Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADOrange
How much room is available above the galley there? I'm having trouble visualizing how they'll fit an actual seat with room to move around in. Will the celling be lower in the main cabin?
It will not have a six foot ceiling, but there is plenty of room in there to sit in a normal passenger seat. The bunks will be four across, four in front of the access stair, four behind, with the two seats at the top of the stairs. The bunks will be similar to this, but four across:

http://www.airtransparency.com/storage/DSC_2402.jpg
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
think about a dozen are still left, conversion is about 3/4 done.
Apparently 3 of the old configuration birds aren't going to get the new international configuration. Instead, they - along with the domestic 777s - are going to be refitted with 3-4 rows of business seats up front from the p.s. fleet and become a new 777 subfleet used primarily for HNL flights.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:44 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Sorry I haven't searched this thread all the way but quick question...

IAD-NRt/PEK is typically on XQ aircraft; correct?
Does that mean they have a high percentage of the new configuration?

thanks, looking to book tickets and really really don't want to be stuck in the old config.

FDW
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Apparently 3 of the old configuration birds aren't going to get the new international configuration. Instead, they - along with the domestic 777s - are going to be refitted with 3-4 rows of business seats up front from the p.s. fleet and become a new 777 subfleet used primarily for HNL flights.
Sigh . . .
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Sigh . . .
+1. Why can't UA serve HNL in a manner fit to the destination? They should celebrate the high percentage of vacation travelers on these flights and try to incentivize flyers to choose UA because of superior hard product.

I'm not sure what the state of the competition is, but I've heard good things about Alaska F from SFO to Hawaii, and evidently it's a cheap buy up from Y.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Is this meant to be a reduction in international capacity, or are the 787s intended to replace 777s?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You mean the current p.s. C seats/old C seats (that are kinda old)? Or the p.s. F seats? Or the new lie-flat seats from PMCO that are going into the p.s. fleet this year and replacing the p.s F/C seats?

If it's the first... wow, kinda silly, though I guess UA has a lot of them lying around from the p.s. fleet and their old longhaul C seats. If it's the second... uh, really? Maybe they're getting their spares from SQ as SQ decommissions Spacebeds in C?

If it's the third then that wouldn't be so bad. It would actually make sense to have a configuration like that in your fleet- a low number C seat/high number Y+/Y seat 777 config would work for ORD/IAH/IAD/EWR-HNL and possibly even some European destinations, where you have SOME premium demand, but not a ton, but you can fill Y like clockwork, because you get lots of vacation demand there. Maybe CDG?

Originally Posted by ainternational
+1. Why can't UA serve HNL in a manner fit to the destination? They should celebrate the high percentage of vacation travelers on these flights and try to incentivize flyers to choose UA because of superior hard product.

I'm not sure what the state of the competition is, but I've heard good things about Alaska F from SFO to Hawaii, and evidently it's a cheap buy up from Y.
Because most leisure travelers think like you do: price, price price, then schedule to destination. Hard product in premium classes is at best a minor consideration (case in point: AS's hard product in F is those temporary CO F seats on 738s/739s that regularly gets panned on the UA board, and their Y seats aren't much different either... and it hasn't stopped AS from flying from damned near everywhere a 737 makes sense to fly to Hawaii).

My guess is that UA is noticing this... and CO flew 737s to Hawaii. I would bet that as UA 757s get phased out their replacements on the West Coast will be 738s/739s.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You mean the current p.s. C seats/old C seats (that are kinda old)? Or the p.s. F seats? Or the new lie-flat seats from PMCO that are going into the p.s. fleet this year and replacing the p.s F/C seats?

If it's the first... wow, kinda silly, though I guess UA has a lot of them lying around from the p.s. fleet and their old longhaul C seats.
They going with the first option. The C seats from p.s. will be transplanted into the selected 777s in a 2-2-2 configuration.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pity, though I guess that's an upgrade from the "ghetto birds"...
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Is this meant to be a reduction in international capacity, or are the 787s intended to replace 777s?
I have no idea. Perhaps one of the UA insiders that post here could explain. My guess is that management is trying to minimize using international birds on domestic runs, which we see from time to time. Having 9 instead of 6 "domestic" 777s would give them more a/c for HNL and other transcon flights.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Pity, though I guess that's an upgrade from the "ghetto birds"...
It will be an upgrade for anyone who scores one of the "new" seats, but given that there will apparently be fewer of them, it's an upgrade for fewer people.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no idea. Perhaps one of the UA insiders that post here could explain. My guess is that management is trying to minimize using international birds on domestic runs, which we see from time to time. Having 9 instead of 6 "domestic" 777s would give them more a/c for HNL and other transcon flights.
That's almost certainly the idea: run ORD/IAH/EWR/SFO/LAX-HNL (plus the occasional hub-hub route) on 777 "high-density" configs, and then run SFO/LAX-KOA/OGG/LIH on 737s, as the 757s drift away from the fleet and the 763s all turn into international configs (and hopefully replace the TATL 757 routes like IAD-CDG that are pushed to the far edge of their ranges in winter).

(Dunno what happens to DEN, though. )

It will be an upgrade for anyone who scores one of the "new" seats, but given that there will apparently be fewer of them, it's an upgrade for fewer people.
True, but the current F product on the ghetto birds is so unimpressive people have been known to downgrade themselves...
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by 14940674
They going with the first option. The C seats from p.s. will be transplanted into the selected 777s in a 2-2-2 configuration.
interesting the lay flats are 2 4 2?? however I guess they still take up a lot more space than 2 2 2
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:28 pm

UA 901 vs UA 932 in Sept 12 in Business Class?

I'm traveling LAX- FRA in Sept with my husband and will purchase business class seats. I've read these forums and checked the seat maps and it looks like my best options could be UA 932 through IAD or UA 901 through SFO.

Since 932 is the 777 and 901 is the 747, which is better? Are they both lie flat? either route works time-wise so it's just a matter of where my dollars will buy the most comfort.

Any advice?

Also, once I choose, can you point me to the forum where I can read about which pair of seats will be best for me and my husband?

Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by profhoff
I'm traveling LAX- FRA in Sept with my husband and will purchase business class seats. I've read these forums and checked the seat maps and it looks like my best options could be UA 932 through IAD or UA 901 through SFO.

Since 932 is the 777 and 901 is the 747, which is better? Are they both lie flat? either route works time-wise so it's just a matter of where my dollars will buy the most comfort.

Any advice?

Also, once I choose, can you point me to the forum where I can read about which pair of seats will be best for me and my husband?

Thanks!
I would vote for 901, the 747 from SFO; I prefer one longer flight that I can sleep somewhat well on and IAD-FRA's just a bit too short for me. As well, all 747's in service have lie flat business seats, while not all 777s do. Plus, the upper deck on the 747 is great for a pair of seats.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:27 pm

perfect, thanks!

appreciate the quick reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.