Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Routes from CO's and UA's hubs?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
CO announced IAH-AKL with 787s. I'd also like to see IAH-JNB and IAH-SCL.
IAH-AKL seems like a silly route. SFO/LAX-AKL would make more sense in my potentially biased opinion. But I guess they don't want to compete (and lose) against NZ.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:50 pm

Programs: United GS, SPG Platinum, Hertz 5-Star, AA Gold, US Silver
LAX - HKG
LAX - FRA
LAX - MIA
SNA - IAD
SFO - BOM
SFO - DEL
SFO - CDG
SNA - LAS
ORD - ITH
IAD - IST
RTW service on UA/CO metal
Old May 29, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by schley
I don't know other alliances I know the star alliance. We can see very clearly that the traffic between the middle east going east is almost nill. There are 0 UA/CO flights that way, none whatsoever.

I don't know, there are usually rumors that predate facts, thus I hope at least rumors are there.

Emirates and Qatar only give RDM credit and not all fare classes even give RDM's.

Have you tried this?

Let's just take a look at what many would say is one of the premier destinations in Asia Bangkok. BKK is serviced by UA from the states via NRT. Great. Now you want to go further West to the middle east?

OK there is exactly 1 nonstop flight that goes from BKK to DXB in the entire system of the Star Alliance. That flight is usually 3-4 times more expensive than some non star alliance option. Here is an example for a random date in July.
This is ONE WAY mind you:

Thai non stop flight $1275
Kingfisher, Sri Lankan, Emirates, Jet all are in the 300's.

There is absolutely no service to DOH, KWI, DMM, BAH.

You can get to RUH with 2 stops on Thai.

I mean come on I don't even want to continue my examples for it is too depressing and ticks me off that I have to fly with Gulf Air to pick up this huge gap in the system.
I agree with you, DXB-BKK on TG and DXB-SIN on SQ are about the only services from the Gulf region eastward (not counting backtracking to CAI or IST), and I share your pain of high fares, limited options, and the extra connection in DXB (when coming from DOH in my case). (CA also flies from DXB; I was about to book them for a trip to China in a couple of weeks, until I realized that any somewhat competitive economy-class fare earned only a fraction of miles on Mileage Plus.)

A tag onto United's flights from DXB/KWI/BAH or BKK/SIN to, say, India would be nice, but I am not sure if that would work -- would many U.S.-based travelers be willing to stop two or three times en route to India?
Old May 29, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Prem, DL Plat, CO Plat, Torrid Diva,Rascal House (free cookies!), TWA Ambassador 183506503
cle-rdd on a 777 please

one can dream
Old May 29, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: UAL Global Services; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
IAH - SYD

I would like to see a 747 from IAH to SYD; even if for 5 days a week.

But only if it was a meaningful alternative to the LAX and SFO service.

My thought is have it leave 10 a.m.; giving plenty of time for the first flight connections from the mid-west and east coast that arrive between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m.

Accornding to Great Circle Mapper it would be 8,596 miles or about 16.5 hours.

So a 10 a.m. departure from IAH would be 11 p.m. in SYD, 16.5 hours later would be 4:30 p.m.; plenty of time for connections to other Oz cities.

Return flight leaving SYD at 8 a.m., which would be 9 p.m. in Houston. Arriving at noon in Houston. Much better connections to the midwest and east coast for getting home.
Old May 29, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Silver
EWR

-Could we possibly see EWR-BRU to a permanent 777?
-Mainline to ATL everyday?
-I would assume that EWR would get larger A/C? For example UA likes to put Airbus on short routes like ORD-CMH. Would the new UA put a Airbus on EWR-CMH or routes similar?
-Any 744's to EWR?
Old May 29, 2010, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
EWR-LHR-DEL-HKG-EWR

And bring back "Worldwide Services" on the sides of the planes.

IAD-TLV
PPT service on CO Micronesia
Old May 29, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by cowboy
I would like to see a 747 from IAH to SYD; even if for 5 days a week.

But only if it was a meaningful alternative to the LAX and SFO service.

My thought is have it leave 10 a.m.; giving plenty of time for the first flight connections from the mid-west and east coast that arrive between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m.

Accornding to Great Circle Mapper it would be 8,596 miles or about 16.5 hours.

So a 10 a.m. departure from IAH would be 11 p.m. in SYD, 16.5 hours later would be 4:30 p.m.; plenty of time for connections to other Oz cities.

Return flight leaving SYD at 8 a.m., which would be 9 p.m. in Houston. Arriving at noon in Houston. Much better connections to the midwest and east coast for getting home.
UA's 744's don't have the range to do the route, IIRC, 7500-7800 statute miles (depending on the route) is about the max for the equipment. They used to to LAX-MEL nonstop which was the longest UA route at the time. QF flies some 744's with extra fuel tanks but that of course sacrifies cargo and pax.
Old May 29, 2010, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Also see New Service to AKL over in the CO forum - it looks like AKL is more active than SYD as a new destination.
Old May 30, 2010, 12:39 am

Programs: United 1K Million Mile flyer, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member, Marriott
Please ORD-TLV on a 744!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MilagePlus
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
At one time Egypt Air had a route map with Washington DC on the West Coast and San Francisco in Texas.

I just looked and it has been fixed, but it gave a good laugh for 6 months.
I guess, they don't teach geography in Egypt!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
SEA-GUM, SEA-HKG, 2x daily SEA-NRT.
Exactly! I vote AS out of the North Satellite and bring in the former CO routes as well as US.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by hotelarchitect
LAX - HKG
LAX - FRA
LAX - MIA
SNA - IAD
SFO - BOM
SFO - DEL
SFO - CDG
SNA - LAS
ORD - ITH
IAD - IST
Ha, you nailed it, hotelarchitect!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:22 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
PPT service on CO Micronesia
How much GUM-PPT traffic would you really expect ? It is too far for a 737 so they would need to be able to profitably fill a 767 or 787 on the route - that seems a bit unlikely to me .

or did you mean for Continental ( United ) Micronesia to operate HNL-PPT rather than GUM-PPT ?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1K1.1MM, Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Gold, Marriott Silver, Priority Club Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
Ha, you nailed it, hotelarchitect!
Originally Posted by hotelarchitect
LAX - HKG
LAX - FRA
LAX - MIA
SNA - IAD
SFO - BOM
SFO - DEL
SFO - CDG
SNA - LAS
ORD - ITH
IAD - IST
Man, I'd love to see SNA-LAX return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.