Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2005, 5:40 am

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
Originally Posted by kcvt750
Would have been even funnier if "young guy" was an air marshal.
^ And very likely too since it's on ORD-DCA route.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 5:40 am

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by dcgators
^

Brought in front of the judge for "Assault by UGS".
Beaten to a pulp with pillows
Old Oct 7, 2005, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
Beaten to a pulp with pillows
Dunked in milk, tarred and feathered.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 6:44 am

Programs: United 1k 1 MM
Originally Posted by AApokes08
UGS sitting in economy is probably rare. But you are right, maybe he was pissed off that he didn't get in first.
On my ORD-IAD flight on Tuesday afternoon, I was seated 9D and there was an UGS member seated 10A. I know this becuase I saw his PB that he was using as a bookmark. Pleasant guy who chatted up the woman in 10C for a while. Didn't seem to mind being in coach.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I usually dress down on my flights to South Florida, and got dirty looks from a couple of 2Ps in suits behind me and heard their sarcastic remarks about " some people just don't know their place around here".

I pulled my 1K card ( for some unknown reasons I got a blue boarding pass that day), and smiled, waved at them and watched them got embarassed.....
I get this several times a year and it seems to happen exclusively on the ORD-DCA route. I jsut smile politely and say"I never did mind about the little things." Then as I turn left upon boarding and the sceptical person turns right, I say to them "Have a good flight!"
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:31 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
This guy was Completely Out of Line. There is no reason for him to get aggressive with the younger passenger. He should have been informed that his behavior was wrong.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by PremEx
"...many United front line personnel refer privately to many a Global, as a "Globhole."
I hadn't heard this one before. LMAO!!
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by kcvt750
Would have been even funnier if "young guy" was an air marshal.
...or an operations/customer service/pax services supervisor within UA
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:47 am

Programs: UA1K
i think that guy should have gotten decked...but anyway. i'm 24 and premier exec, and i guess i get upset when the GA announces that first class can board but never announces *G and all that stuff. but anyway, the way i look at it, who cares when you board the plane. i don't like boarding early anyway...i'm all about getting on the plane and sitting down and then BAM leave. not sit on the plane for a half hour. i dunno, just my 2 cents.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by haddon90
i think that guy should have gotten decked...but anyway. i'm 24 and premier exec, and i guess i get upset when the GA announces that first class can board but never announces *G and all that stuff. but anyway, the way i look at it, who cares when you board the plane. i don't like boarding early anyway...i'm all about getting on the plane and sitting down and then BAM leave. not sit on the plane for a half hour. i dunno, just my 2 cents.
When you fly Ted and are sitting in the first 2 rows, boarding early is a must if you need to store anything in the overhead bins.

Plus SEA_Tigger brought another good reason for boarding early. You can see if your seat cushion is bad and get the FA or ground crew to replace it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479413
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Well I wouldn't support hitting the guy, since all that does is confirm you'll be bumped from that flight, as well.

If someone had grabbed me by the shoulder, I'd note that "I am aware UGS is allowed to board at their leisure, but the GA announced Star Golds may board at this time as well."

As for the...gentleman's...attitude, no doubt he was as much a jerk when he was a 1K, a 1P, a 2P, and a GM. It is unlikely GS made them the way they are.

Last edited by SEA_Tigger; Oct 7, 2005 at 9:00 am
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:58 am

If it were me, I would've been threatening battery charges the second he laid one finger on me, and assault charges the second he opened his mouth about it. The UGS dude should just let the agent do their job at screening out who shouldn't be boarding first.

Imagine how bad it would've been if the two were seated next to each other on the flight.

Anyway, I'm a younger guy that's been cut in front of, sneered at, stared at, but fortunate enough not to have been grabbed at, while boarding first. I figure if they're so worried about boarding first, their blood pressure's probably way above mine, and that they're going to die first anyway. Sheesh. Chill people!

Taking it one step further, I'm glad there isn't a priority be-boarding process. Could you imagine what that guy would've done? Probably would've deployed the emergency exits...
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Sometimes a-holes like this get what they deserve. I was boarding a p.s. transcon at SFO a few months ago, and was waiting near, but not crowding, the gate reader. A very nice looking investment banker type young lady is standing next to me and we're both minding our own business. They announce F boarding and we both step up to the reader when a Mr. UGS Self Important suit charges up, shoves his way past both of us and says, "They only called First Class." I looked at the hottie and we both rolled our eyes. Turns out she was Mr. Important's seat opponent and I was in the seat behind him. Once we're on board, she looks at him as if nothing had happened and says, "would you mind switching seats with my friend so we can sit together?" He did, without another word to either of us, clearly embarassed by his idiotic behavior. We had a good laugh about it and enjoyed the flight.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:07 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Ok, let's go!

I might have to start flying UA just so I can experience Go Time while trying to board a flight.

Instead of dropping the gloves, it's drop the carryons.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:07 am

I'm in my early 20's and look it. I fly F perhaps 90% of the time and am 1k. I do not wear a suit unless I have a meeting immediately following the flight (jeans, sneakers and, depending upon the shirt, maybe a jacket but, granted, my clothing is not cheap by any means - perhaps everyone just happens to have a sense of style whether or not they exhibit it). I have *never* been questioned by any pax or noticed any snide looks, etc.

What I have noticed here is that the majority of people have commented as to how they would answer/have answered such people in the past. I do not understand why anyone would feel a need to justify themselves in any way to any other passenger. Should I ever be in such a situation I believe my response would be something along the lines of "Shut up and leave me alone" or "Here's a condom, go **** yourself" if I were particularly annoyed. But then again, I take pleasure in chopping people down
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 2P (former 1P)
Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
Sometimes a-holes like this get what they deserve. I was boarding a p.s. transcon at SFO a few months ago, and was waiting near, but not crowding, the gate reader. A very nice looking investment banker type young lady is standing next to me and we're both minding our own business. They announce F boarding and we both step up to the reader when a Mr. UGS Self Important suit charges up, shoves his way past both of us and says, "They only called First Class." I looked at the hottie and we both rolled our eyes. Turns out she was Mr. Important's seat opponent and I was in the seat behind him. Once we're on board, she looks at him as if nothing had happened and says, "would you mind switching seats with my friend so we can sit together?" He did, without another word to either of us, clearly embarassed by his idiotic behavior. We had a good laugh about it and enjoyed the flight.
I hope you got her number ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.