Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:58 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Stereotyping's faster, but...

I'm not really comfortable with calling out the best rant by any particular elite group, whether it's GS or GM. There are no restrictions or requirements regarding cluelessness, lack of class or tact associated with any level of flyer. To single out GS alone implies otherwise.

On the other hand, nothing wrong with a thread about inappropriate rants, and provide elite level for context. That could be amusing without the risk of stereotyping.

Yeah, I know, stereotyping's faster.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:02 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
LOL....he must have been a GS-Lite. He sounds like a cheeky bugger to me..
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:30 am

If the FA's had followed their own SOP, this guy would not have had the opportunity to show his true colors.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:41 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by #10
If the FA's had followed their own SOP, this guy would not have had the opportunity to show his true colors.
Agree. Although I have not acted as a DYKWIA as I have read on FT, the times this meal procedure wasn't properly followed have netted me some nice CS vouchers.

It's SOP and the FA's should follow it. It's not that hard to do. (And I certainly don't mean getting served first, as some might demand).

And as far as the seat, well, here goes the urban legend that GS' can kick someone out of a preassigned seat.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by inpd
Hi,

Flying from DCA to Denver so maybe Global Service member
as a politician type which would explain a lot.

The guy just blows up.

Says they should have started serving
him first since he is a GS and he should be sitting in 2D not 1D.
Which he may have a point to. But then it got really funny, since
he's walking up and down the aisle telling everyone in FC that they
are only there because he pays for his tickets and doesn't use
upgrade coupons. He then tries to take someone else's tray of
food because it wouldn't be there if he didn't pay and it goes on
and on. The entire rant basis was that FC is only here because GS members
pay for it to be here and the "leeches" (his words) upgrade on their backs.

Can anyone top that?
I would appreciate more details as the post raises more questions:

1. Politician usually travel on government fares. I doubt a politician would pay for F on this route unless he is traveling on his own dimes or someone else's dime but not taxpayers. He is unlikely to be a politician.... may be a Washington lawyer or lobbyst.

2. DCA-DEN: Is it a practice to have an Air Marshall on board of flights to/from DCA. If there was an air marshall, where was he in the mix of this?

3. Love to hear more about the reactions from fellow passengers and FA.

Originally Posted by ralphwiggum
What % of GS flyers actually gain GS status from flights that he/she actually pay for themselves? In other words, I believe the majority of GS members earn it from flying with their companies on business travel, so it's even more annoying to hear people rant as if it is their own money that earned them this status.

There was a recent GS rant in F from FRA to SFO where I heard the fellow complain, "I paid $10,000 for this ticket and I have no where to store my bag? This is ridiculous." Later, I overheard him say that he was travelling for business for a big company. Too bad they make him pay for his own international tickets in F...
IMHO, whether the passengers or the companies they work for paying for F/C is irrelevant when it comes to complaining about airline services.

I and several long time FTers frequently travel for business on our employers' dimes. And some of us have control over the airlines we want to fly. I, for one, can pick any airlines. I have the ability to take business away from UA. I seldom complain and I fly a lot of UA. My complains on UA are not about food or looks of the FA or inconsistency of service quality. My typical complains are loss of baggage, delays caused by maintenance, broken seats, IFE, restroom, etc. As a business travelers, what upsets me most is that I cannot make it to my meetings on time due to mechanical delays or the broken seats affects how I feel at arrival to perform my job.

My employer pays me a very good salary to fly to places to get jobs done well and on time. If the airline fails to deliver what I expect it to deliver , then I have the right to complain or take my business elsewhere regardless whether it is me or my employer pay for the tickets.

Do you think UA's business focus is on wealth individuals over business travellers? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Feb 28, 2010 at 3:52 pm
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:55 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ralphwiggum
What % of GS flyers actually gain GS status from flights that he/she actually pay for themselves? In other words, I believe the majority of GS members earn it from flying with their companies on business travel, so it's even more annoying to hear people rant as if it is their own money that earned them this status.

There was a recent GS rant in F from FRA to SFO where I heard the fellow complain, "I paid $10,000 for this ticket and I have no where to store my bag? This is ridiculous." Later, I overheard him say that he was travelling for business for a big company. Too bad they make him pay for his own international tickets in F...
I am so sick of people complaining that people whose companies pay for their travel don't pay for it. That these people work and that their employers are willing pay for F or C for them. They have earned it with their blood, sweat and tears. Think of it of part of their compensation.

Don't like it?-- go work for a company that is willing to value you enough to pay C or F for you. (I'm not implying that you don't work for one, but seriously, your point, if there is one, is bunk).
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Ari
I am so sick of people complaining that people whose companies pay for their travel don't pay for it. That these people work and that their employers are willing pay for F or C for them. They have earned it with their blood, sweat and tears. Think of it of part of their compensation.

Don't like it?-- go work for a company that is willing to value you enough to pay C or F for you. (I'm not implying that you don't work for one, but seriously, your point, if there is one, is bunk).
+1 ^
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Ari
They have earned it with their blood, sweat and tears
ROFL!!! You can't be referring to your average corporate job, can you?

At any rate, regardless of who is paying for the ticket - the flyer, the flyer's company, the flyer's mommy or daddy - such behavior is not acceptable....
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:41 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
if it happened the way it was told, afaic, the pax was wrong to act like a child. yes the pax is g/s and yes, "g/s is g/s" but deal with it afterwards/after the flight. the pax is very lucky that his actions didn't cause the flight to divert "due to security reasons" as we all know, flights have been diverted for less (and if it did divert, you can be sure as "anything" that there would be a lot more fallout due to the other pax on the flight being dis-serviced by this yutz)

just my two hockey pucks
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
Originally Posted by liveon777
I don't often post on the UA forum, but something I witnessed today just floored me.

I was on UA620 the 4pm from ORD-DCA this afternoon. It was running a bit behind schedule (considering the 3 something flight was still at the gate at 4pm). Finally, the GA announced it was time to board, and to expedite, she announced all UGS, First Class, and *A Golds could board first (though I think it pretty much goes this way on most flights). As a *Gold and US CP, I got in line, about 20 people deep. A younger guy, maybe 25, hopped in line with the rest of us. An older guy (no, I don't mean elderly, just older than the first guy), immediately proceeds to grab him by the shoulder and say "They announced Global Services, not you" very loudly. Two other travellers moved a bit closer to stave off any conflict, I was one.
The younger man turned around and looked at the man with a "huh? this is weird" look and proceed to turn around toward the gate. The older man then grabbed him by the shoulder again and pulled him backward towards him. That is when a couple of us stepped up and got between them.
The younger man stated, "They called First Class, UGS and Star Alliance Gold all at the same time, and I got bumped from an earlier flight".
The older man said, "Well I'm UGS and I've been bumped before". The younger man kepped his mouth shut.

Funny thing was, as we boarded, older guy was seated in 7D, younger guy was in 1D, as in First Class. I got a very big laugh out of this, and said so to the younger guy. He just winked. Pretty funny stuff.
As the famous quote says, [t]The only exercise some people get is jumping to conclusions".
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: United 1K, 1.6MM
Originally Posted by Ari
I was sitting in F with this guy.

Folks have every right to complain, but why qualify the loud rants that everyone in F cabin can hear with, "I paid $x..."? Wouldn't it be enough to say what's wrong without having to inflate one's chest and let everyone know how important he/she is? That's the bunk point.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
My 2 cents

I think it is not appropriate for that GS to say what he did to the other pax. I wonder if he was an FTer. How does he know how many pax upgraded and how many paid? I think his argument is valid; he just should have been more discreet about it.

For those who argue that the GS is only GS is because of the company, I agree with that. It's not that the GS is shelling out $5000 of his personal cash to fly from SFO-IAD in C; it's the company that does it. I sometimes get into paid F domestic or paid C international from work, and it kind of feels like "cheating" with the class of service bonus, etc. I would never pay the ridiculous amounts of money to fly domestic first, but if my clients or work will, sure no problem. So the GS is sort of "riding off the coattails" or "standing on the shoulders" of the company to get his GS status. I think this is probably a large reason that many GS's have that status: using other people's money.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
For those who argue that the GS is only GS is because of the company, I agree with that. It's not that the GS is shelling out $5000 of his personal cash to fly from SFO-IAD in C; it's the company that does it. I sometimes get into paid F domestic or paid C international from work, and it kind of feels like "cheating" with the class of service bonus, etc. I would never pay the ridiculous amounts of money to fly domestic first, but if my clients or work will, sure no problem. So the GS is sort of "riding off the coattails" or "standing on the shoulders" of the company to get his GS status. I think this is probably a large reason that many GS's have that status: using other people's money.
*yawn* That statement can be made about any elite status -- any airline level, any hotel level, any car level, etc. Most make it from business travel. Some make it from personal, or a mix.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by jgsx
*yawn* That statement can be made about any elite status -- any airline level, any hotel level, any car level, etc. Most make it from business travel. Some make it from personal, or a mix.

Another 1K hatin' on GS.
You are an exception, rather than the rule for GS.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:28 am

Can't be hatin'

Originally Posted by jgsx
Another 1K hatin' on GS.
No hating from me. Life's too short to be hating.

But I do personally know 3 GS's. They are all GS because of work, not because they shell out personal cash of $5000 to fly SFO-IAD or $2500 to fly SFO-DEN.

Those GS's who are out there from personal funds are probably the exception, rather than the rule. I would bet that most GS's got to be GS because of company/work travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.