Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2005, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
I say they should give GAs the power to deduct status
Old Oct 9, 2005, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by thelark
I'm in my early 20's and look it. I fly F perhaps 90% of the time and am 1k. I do not wear a suit unless I have a meeting immediately following the flight (jeans, sneakers and, depending upon the shirt, maybe a jacket but, granted, my clothing is not cheap by any means - perhaps everyone just happens to have a sense of style whether or not they exhibit it). I have *never* been questioned by any pax or noticed any snide looks, etc.

What I have noticed here is that the majority of people have commented as to how they would answer/have answered such people in the past. I do not understand why anyone would feel a need to justify themselves in any way to any other passenger. Should I ever be in such a situation I believe my response would be something along the lines of "Shut up and leave me alone" or "Here's a condom, go **** yourself" if I were particularly annoyed. But then again, I take pleasure in chopping people down
Lark-do you upgrade or are you paying for F?Not to be nosy,or snide.just curious.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Hmmmm-so ugs is the top 1% of revenue passengers-plus a few others who are invited in.
How many UGS patrons will there be in an average year?
We are lucky to have a few of these posting here as they have lots of experiences to share,and I thank them for that.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Hmmmm-so ugs is the top 1% of revenue passengers-plus a few others who are invited in.
How many UGS patrons will there be in an average year?
We are lucky to have a few of these posting here as they have lots of experiences to share,and I thank them for that.
No-one knows for sure, but estimates are around 10,000 IIRC
Old Oct 9, 2005, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat,DL PM,HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chaneytexas
Or at least a public recognition of how attitudes can demerit the benefit of their status!
Old Oct 9, 2005, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by chaneytexas
Or have it be like Survivor, where other elites can vote squirrely members out of elite status
Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:10 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
No-one knows for sure, but estimates are around 10,000 IIRC
Uhh... so not even close.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Are the UGS "Mr. Pillows" and "personal milk" stories true?
Originally Posted by grayland
Is the Pope Catholic?
Yes, and His Holiness John Paul II liked to travel like a UGS on a specially-configured TWA 767:

"While aboard Shepherd One, the Pope enjoyed a choice of roasted veal, beef tenderloin pignoli, chervil chicken, salmon with linguine, caviar, Godiva chocolates, and Haagen-Dazs, resting in a custom-made curtained bed that took the space of four (international first class) seats on the 767 plane."

Last edited by UAL_Rulez; Oct 10, 2005 at 5:20 am Reason: added link to pictures
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by grayland
Is the Pope Catholic?
"Donors and vendors supplied amenities like an antique silver razor and toothbrush, monogramming on the headsets and fine china and crystal for the aisle cart service."

Would this be allowed in today's post 9/11 era?

And what about the FAM??

TA: And here you go.... 7C, your Holiness.
POPE: How come I'm sitting so far back?
TA: Sorry, for reasons of security, 2B, where your bed is, has been reassigned.
Pope: What?! But that's my bed!

Last edited by IceTrojan; Oct 10, 2005 at 12:24 pm
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
"fine china and crystal for the aisle cart service."
Mon Dieu! SERVING FROM CARTS in International First Class! Unacceptable!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
Mon Dieu! SERVING FROM CARTS in International First Class! Unacceptable!
Depends on the definition of "cart". If it is a catering cart, then it was unacceptable then and it is now.

If it is the two-tiered trolleys I see in UA F (and on occasion UA C), then I am fine with it. ^
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
It's good to see that others were trying to prevent a punch up. I would probably have egged on the younger bloke to smash the UGS's face in.

I think the problem stems from people who wave their status like a flag getting what they want. Sometimes one has to say F off.

A few weeks ago I was sitting on the tarmac at CMH while a ground stoppage at ORD kept delaying our take-off. One fellow started shouting at the FA and Pilot, demanding to be let off so he could take a different flight on a "real airline". In my book, he had crossed the line into air rage. As he walked up and down the aisle shouting at res. agents on his cell phone, he would deliberately bang into people's arms, newspapers, seats, etc. I tripped him up at one point but since I am fairly big and had been staring at him, he didn't try anything. After 15 minutes of this, the captain made an announcement that he would allow anyone disgruntled with the delay to deplane and be accomodated on another flight. Five minutes later, a minivan pulls up and this guy and a couple of others decide to leave the aircraft. Most of us, including the FA were very surprised. I've seen pregnant women and plenty of people in pain pleading to be let off the aircraft many a time when an aircraft gets parked on the runway due to a delay but I've never seen a captain actually allow an arsehole to get off after he has insulted almost everyone on the aircraft.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
After 15 minutes of this, the captain made an announcement that he would allow anyone disgruntled with the delay to deplane and be accomodated on another flight. Five minutes later, a minivan pulls up and this guy and a couple of others decide to leave the aircraft. Most of us, including the FA were very surprised.
The captain probably knew that the groundhold would continue into later flights, thus get that DB into ORD even later

Karma.... it's what's for dinner! ^
Old Oct 10, 2005, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
I hear our own RobotDoctor is scheduled to become the next USS, thanks to having to make a service call out to the Cassini probe at Saturn. The Denver-Titan (DEN-TIT) flight was sold out in all classes but F(TL), so he really pegged the revenue and mileage meters with the trip.
Man, talk about Space Lag. I need a vacation. I think Mars is sounding good to me.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Best Rant by a GS Member?

Hi,

Thought I would share with you as it was way too funny.
Can anyone top it?

Flying from DCA to Denver so maybe Global Service member
as a politician type which would explain a lot.

I get upgraded to 1C (yeah!) he gets 1D which on a 752
is arguably the worst seat because 1C and 1D get less
legroom than E+ but in 1D you can't stretch your legs into
the aisle. So he's not happy to say the least.

Then they start serving meals from the rear of the cabin (about
10 First class seats). They serve us last and we have no meal choice.

The guy just blows up.

Says they should have started serving
him first since he is a GS and he should be sitting in 2D not 1D.
Which he may have a point to. But then it got really funny, since
he's walking up and down the aisle telling everyone in FC that they
are only there because he pays for his tickets and doesn't use
upgrade coupons. He then tries to take someone else's tray of
food because it wouldn't be there if he didn't pay and it goes on
and on. The entire rant basis was that FC is only here because GS members
pay for it to be here and the "leeches" (his words) upgrade on their backs.

Can anyone top that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.