Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:14 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Garbbed him by the shoulder and pulled him backward? That would have prompted me to tell the agent to call the police for a battery charge. That pompous jagoff wouldn't have been flying on the same plane with me.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Garbbed him by the shoulder and pulled him backward? That would have prompted me to tell the agent to call the police for a battery charge. That pompous jagoff wouldn't have been flying on the same plane with me.
First off, thank you all for indulging me as a non-UA-frequent poster. Yes, this situation would probably be different if everyone were not delayed (it is ORD after all) and I think we all just wanted to get home.
This guy really took the cake.
The really interesting, and fascinating, part was that there was no shortage of folks that were ready to step in. I just happened to be right there.
My first thought afterward was to write to UA, but seeing as I really have no status, figured that was moot. FT was my next idea.
As I will be a frequent DCA-ORD-DCA person (darn why didn't I opt for the RCC portion of the US Club membership?!) I hope to not encounter such a thing again. Though, it is getting to the point where several of us recognize each other by face on Monday mornings.
Anyway, hope y'all have easier boarding procesease.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
It happens, and could explain why he was in the mood he was in. Doesn't excuse it though.

The nice thing about UGS is that you never need to bring status up. If someone else does (and it happens now and then ) then you can just say "You dont want to know".
UGS sitting in economy is probably rare. But you are right, maybe he was pissed off that he didn't get in first.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:35 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
As a young, and young looking quasi-professional, I certainly get my share of queer looks when I get in line to board with the First passengers or Premier passengers. I don't understand why people can't get the fact that not everyone who is a frequent flier is 40+ wearing a suit.

I see lots of threads about clothes to wear on planes as well- I usually go for polo shirt and jeans, so I'm a bit out of place on the plane with lots of business travellers, but if I wear business casual to work, they ask if I have an interview. Ah, the joys of the manufacturing world.

Back on topic - I'd have decked the guy if he grabbed me. What a jerk.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:07 am

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by AApokes08
UGS sitting in economy is probably rare. But you are right, maybe he was pissed off that he didn't get in first.
Its not as rare as you might think. There are plenty of UGS that buy coach fares and then try to upgrade. F has checked in full means just that.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 2:28 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I had a person or two say I don't belong in this line.

Once, I had a person who said I didn't belong in the 1K line. I pulled out my 1K card and that was end of it.

Another time, I was told I didn't belong in the "fast" security line. (by another pax). I mentioned that the "gate keeper" already checked my card & said I belong there.

Both times, I wasn't "scruffy" but decently dressed.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 2:59 am

Programs: UAL1K,US Chairman's,wood plat,Marriott plat
Just a thought

Most of the time when you fly, you'll see people gather around at the gate wanting to get on a plane, that's typically normal. But, there might be one or two with nasty mean looking kind of person that have to be there first in line (closest as possible to the BP reader) If you happen to stand around them they'll start to be nossy trying to look at your BP and see what's your FF status and give you a dirty look "hey, don't you ever think about getting infront of me I am seating group 5"
Old Oct 7, 2005, 3:55 am

The young guy should tell the old man that he is sitting on 1st class

Yes, UA always have young guys (especially college students) who doesn't looks like travelling in F/C flying in F or C because they even fly more than an adult or flying long-distance (i.e. ORD-HKG-SIN) once to twice a year that made them have lots of miles for upgrades.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 4:04 am

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
Originally Posted by yuenpo
The young guy should tell the old man that he is sitting on 1st class

Yes, UA always have young guys (especially college students) who doesn't looks like travelling in F/C flying in F or C because they even fly more than an adult or flying long-distance (i.e. ORD-HKG-SIN) once to twice a year that made them have lots of miles for upgrades.
Either that, or they just have a lot of money.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 4:06 am

Programs: WWMFD
Would have been even funnier if "young guy" was an air marshal.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I usually dress down on my flights to South Florida, and got dirty looks from a couple of 2Ps in suits behind me and heard their sarcastic remarks about " some people just don't know their place around here".

I pulled my 1K card ( for some unknown reasons I got a blue boarding pass that day), and smiled, waved at them and watched them got embarassed.....

Unfortunately, there are people still judging others based on appearance, age, and ethnicity.

If I was the young man in the OP, I'd probably filed a compliant against that jerk right there with the airport security.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Oct 7, 2005 at 5:43 am
Old Oct 7, 2005, 5:26 am

I totally agree, I would have also demanded that the police be called and charges filed.

Dan
Old Oct 7, 2005, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by kcvt750
Would have been even funnier if "young guy" was an air marshal.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 5:34 am

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
^

Brought in front of the judge for "Assault by UGS".

Look out for the new DVD this fall: "UGS Gone Wild! - Chicago"

Last edited by dcgators; Oct 7, 2005 at 6:23 am
Old Oct 7, 2005, 5:37 am

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
Originally Posted by dartagnan
What a jerk.
You are 1000% right about his being a big jerk but hitting him would have only landed YOU in jail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.