Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
and the funny things is, we all get to $destination at the same time
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by randyqx
and the funny things is, we all get to $destination at the same time
Sure, but not everyone gets their bags in the overheads. Some can get checked...
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Sure, but not everyone gets their bags in the overheads. Some can get checked...
i check my bag at the ticket counter. my carry-on backpack of geek gear is enough to deal with. and i am old enough that i try not to be in such a rush through life.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Some people just need to relax and let things go. There are more important things in life to worry about than fighting over overhead space or get on the plane a few minutes earlier than someone else. At the end of the day, the plane is not going to leave without the people ahead or behind us. I don't see people fighting to get on the bus or train. Is it because bus and train don't create different level of classes amongst the passengers.

I am wondering if the airlines help to create that tension. I can't speak for everyone, but I personally have seen people, who behave perfectly and patiently at rental car parking lots, check-in counters, and airport security lines, all the sudden become rude, impatient, and develop the sense of entitlement as soon as they get the gate areas or RCCs.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Oct 8, 2005 at 1:24 pm
Old Oct 8, 2005, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by FCYTravis
Global Services Plus! Start the rumors, someone! Quick, there's not enough elite tiers or VIP programs as it is! All those regular UGS folks are diluting the pool!
It's not well known, but TransPac and LHR were not the only things UA got from PanAm. They also landed the Space Station V and Clavius Base route authorities, as well as a great deal on the Orion III (OR3) spaceplanes. So they had to create a new Mileage Plus level for the folks who flew a million miles a year, as well as a new program to reward the real big spenders.

When I worked for Boeing I used to do the weekly run between KSC and ISS on UAS (United Airlines Space) which earned me this. The nice thing about being a Premier Executive 100K was that I always got UD on the STS. ^

I hear our own RobotDoctor is scheduled to become the next USS, thanks to having to make a service call out to the Cassini probe at Saturn. The Denver-Titan (DEN-TIT) flight was sold out in all classes but F(TL), so he really pegged the revenue and mileage meters with the trip.

P.S. - I hear he ran into CharlesMD catching a AA flight.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 8:30 am

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
It's not well known, but TransPac and LHR were not the only things UA got from PanAm. They also landed the Space Station V and Clavius Base route authorities, as well as a great deal on the Orion III (OR3) spaceplanes. So they had to create a new Mileage Plus level for the folks who flew a million miles a year, as well as a new program to reward the real big spenders.

When I worked for Boeing I used to do the weekly run between KSC and ISS on UAS (United Airlines Space) which earned me this. The nice thing about being a Premier Executive 100K was that I always got UD on the STS. ^

I hear our own RobotDoctor is scheduled to become the next USS, thanks to having to make a service call out to the Cassini probe at Saturn. The Denver-Titan (DEN-TIT) flight was sold out in all classes but F(TL), so he really pegged the revenue and mileage meters with the trip.

P.S. - I hear he ran into CharlesMD catching a AA flight.
This is exactly what I need this morning to wake up. ^

Too funny...
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:47 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Some people just need to relax and let things go. There are more important things in life to worry about than fighting over overhead space or get on the plane a few minutes earlier than someone else. At the end of the day, the plane is not going to leave without the people ahead or behind us. I don't see people fighting to get on the bus or train. Is it because bus and train don't create different level of classes amongst the passengers.

I am wondering if the airlines help to create that tension. I can't speak to everyone, but I personally have seen people, who behave perfectly and patiently at rental car parking lots, check-in counters, and airport security lines, all the sudden become rude, impatient, and develp sense of entitlement as soon as they get the gate areas or RCCs.
I think there are many things that may go into creating that tension to which you refer, including a general apprehension of being "screwed" if one is not vigilant and assertive of their rights when flying. With fewer possibilities of being somehow "screwed" at rental car parking lots, check-in counters, and airport security, less apprehension and thus less tension. (And how might one "act out" in a security line anyway, when there is no choice but to passively queue up.)

I do agree about the wisdom of a more laid back approach, though can't say I am myself always in the laid back mode.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 1:51 am

Programs: UAL M+
Originally Posted by dartagnan
As a young, and young looking quasi-professional, I certainly get my share of queer looks when I get in line to board with the First passengers or Premier passengers. I don't understand why people can't get the fact that not everyone who is a frequent flier is 40+ wearing a suit.
Ya, I'm with you completely on this. I'm 23, I've been 2P for 3 years now, all on leisure travel, and I like to fly first and business (on PS). It is amazing how many looks I get when I'm sitting up front from so many people. Same when boarding or using premiere checkin lines, people always give me dirty looks. Maybe it's because I wear jeanes and tennis shoes, (with a polo most of the time), I look too dressed down for all the average fliers and business men who are envious.

And on the sublect of that @$$hole, I would have immediately had the police called and had him arrested for assault and battery. I'd have rubbed it in his face as much as I could. Travelers like that make me want to preboard and pee on their sear (on a full flight so they can't move). Sorry UA, you'll need to pull our the steam cleaner.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:32 am

Programs: United Guy, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5 Star, Hair Club for Men Plutonium
Originally Posted by cozdabuch
.... Travelers like that make me want to preboard and pee on their seat...

Hmmmm..... is you dad named Gerard by chance?
Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:02 am

Programs: UAL
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich
Hmmmm..... is you dad named Gerard by chance?
I don't think so. If it were, he'd wait until boarding was complete and all the passengers were seated, included the passenger in the seat that's the intended "target".

Assuming, of course, that the, errr..., apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cozdabuch
Ya, I'm with you completely on this. I'm 23, I've been 2P for 3 years now, all on leisure travel, and I like to fly first and business (on PS). It is amazing how many looks I get when I'm sitting up front from so many people. Same when boarding or using premiere checkin lines, people always give me dirty looks. Maybe it's because I wear jeanes and tennis shoes, (with a polo most of the time), I look too dressed down for all the average fliers and business men who are envious.

And on the sublect of that @$$hole, I would have immediately had the police called and had him arrested for assault and battery. I'd have rubbed it in his face as much as I could. Travelers like that make me want to preboard and pee on their sear (on a full flight so they can't move). Sorry UA, you'll need to pull our the steam cleaner.
Slightly OT, but I'm 28, look that or younger and am always upfront andusing Premier lines. I'm almost always in jeans and a polo when I travel. I have NEVER ONCE received a dirty look or a question from anyone (staff or pax.) when traveling. **shrug**
Old Oct 9, 2005, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Slightly OT, but I'm 28, look that or younger and am always upfront andusing Premier lines. I'm almost always in jeans and a polo when I travel. I have NEVER ONCE received a dirty look or a question from anyone (staff or pax.) when traveling. **shrug**
You must just look like you belong
Old Oct 9, 2005, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
I get funny looks also, I am over 40 and wear a polo and shorts as often as possible. Here are a few situations I recall.
"they just called 1st class" my response was "so?"
I have also been pushed out of the way by people who have said " I'm a Premier let me thru", I said "well that sure beats me I'm just a 1k"
Old Oct 9, 2005, 1:29 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
Beaten to a pulp with pillows
Are the UGS "Mr. Pillows" and "personal milk" stories true?
Old Oct 9, 2005, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Are the UGS "Mr. Pillows" and "personal milk" stories true?
Is the Pope Catholic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.