Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by 5khours
Good question. For awhile the seating charts will all showing new config. Now they're back to the old config.
I have flown 3 legs between SEA and NRT since February. The first two had the old 777 when I booked it, but changed to new config. The latest one a few weeks ago had the new config when booked but changed to old config.

To answer the question about when the old seatmap appears, it happened 2-3 days before the flight for me 2 weeks ago. Well, that was for LAX-NRT. For NRT-SEA, I didn't notice until the day before.

So I had LAX-NRT change to old config as well. So it's not that they discriminate against SEA and the question "when will SEA have the new config" pre-supposes that they have specific aircraft on this route, which they do not.

Also, I had a NRT-LAX change from old to new. I didn't notice until check-in and I got a crappy seat (row 7 rearward toward galley).

Actually, come to think of it. All five 777 legs changed aircraft on me since February! The sixth leg was on a 747.
Old May 7, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I noticed 777 flights I have next week suddenly have a lot of F/J inventory for sale, but not much activity has changed on the seatmap. A quick check of the Cargo site shows a dreaded B777 instead of 777Q now. When will the UA site reflect the new (old) configuration? Or is there still a sliver of hope I'll get a new config in the next 7 days?
There's a sliver of hope, but I've found like the PP, the seat maps seem to change in the last couple of days before the flight. I have, even in that situation, ended up with a double switch (old->new->old in that case)
Old May 7, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
There's a sliver of hope, but I've found like the PP, the seat maps seem to change in the last couple of days before the flight. I have, even in that situation, ended up with a double switch (old->new->old in that case)
I called reservations who told me my F cabin had 12 seats. When I said looking at the seatmap on united.com, my view only shows 8. She said "oh, must be something wrong with the website, let me transfer you to the online support desk." Got a guy there who said reservations was wrong, there's not 12 seats. When I asked him how many there were, he said 8...but I heard him counting before he answered. I asked him if he was looking at the website seatmap or at actual buyable inventory: he said he was looking at the website. I hung up.
Old May 8, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Had a crappy experience in F from BKK to NRT yesterday. Purser said she's not often seeing the old config on that route any more, but low and behold, it reared its ugly head. She said, "we all hate it when we walk on board and see those old seats". Yeah... and I paid to be in one. Just great.

Nothing like having a 4" blurry LCD screen with VCR tapes in 2012.
Old May 8, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
It's not looking good I'm on 934 LAX-LHR on Saturday and 931 LHR-SFO on Sunday, presumably the same metal, but the United Cargo site still shows it as a 777. United.com, though, still shows a 77D, although it's selling more seats in F than exist in a 77D. Anyone care to place a wager?
Old May 10, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Anyone know why zero 777s are in for conversion? Or is the wiki outdated?
Old May 11, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by transpac-canuck
Anyone know why zero 777s are in for conversion? Or is the wiki outdated?
Moving into summer == higher loads == more flights/bigger planes
The 777's are all required to be running routes right now
Old May 11, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Moving into summer == higher loads == more flights/bigger planes
The 777's are all required to be running routes right now
You might be right, although the 777 conversions continued at a decent pace last summer and there were seemingly at least two in the shop at all times.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
It's not looking good I'm on 934 LAX-LHR on Saturday and 931 LHR-SFO on Sunday, presumably the same metal, but the United Cargo site still shows it as a 777. United.com, though, still shows a 77D, although it's selling more seats in F than exist in a 77D. Anyone care to place a wager?
LHR flights seem to have the best chance of new lie flat as UA must compete with at least 3 other airlines on this route ALL W LIE FLAT
Old May 12, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: ua 1k
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
You might be right, although the 777 conversions continued at a decent pace last summer and there were seemingly at least two in the shop at all times.
looks like n204UA is in SFO, not sure whether it is being reconfigured.
Old May 12, 2012, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjuabayflyer
looks like n204UA is in SFO, not sure whether it is being reconfigured.
That airplane is being reconfigured.
Old May 13, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: ua 1k
Originally Posted by planemechanic
That airplane is being reconfigured.
thanks for the info. Great to see the first XI in the shop.

It also looks like N222UA (already reconfigured) is in PEK for maintenance. Before, N788UA (was also already reconfigured) was in PEK for quite some time as well.
Old May 13, 2012, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
About the same number of T7 frames will see shopping this summer as last -- but more of the planes occupying those shop slots will already have been converted. Consequently, the number that can be worked in for conversion at any given point goes down over time.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Thrilled to see N204UA in for conversion.

What's the average conversion time on these birds? There have been varying estimates given in the thread, but I think that variation is dependent on the shop doing the work. How long do our brethren in San Francisco take to do this work?

-tpc
Old May 14, 2012, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transpac-canuck
Thrilled to see N204UA in for conversion.

What's the average conversion time on these birds? There have been varying estimates given in the thread, but I think that variation is dependent on the shop doing the work. How long do our brethren in San Francisco take to do this work?

-tpc
The airplanes done in SFO are typically stand alone visits without a maintenance visit attached. The ones done in Beijing are done with a heavy maintenance check included, which is what drives the schedule. The average for SFO is about 22-24 days, in Beijing with the maintenance visit it is typically 30 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.