FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/805567-1ks-worst-gate-lice-merged-threads.html)

HKBelonger Mar 26, 2008 6:54 pm

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Okay, I understand that most define Gate Lice to be individuals with Group 4 boarding passes crowding the area, but consider this...

3/25 UA703 SEA-LAX -- There are three people lined up on the red carpet before the GA even arrives, 1:05 prior to departure. 15 minutes before boarding, there are 25-30 people lined up awaiting red carpet boarding. I understand the overhead space issue, but this is a 757 boarding from the second door so anyone in F doesn't need to sweat it. Isn't part of the benefit of being a 1K not having to act like you're flying WN?

lucky9876coins Mar 26, 2008 7:01 pm

Heheh, I love seeing that! Nothing cracks me up more than the red carpet circus, with the stereotypical guy with his bluetooth headset, gold BP in his shirt pocket, jockeying the pole with the rope as if there's some massive rush to get aboard. I'm with you, I don't get it, but I do love watching it!

BlissWorld Mar 26, 2008 7:12 pm

Rare F flyers who want everyone to know that they are flying in F :rolleyes:

:D

afrugal1 Mar 26, 2008 7:15 pm

Great thread...gate lice...LOL! :p

Randy_VA Mar 26, 2008 7:27 pm

The human sees a line and the voice screams in its head "HEY THERE'S A LINE I CANNOT RESIST THE PULL!" thus the lice fulfills its destiny. Maybe they think someone is handing out free Cheetos to the first in line???

Sheep, all sheep.

Baaaaa

Wiggums Mar 26, 2008 7:28 pm

A lot of them do travel with big bags and they want to ensure there is sufficient overhead space. I do that sometimes.

grayland Mar 26, 2008 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Wiggums (Post 9471652)
A lot of them do travel with big bags and they want to ensure there is sufficient overhead space. I do that sometimes.

Actually, I do it sometimes when I need bin space.;)..or if the boarding area is crowded and there is no where to sit.
If you have an bulkhead seat in first...you better get in there or someone from Y will have filled it up on the way by.;)

The worst place for the "early and long red carpet line" is in SFO. I have seen 20 to 30 people in it 15 minutes before boarding.

UnitedF1RST Mar 26, 2008 7:33 pm

I sometimes act like an 80 year old stowing my bags so as to not hold up the line of people boarding (which usually is just the people with a row 1 BP...) I like to get on there first. So yes I do this sometimes.

Being a young F flyer I like watching people look at me like "uhh buddy you're line is over there" pointing to the other side of the red carpet. Then I like to casually flash my gold BP and watch them do the "ohhh nevermind" look with their facial expressions.

alliance Mar 26, 2008 7:34 pm

When the gate lice are everywhere, sometimes the only place to hide is on the red carpet. :D

UNITED959 Mar 26, 2008 7:52 pm

Sometimes my "I'm flying in First Class" shirt isn't enough. :D :D :D

sinoflyer Mar 26, 2008 7:57 pm

This is where my RCC membership is truly worth the money, because I can be spared from witnessing this spectacle.

simplyme Mar 26, 2008 8:11 pm

In SFO last month I was flying a 3 class 777 to ORD. The whole gate area was full of passengers in a long line.

We were all waiting to start boarding when this guy runs up while on his cell phone not realizing that boarding had not started and was startled when he actually noticed the long line of people. He then tried to cut in front of everyone by saying "are all of you 1Ks?" It was fun to watch the reaction when a number of folks around me just as snootily said "uh yes".

He put his head down and proceeded to the back of the line.

But to respond more on point to the OP, I typically walk up after my boarding group is called and don't care about my "spot" in line as I don't typically carry on. Only once I tried to be first and that was because I was in row 1 with the bulkhead and carryon luggage on an EMB 170.

fnothaft Mar 26, 2008 8:17 pm

I actually do this sometimes just because I'm so damned paranoid about missing my flight.

The way I see it, if I don't board right when I can, the door will close and I'll be stuck at the airport forever.:eek:

I'm strange.:D

nerd Mar 26, 2008 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST (Post 9471695)
Being a young F flyer I like watching people look at me like "uhh buddy you're line is over there" pointing to the other side of the red carpet. Then I like to casually flash my gold BP and watch them do the "ohhh nevermind" look with their facial expressions.

Funny. This gets mentioned on FlyerTalk all the time.

As a young F flyer, I never once experienced this. Maybe, at the time, I wasn't preoccupied trying to find people I could "casually flash" my gold BP to? :eek: ;)

spikerjack Mar 26, 2008 8:24 pm

Wow....I knew I had a wierd fetish for early squatting on the red carpet, but this new "gate lice" label has me thinking twice about it - or at least looking over my shoulder at the FTers laughing their ... off at me. Even I laugh at myself sometimes at the way I fight for position on the carpet before boarding starts. What a douche I must be.

For me its usually just wanting to guarantee my bag gets up....no other excuse. If I check and I don't have a bulkhead...I'll be the last one on the plane every time.....

Ugh.

--Scott