Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
Haven't read all the posts but flew in C last week for first time with the new config plane.

1. The C seats are simply too narrow for my shoulders to be comfortable
2. Being over 6'1" tall my feet were crammed in the end of the bed when trying to sleep
3. The seat/bed it way too hard.

Conclusion: I actually like the old style C seat even though it does not lay completely flat. I basically never could get truly comfortable because the cushion was too hard.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
On the other hand, I slept for 10 hours straight on one of those seats once whereas I never seem to be able to do better than nap on the old style seats. The new setup is a vast improvement in my opinion.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Per the SWISS forum on Flyertalk, the first reconfigured A343 was rolled out May 26, 2010 and the last was mid-August, 2011, 15 months for 15 aircraft. There are 46 PMUA 777s being reconfigured, 8 were completed by the beginning of this year and 22 are done now. First was done in May, 2010 I think, or about 20 months ago, or about 1.1 per month versus just 1 per month for SWISS. So if anything, United is reconfiguring this specific type faster, it just has a larger fleet to work on.
Actually, there have been 16 777s completed so far this year for a total of 24 to date, and we should be seeing one or two more completed by year-end. But I otherwise agree with your conclusion.

Last edited by SFOTurtle; Dec 20, 2011 at 10:33 pm
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Actually, there have been 16 777s completed so far this year for a total of 24 to date, and we should be seeing one or two more completed by year-end. But I otherwise agree with your conclusion.
Thanks! I apologize for my incorrect info, I was basing it off airliners.net and couldn't access flyerguide.com.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Thanks! I apologize for my incorrect info, I was basing it off airliners.net and couldn't access flyerguide.com.
I think the Wiki is down? I haven't been able to access it for a couple of days.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 8:06 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Who runs the wiki?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I believe the Wiki is now back up....

I believe N219UA is now IPTE; just flew IAD-SFO 12/28 UA309.

***It appears that 774UA is also IPTE (77D) per UA cargo***

Last edited by zambonisk; Dec 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm Reason: ***More info***
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zambonisk

I believe UA219 is now IPTE; just flew IAD-SFO 12/28 UA309.

N219UA is complete and N220UA is now in for conversion. Due out in late January.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by planemechanic
N219UA is complete and N220UA is now in for conversion. Due out in late January.
Thanks for the update and confirmation Planemechanic.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:28 pm

The Wiki is indeed back up, but it still has not been updated, and no one on FT seems to know who can or will update it.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA former 2P
mobile site confirms #2474 flew UA907 today. Flightaware had shown it sitting in LAX from Dec 6th till the 27th.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Cantheplanegofaster?
Wow! I find UA's new C seat cushion to be one the softest of the ones I have tried, including CO (close second), SQ, OZ, LX, AC, DL, NZ and CX. If only it wasn't so narrow and had some storage!

CX gets my vote as the best overall C seat configuration; if the cushion was as soft as UA, it would blow the others away.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by Cantheplanegofaster?
Haven't read all the posts but flew in C last week for first time with the new config plane.

1. The C seats are simply too narrow for my shoulders to be comfortable
2. Being over 6'1" tall my feet were crammed in the end of the bed when trying to sleep

Conclusion: I actually like the old style C seat even though it does not lay completely flat. I basically never could get truly comfortable because the cushion was too hard.
A wonderful example of YMMV.

1. I am 6'0" and kind of a big guy (don't need seat belt extenders, though) - but I am extremely comfortable in the new United C suites. If I can catch an upper deck window seat (huge storage compartment next to your seat) on the 747, it is perfect bliss. In any case, I tend to sleep 6 to 9 hours on overnight flights in the suites, but can only nap in the old recliner seats.

2. No real issue for , the foot end of the suite could be wider but is quite acceptable.

3. Wow. That is the last complaint I would have expected. I actually would prefer it to be harder....
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Data point: I flew N218UA (the Star Alliance livery) on 12/26 NRT-BKK and it had the new seats.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Revamped business class seats - Is there a date when all planes will be re-configured

For the past 3 years United has been saying all their business seats will be revamped or re-configured to the new seats.
Every time I fly to Southeast Asia the planes are always a mix of the new and old business seats and a lot of times it's the old seats.
Is there a date when all planes will be re-configured or is there some kind of rule that United used when deciding which plane will be used for a certain flight e.g. The length time or miles a flight is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.