Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
You are an exception, rather than the rule for GS.
My point was that could be said for any elite status. You think that the vast majority of 1Ks are 1Ks because of travel that they personally paid for? No way, most get it from business travel on someone else's dime.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
The behavior of F passenger on DCA-DEN was clearly wrong and not indicative all of GS members. Making comments such as " I paid $XXXX, and I deserve XXXX" is clearly not appropriate.

However, I am confused why people have to drag "who is flying on whose dimes" into the the discussion. It is irrelevant, IMHO. I think we are losing focus here.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Feb 28, 2010 at 4:08 pm
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by fastair
Sounds like a great argument to add to the "A NRSA was sitting near me and I am offended by his ability to sit by me without paying what I did!" threads.
Except, one of them paid to sit there.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:07 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Axey
Except, one of them paid to sit there.
Or both, based on your post I quoted. Something about paying for it with "blood, sweat, and tears" to their company, and part of their overall compensation. A good agruement for all.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I don't defend this DB's conduct, but I share in his anger that FAs often do not sort orders by status. A GS should always get her first choice.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
The behavior of F passenger on DCA-DEN was clearly wrong and not indicative all of GS members. Making comments such as " I paid $XXXX, and I deserve XXXX" is clearly not appropriate.

However, I am confused why people have to drag "who is flying on whose dimes" into the the discussion. It is irrelevant, IMHO. I think we are losing focus here.
+1^
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jgsx
My point was that could be said for any elite status. You think that the vast majority of 1Ks are 1Ks because of travel that they personally paid for? No way, most get it from business travel on someone else's dime.
I see what you're saying. Yes, I do agree with that. Most 1ks' are probably from work-related stuff.

Also, 2p is a fairly easily "hittable" target with personal travel, that I bet more 2p's are personal travel than 1k's and GS's.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Bolding mine.

Totally agree. And subsequent discussions of this could result in the thread being closed.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by inpd
Hi,

Thought I would share with you as it was way too funny.
Can anyone top it?

Flying from DCA to Denver so maybe Global Service member
as a politician type which would explain a lot.

I get upgraded to 1C (yeah!) he gets 1D which on a 752
is arguably the worst seat because 1C and 1D get less
legroom than E+ but in 1D you can't stretch your legs into
the aisle. So he's not happy to say the least.

Then they start serving meals from the rear of the cabin (about
10 First class seats). They serve us last and we have no meal choice.

The guy just blows up.

Says they should have started serving
him first since he is a GS and he should be sitting in 2D not 1D.
Which he may have a point to. But then it got really funny, since
he's walking up and down the aisle telling everyone in FC that they
are only there because he pays for his tickets and doesn't use
upgrade coupons. He then tries to take someone else's tray of
food because it wouldn't be there if he didn't pay and it goes on
and on. The entire rant basis was that FC is only here because GS members
pay
for it to be here and the "leeches" (his words) upgrade on their backs.

Can anyone top that?

(bolding mine)
How is it irrelevant when the GS here is saying he was paying for everyone else's service ?

We are giving one's opinion on what the GS said during that flight. IMHO, arguing that the GS has DYKWIA mentality and who paid for it is very relevant, the GS opened the door on that one, maybe i'm wrong.

If I was in that cabin, I would have said something along the lines of .... "How much did you pay for your ticket? $2,000. Oh...that's nice. I paid $200, which means you paid $1,800 too much and I GOT MY CHOICE OF MEALS and MY CHOICE OF SEATS ."

IMHO, whether the passengers or the companies they work for paying for F/C is irrelevant when it comes to complaining about airline services.
Agreed, but it is relevant when the GS decided to give a speech on how much he paid for it. If he didn't try to "talk down" on other passengers, whoever paying for F/C would have been an irrelevant point, IMHO.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
..And as far as the seat, well, here goes the urban legend that GS' can kick someone out of a preassigned seat.

I don't see this at all: this dumb man just hasen't done his homework and did not realize where he'd end up - maybe her was even a last minute upgrader who then had to live with what's left.
Whereas the beast that booted me from my long allocated seat knew exactly what he wanted .
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:34 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sknyski
ROFL!!! You can't be referring to your average corporate job, can you?
Depends.

Originally Posted by sknyski
At any rate, regardless of who is paying for the ticket - the flyer, the flyer's company, the flyer's mommy or daddy - such behavior is not acceptable....
Agree-- never acceptable. My reply above was simply to ralphwiggum's specific post.

Originally Posted by ralphwiggum
I was sitting in F with this guy.

Folks have every right to complain, but why qualify the loud rants that everyone in F cabin can hear with, "I paid $x..."? Wouldn't it be enough to say what's wrong without having to inflate one's chest and let everyone know how important he/she is? That's the bunk point.
My reply was to your specific post-- the point of that post was not the above. No one shoud act like that no matter what kind of ticket one was flying on. It would be nice if you cleared up what aircraft you were traveling that hat 10 F seats, though . . .

He may be right that he pays for everyone elses upgrades, but that doesn't give him the right to rant and disturb the whole cabin. If he complains, he'll probably get like a CS$250 anyway.

Originally Posted by fastair
Sounds like a great argument to add to the "A NRSA was sitting near me and I am offended by his ability to sit by me without paying what I did!" threads.
No comment.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:36 am

Programs: SSSS Preferred, UA 1K
1. Politician usually travel on government fares. I doubt a politician would pay for F on this route unless he is traveling on his own dimes or someone else's dime but not taxpayers. He is unlikely to be a politician.... may be a Washington lawyer or lobbyst.
I used to fly the SMF-IAD nonstop on a regular basis, and F was frequently filled with US Congressman.

For the last year I've been going through DEN/ORD instead, and on any given Monday morning see a regular contingent (of I assume WAS staffers) flying the same direction, most in F.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 5:45 am

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
This guy has a valid argument, he just chose the wrong way to express it.

I have deliberately avoided UA for last-minute flights because I know (from the seatmap) that the only seats remaining are lousy. Middle-seat in Y on a 16 hour MEL-LAX? No way.

Last minute travelers usually have no choice BUT to travel and are happy to pay big $$$. UA needs to block X number of seats for either high-yield paid fares or assignment at the airport.

Originally Posted by inpd
Hi,
Flying from DCA to Denver so maybe Global Service member
as a politician type which would explain a lot.

The guy just blows up.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by anotherbrian
I used to fly the SMF-IAD nonstop on a regular basis, and F was frequently filled with US Congressman.

For the last year I've been going through DEN/ORD instead, and on any given Monday morning see a regular contingent (of I assume WAS staffers) flying the same direction, most in F.
IIRC, congressmen/women and certain political appointees get VIP upgrades with airlines. Staffers are uprading with their own instrument. Government does not usually pay for F unless there are health issues or unusual circumstances.

The person we are talking about is a paid F, therefore I doubt he is a politician. If he is, then it is unlikely the taxpayers/government paid for his ticket.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by weero

I don't see this at all: this dumb man just hasen't done his homework and did not realize where he'd end up - maybe her was even a last minute upgrader who then had to live with what's left.
Whereas the beast that booted me from my long allocated seat knew exactly what he wanted .
What does doing his homework have to do with anything? Regardless of where he sat in F, asa GS he was supposed to receive first meal choice. That's what set him off. The FA screwed up, not him (except for his subsequent behavior).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.