Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:07 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Honestly, the guy has a point. FC wouldn't exist if there wasn't a market for people who pay for it.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guy definitely needs to get over himself. No one is that important.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:12 pm

Several of us enjoyed the two GSs in IAD a few weeks ago who tried to crash the red carpet line, saying that there is a third line apparently just for GS. Several other GSs in the front refused to budge.

Of course I had a chuckle when after pushing in front of me, they both turned right and sat in E- while the rest of us turned left...
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: United 1K Hilton Gold
If some DYKWIA jerk attempted to take my food because they felt they were more important than me (sitting in my upgraded seat) I would smack them straight in the face. Simply due to the disrespect, even if I wasn't planning to eat it (90% of the time I eat before I get on the plane, especially if I'm only confirmed in economy).

I really don't care about the economics principles behind it. Being rich is no excuse for being rude.

Does he have a legitamate beef against United? Maybe. Touching another passengers food, regardless of what they paid, is ALWAYS out of bounds.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Someone should have tried to throw him out the door while up in the air, because without all the lower-revenue people buying other seats on the plane UA wouldn't be able to afford to make a flight just for a lone GS.

I kid, I kid. But anyone this self important needs to either hire their own personal jet or shut up. Unless, of course, he's buying his tickets as a form of welfare to support other fliers, which I somehow doubt was the case.

Edit: I should add that what's more amazing than this one individual's behavior is the fact that the vast majority of upper-tier elites that I have encountered are not at all full of themselves. I think that fact says something good about society.

Last edited by endrond; Feb 27, 2010 at 9:38 pm
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Amazing. Truly. Where was the FA during all of this? So much for "security" Guess he should have been met at his destination by the police, lose his ability to fly, and then he wouldn't have to worry about flying not the way he wants again.

When I see/hear stuff like this I just think "take a private plane instead and make us all happy!"
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by inpd
He then tries to take someone else's tray of
food because it wouldn't be there if he didn't pay
I would definitely have given him my tray of food. In fact, I can't believe no one did.

If I was really sharp (unlikely, I'm in a daze when I fly), I might have then offered him the fleece blanket I carry with me too -- "here, want blankie so you can have nap time after snack?"

(But no, I would NOT have given him my seat. Why was Mr. "I pay for my tickets" in 1D anyway, when there was at least one UGer (assuming OP cleared at gate, which is what it sounds like)? Did he literally plop down his credit card after the gate UG's were processed, or is he just too daft to reserve a seat?)
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
How did the fa's and other pax respond ?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by inpd
I get upgraded to 1C (yeah!) he gets 1D which on a 752
is arguably the worst seat because 1C and 1D get less
legroom than E+ but in 1D you can't stretch your legs into
the aisle. So he's not happy to say the least.

Then they start serving meals from the rear of the cabin (about
10 First class seats). They serve us last and we have no meal choice.
Your story doesn't really add up.

UA domestic 757's have 24 First class seats and not "about 10". UA flight attendants take meal orders by status unlike AA's FEBO.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by holtju2
Your story doesn't really add up.

UA domestic 757's have 24 First class seats and not "about 10". UA flight attendants take meal orders by status unlike AA's FEBO.
You must not fly all that often if you have never encountered an FA take meal orders incorrectly.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
You must not fly all that often if you have never encountered an FA take meal orders incorrectly.
Yeah. Only about 400K EQM on UA last year. More than 200K BIS.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by holtju2
Yeah. Only about 400K EQM on UA last year. More than 200K BIS.
Then no worries...answer the question honestly. In your 200K BIS yearly, has an FA ever taken a meal order incorrectly?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by supergabe
Honestly, the guy has a point. FC wouldn't exist if there wasn't a market for people who pay for it.
Yes but paying for FC doesn't mean you are a GS. I pay for lots of FC fares Nd am only a 1k.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, 1.6MM
What % of GS flyers actually gain GS status from flights that he/she actually pay for themselves? In other words, I believe the majority of GS members earn it from flying with their companies on business travel, so it's even more annoying to hear people rant as if it is their own money that earned them this status.

There was a recent GS rant in F from FRA to SFO where I heard the fellow complain, "I paid $10,000 for this ticket and I have no where to store my bag? This is ridiculous." Later, I overheard him say that he was travelling for business for a big company. Too bad they make him pay for his own international tickets in F...
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I would love to hear you tell a GS whiner in the face that it doesn't matter since his/her company is paying for the ticket. They would probably blow their stack and have a complete meltdown on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.