Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Maybe the term you are looking for is meta-elitism? i.e., "thinking that you are better than the elitists."
Ummm.... no, actually I think "reverse" is better...

Meta- prefix usually means an analysis of an analysis, or some sort of higher governing of an initial intrinsic process, etc...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...1&t=1291843551

Reverse implies the 'victim' is now becoming the 'oppressor', that is, the supposed non-elite is becoming the elitist. In this case, the supposed non-obnoxious is being totally obnoxious. Like "reverse discrimination" <political comment removed by moderator>.

But we digress...

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 8, 2010 at 2:54 pm Reason: removed a political comment
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Continental, Marriott, Starwood & Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz P.C.
Shouldn't this be merged with the "least substantive thing you can complain about" thread??

One thing that I really miss that Continental used to do is board the elites, wait a long time (five minutes-ish or until everyone was in their seats) before calling group 1. When they did this, there was never crowding on the blue carpet. Maybe it is a luxury they don't have with a quick turn, but when they can they should do it.

I will not go on a flight before I will gate check a bag, so I line up early. Don't like it....too bad! On CR7's in F, if you are not one of the first two on board you will have to store your luggage in Economy because the carry on space is laughable. Gate checking similar to regular bag check takes too long. And, YES, the new baggage fees and policies have made this problem MUCH worse. When is the last flight anyone has had where gate checking due to full overhead bins didn't take at least 5 or more minutes.

To me, gate lice are much less annoying than people with more than one carry-on and one personal item, or people with a carryon that could fit a adult body in it. On Sunday there was a PAX with a carry on that was bigger than my 26" Tumi bag that I routinely check.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: 1K, HH Gold VIP, Plat PC, Ex National, Plat Amex
I do the opposite of gate licing the RC. I will wait in the RCC and leave about when boarding has started. By the time I get to my gate, the RC line is empty and the GA has extended the strap to stop anyone from going there. I walk up to it, the GA stops the regular line from boarding and I listen to the sweet sounds of the passengers appauled and jeering at me. One day I'd like to turn back and say a smart remark back to the jeering crowd.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy

On a flight back from China the GAs lined everyone up by boarding area before they opened boarding. All the elites, then zone 1, etc. It was pretty funny, but very orderly.
You don't need to go to China. Check out B17 at ORD when they're boarding an LH flight. Single file line all the way back to the bagel shop.

Also, Southwest! Talk about an orderly and prioritized boarding system.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:14 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by vianzonparty
I do the opposite of gate licing the RC. I will wait in the RCC and leave about when boarding has started. By the time I get to my gate, the RC line is empty and the GA has extended the strap to stop anyone from going there. I walk up to it, the GA stops the regular line from boarding and I listen to the sweet sounds of the passengers appauled and jeering at me. One day I'd like to turn back and say a smart remark back to the jeering crowd.
I don't recommend trying this at LAX (even without the smart remark!), or at least not relying on it to work, as the GA may just send you to the end of the economy line!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
I don't recommend trying this at LAX (even without the smart remark!), or at least not relying on it to work, as the GA may just send you to the end of the economy line!
Interesting. Even with status, they'll put you in the back of the line. That's just awful at LAX.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:30 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Interesting. Even with status, they'll put you in the back of the line. That's just awful at LAX.
I don't think it always happens, just sometimes--but often enough that I wouldn't count on enjoying it!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by cardiomd

"Reverse elitism?" Ridiculous. An Aussie student studying in USA spending $5000 in discount fare tickets will get 1k. People like the above poster are equally noxious to the DYKWIA "elite" businessman IMO.

In all honesty I don't see how any of this nonsense is such a big deal to people. I don't care if my seatmate is 18 or 50 years old; I'd just like them to be courteous and not actively trying to "give someone their comeuppance."

I remember going backpacking once, and this person at one of the campsites goes off on me and my girlfriend at the time, on how we weren't "real campers" because of some of the tools we were using (I think it was something relatively simple like a sterno stove... He was boasting once he really "lived off the land." It was almost comically ridiculous, and completely obnoxious. Same type of thought process as the person above. Oh well.
Missed my whole point, Doc. I want to be "noxious" to self-important posers and relish it when others are "noxious" to such people by something as innocuous as their appearance. I have never seen a punked-out rocker or hippie exchange student question a business-suited geek about whether they belonged on the RC but I have seen the reverse on more than one occasion.
Also, in my business I have met several millionaires and one billionaire who looked and dressed like bums. So never qualify someone based on their appearance or you might get your comeuppance!

Oh, and for the record, I have never been asked if I belong on the RC, but then I do look like John Matuzak.

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 9, 2010 at 7:01 am
Old Dec 9, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I walk up to it, the GA stops the regular line from boarding and I listen to the sweet sounds of the passengers appauled and jeering at me. One day I'd like to turn back and say a smart remark back to the jeering crowd.
I have had that happen to me couple of times at least. Once I had a young mother with kids call me out, saying there is a line here. Someone explained to her that he is probably elite or first class. I did not look back to see the expression on her face.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I could argue that 1Ks are the worst. This guy was on the red carpet 25 minutes before boarding started..

Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
I have had that happen to me couple of times at least. Once I had a young mother with kids call me out, saying there is a line here. Someone explained to her that he is probably elite or first class. I did not look back to see the expression on her face.
Isn't that the truth. Most times, I give them the benefit of the doubt, ie bad travel day, kids are not nice, maybe just a awful day for people. That usually holds me over till I forget about that incident but like many others that have said in this thread, there are the jerks that push and bump and think they are the golden child. Those are the people I like to see get the shaft, whatever the shaft is.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I don't know if anyone was going through LAX on 12/4 when they had that Christmas party near gate 74 in T7.

It was so crowded with gate lice even with the Christmas party fenced in, maybe 30 minutes before departure-took my seat in C just shortly before takeoff
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Someone explained to her that he is probably elite or first class.
We haven't heard any such grumblings while boarding. At the security line it was another matter, as per my favorite title of the threads I've started: "Cheater," she hissed at me across the security line rope.

Edited to add: I see below that Friendly Skies has had similar experiences in DEN.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Flying out of DEN in May, the line for security was about three hundred people deep. I was late getting to the airport, and my flight was departing in fourty minutes, so I was in a bit of a rush. Luckily the priority security line was open, letting me instantly bypass every single person in line. I got at least five , and multiple people saying "why does he get to cut the line".. I did not make eye contact, and just kept moving.. I wouldn't be surprised if I would have gotten the finger from a few people.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Flying out of DEN in May, the line for security was about three hundred people deep.
During the holidays DEN really gets into 300 person deep line. Even the elite line becomes 20 person deep, which takes about 10-15 mins to cross.

The way I explain to people about it is, this line is for people who do not have a life. You seem to have a life so take it easy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.