Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Routes from CO's and UA's hubs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'd like something into Salisbury, MD.

ORD-SBY, IAD-SBY or EWR-SBY would all work. I'm not holding out hope for CLE-SBY for obvious reasons.

Plus the return of IAD-TUS or EWR-TUS would be nice too.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by mecabq
I agree with you, DXB-BKK on TG and DXB-SIN on SQ are about the only services from the Gulf region eastward (not counting backtracking to CAI or IST), and I share your pain of high fares, limited options, and the extra connection in DXB (when coming from DOH in my case). (CA also flies from DXB; I was about to book them for a trip to China in a couple of weeks, until I realized that any somewhat competitive economy-class fare earned only a fraction of miles on Mileage Plus.)

A tag onto United's flights from DXB/KWI/BAH or BKK/SIN to, say, India would be nice, but I am not sure if that would work -- would many U.S.-based travelers be willing to stop two or three times en route to India?
Has UA ever serviced India from NRT?

HKG-SIN never seemed full compared to the NRT alternative. I could see UA serving HKG-DEL while canceling HKG-SIN and increasing capacity on NRT-SIN. I don't think adding yet another flight from BKK or SIN would make much sense for exhausted passengers.

Another option I can see would be something like TPE-DEL if they brought back the direct out of SFO. Or maybe ICN-DEL, PVG-DEL or PEK-DEL?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by David5885
Please ORD-TLV on a 744!
+1

I'd love to see ORD-TLV on a 744. Perhaps they could also do EWR-TLV on a 744...

In addition, I'd like to see:

DEN-RDU: UA had a nonstop 735 flight a few years ago. This was very convenient for me. A GA once told me that one of the phone book companies had multiple employees on this flight each day. They would send them from their office in DEN to their office in the Research Triangle..

ORD-PWM: It would be really nice if UA could upgauge this route to an E170, or even an A319! Every time I fly to PWM, the flights are packed, and F usually has three or four paid F fliers.

MCI-SFO: Currently UA runs this route with a CR7. I'd like to see it replaced with an A320.

Some day, perhaps...
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:28 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

I'd love to see ORD-TLV on a 744. Perhaps they could also do EWR-TLV on a 744...

In addition, I'd like to see:

DEN-RDU: UA had a nonstop 735 flight a few years ago. This was very convenient for me. A GA once told me that one of the phone book companies had multiple employees on this flight each day. They would send them from their office in DEN to their office in the Research Triangle..

ORD-PWM: It would be really nice if UA could upgauge this route to an E170, or even an A319! Every time I fly to PWM, the flights are packed, and F usually has three or four paid F fliers.

MCI-SFO: Currently UA runs this route with a CR7. I'd like to see it replaced with an A320.

Some day, perhaps...

ORD-TLV and EWR-TLV are probably good examples of the types of routes that could be opened up by the 787. ORD-TLV doesn't have the volume to justify a 772 or 744 and its too far for a 763 but the 787 could have both the range and the economics to make it work.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:46 am
jmp

Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
ORD-TLV and EWR-TLV are probably good examples of the types of routes that could be opened up by the 787. ORD-TLV doesn't have the volume to justify a 772 or 744 and its too far for a 763 but the 787 could have both the range and the economics to make it work.
The demand for ORD-TLV really depends on what the connecting traffic for CO's current EWR-TLV offerings looks like. I know that CO90/91 are set up as LAX-EWR-TLV, presumably to capture some piece of the LAX-TLV market, which could just as easily be routed through ORD. Likewise for all other TLV traffic originating west of the Mississippi. With EWR/JFK-TLV flights generally running full (and with reasonably high fares and an excess of demand for cargo capacity) on all three airlines offering the route, adding ORD-TLV could reduce some of the connecting traffic on EWR-TLV, freeing up more space for O/D.

I'm sure that CO and UA are going to look pretty carefully at their proprietary data to figure out if ORD-TLV makes sense as a 744, 772, or 787. Besides, I vaguely recall hearing one time that there's so much demand for cargo on this route that these planes break even before a single passenger ticket is sold, in which case the higher cargo capacity of the 744 would make a lot of sense, whether the 744 runs ORD-TLV or is swapped into EWR-TLV, freeing up the 772 for ORD-TLV...
-JMP
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by daganderson
-Could we possibly see EWR-BRU to a permanent 777?
The day that CO has sufficient equipment to do so, this will happen but unfortunately there isn't equipment available. I've been told that CO asked for a second daily slot on the EWR-BRU route but apparently they have a problem with providing equipment for the second rotation... The flight was supposed to be codeshared with SN but due lack of space on the flight it seemed that codesharing is postponed...
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
What? EWR-TLV isn't some marginal route, its CO's highest capacity route aside from EWR-LHR (but TLV is more profitable). CO (+UA) needs hella seats over to TLV.

I suspect that they will upgauge CO90 to a 744 (CO90 is the premier flight), ORD-TLV would be at least a 772. CO has great difficulty, due to their inventory management and fare practices, offering close-in (<2 weeks) front-cabin availablilty from the west coast, ORD-TLV would be able to pick up a lot of this traffic as well as the O/D from their most important hub.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
IAD-TLV will be done before ORD-TLV

El AL flyes from ORD and there is a very big Jewish population in the DC area. It can be done on the 777
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Benny8444
IAD-TLV will be done before ORD-TLV

El AL flyes from ORD and there is a very big Jewish population in the DC area. It can be done on the 777
LY has not operated from ORD since April 2007. The route was operated with 744, and IIRC was 3-4x/weekly depending on the season. The flight ended before AA's codeshare agreement with El AL began in 2008, so it could potentially come back once LY gets their 787s to feed with AA at ORD. ORD-TLV is only 6180 miles, which is well within the range of the 777.

Hopefully UA/CO will start another TLV flight to go along with EWR. I agree IAD is more likely, but ORD has better connections to midwest and west coast markets that could feed into the flight. Several years CO discussed starting IAH-TLV, but personally I'd rather see a 3rd EWR-TLV.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IAH-AKL coming?

Just to start some exciting rumors, has anyone else noticed on the "you'll like where we land" map currently on UA's homepage celebrating the merger there seems to be a Houston to Auckland route?

It's probably just put there and has no meaning...but what would FT be without these kinds of things causing rampant speculation?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Not speculation. CO announced this a while ago...
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K ,AAEXP, Dollar, Marriott Gold,Hertz Gold,SIXT Platnium, CBP Global Entry,Starwood Gold
787 dreamliner...

Originally Posted by as219
+1, this was announced, what, late spring or early summer sometime. It will be on the new 787 dreamliner from IAH to AKL , the first non stop from North America via an domestic airline. Would be great if they outfit this bird with F, C, E+ and E-!!!!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club
Two routes that I think are plausable..

RDU-DEN (previously served by UA)
RDU-SFO (proposed during the UA/US engagement)

Honestly, with the CO execs in charge, I would suspect that any airport that had service to all the hubs before will have service to all the hubs now..

So I would gather that any airport that saw service to EWR/CLE/IAH.. will probably see service to EWR/CLE/IAH/IAD/DEN.. SFO is my only questionable one.. but I could see UAL doing it..
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by 1kwannabe
Originally Posted by as219
+1, this was announced, what, late spring or early summer sometime. It will be on the new 787 dreamliner from IAH to AKL , the first non stop from North America via an domestic airline. Would be great if they outfit this bird with F, C, E+ and E-!!!!
The previously announced seat config for the 787s has neither F nor E+. Certainly that could change but the curreent expectation from what CO specified will not have those. The E- section will be 31-32" pitch as spec'd. Anything can change but that's the current spec.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by briank1973
IAH-SYD: I doubt they can get enough to fill the loads for this flight. I live in Australia and I can honestly tell you that no one here has any desire to go to Houston. Granted, Australians will make up a minority of passengers (they tend to fly QF), but that minority does help make things profitable. SFO and LAX are great points for the SYD flights. An interesting one would be ORD-SYD, but it's pushing it distance-wise. Could be done though.
CO will start next year IAH to Auckland, New Zealand... I'm sure the loads from the south pacific exists, even if not traveling to IAH, the convenient schedule to latin america and other cities in the south are unique.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.