Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2012, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
It looks like I am stuck with an old 777 config for SFO-LHR (verified using the handy UA cargo link from the wiki ^)

Alas all of the links to the old seating thread are now kaput. So I have some questions:

(1) What do the business class seats look like? I've only flown recently in the newer horizontal lie-flat 747 and 767 seats. If the old seats are similar or worse than the LH seats I will not be too happy.

(2) Is it worth using an SWU to upgrade? I gather the F seats are lie-flat but the IFE still uses the old pathetic popup screens, as opposed to the new larger seatback screens?

I'd prefer to stay on the nonstop but if necc. I will re-route through ORD to avoid crappy seats, especially in C.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
It looks like I am stuck with an old 777 config for SFO-LHR (verified using the handy UA cargo link from the wiki ^)

Alas all of the links to the old seating thread are now kaput. ...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ld-config.html

.... (1) What do the business class seats look like? I've only flown recently in the newer horizontal lie-flat 747 and 767 seats. If the old seats are similar or worse than the LH seats I will not be too happy. ...
these are the common business class seats of 5-10 years ago. similar to the present LH seats,

.... (2) Is it worth using an SWU to upgrade? I gather the F seats are lie-flat but the IFE still uses the old pathetic popup screens, as opposed to the new larger seatback screens? ...
yes the old 777 F seats are lay flat and significant improvement on the barcoloungers business seats.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ld-config.html

these are the common business class seats of 5-10 years ago. similar to the present LH seats,

yes the old 777 F seats are lay flat and significant improvement on the barcoloungers business seats.
Many thanks for the working links! ^ I guess I will have to bring my own fully charged IFE as I can't see watching old videos on tiny popup screens. That being said, I had the pleasure of flying in the old F seats a few months and would concur that the seats are quite comfy for sleeping.

I will also keep my fingers crossed for late equipment change as I gather that has been known to occur.
Old May 26, 2012, 2:13 am

Programs: their are many of them
anyone have any idea what is going on with the UA 777 fleet i have been hearing multple swaps and disappointing tales of swap outs on numerous routes ...???

IAD-LHR and back was swapped to old

UA get your act together
Old May 29, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Yeah, I just got to the airport for IAD-DXB and found I have been swapped...sucks. I had checked last week, was 77Q. And I had seat 6B. Didn't check it over the holiday weekend (too busy) got to the airport today and the boarding pass comes out 12H - knew I was screwed. And of course all the row 8/9 seats were gone...

How many old ones do they have left? I thought it was down to 5-6??
Old May 29, 2012, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
anyone have any idea what is going on with the UA 777 fleet i have been hearing multple swaps and disappointing tales of swap outs on numerous routes ...???
My plane was also changed, but to the renovated model so I guess I lucked out

I had already used a SWU aka GPU to upgrade - I guess it's like buying insurance rather than gambling on an op-up.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rwm818
.... How many old ones do they have left? I thought it was down to 5-6??
think about a dozen are still left, conversion is about 3/4 done.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Yeah, I just got to the airport for IAD-DXB and found I have been swapped...sucks. I had checked last week, was 77Q. And I had seat 6B. Didn't check it over the holiday weekend (too busy) got to the airport today and the boarding pass comes out 12H - knew I was screwed. And of course all the row 8/9 seats were gone...

Note that rows 8 and 9, 9 especially have less legroom than the main cabin. My preference is rows 12-14 in the middle. If you get lucky then there is an empty middle seat (if travelling alone) unless there are a lot of non-revs on the flight.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
N204UA done yet?

It has been about 21 days since N204UA went in for reconfiguration. Has anyone seen it in the wild yet, or is it still in the shop?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:17 am

13: 4 XCs and 9 XIs.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by transpac-canuck
It has been about 21 days since N204UA went in for reconfiguration. Has anyone seen it in the wild yet, or is it still in the shop?
Still in the shop.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by planemechanic
The airplanes done in SFO are typically stand alone visits without a maintenance visit attached. The ones done in Beijing are done with a heavy maintenance check included, which is what drives the schedule. The average for SFO is about 22-24 days, in Beijing with the maintenance visit it is typically 30 days.
Is N204UA still in the shop for conversion? It's been in the shop for over a month. Are the XI conversions more time consuming than the others?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Is N204UA still in the shop for conversion? It's been in the shop for over a month. Are the XI conversions more time consuming than the others?
That is the first airplane that is getting the Overhead Attendant Rest (OHAR). As a prototype it will take longer than without that mod. This new crew rest area will be in the ceiling above the lavs at door 3, with eight crew bunks and two seats available for the flight attendants. The plane is due out early July.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by planemechanic
That is the first airplane that is getting the Overhead Attendant Rest (OHAR). As a prototype it will take longer than without that mod. This new crew rest area will be in the ceiling above the lavs at door 3, with eight crew bunks and two seats available for the flight attendants. The plane is due out early July.
How much room is available above the galley there? I'm having trouble visualizing how they'll fit an actual seat with room to move around in. Will the celling be lower in the main cabin?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IADOrange
How much room is available above the galley there? I'm having trouble visualizing how they'll fit an actual seat with room to move around in. Will the celling be lower in the main cabin?
You'd probably be amazed how much space there is above the cabin.

They won't change the cabin height (well, no one else has). And while it may not be a 6' ceiling in the crew area, there is a lot of room in the 777 above passenger deck area for seats and bunks (very few private jets have 6' ceilings either).

No windows, however!

Take a look at: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is....0.jOLwnI4CHRA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.