Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Routes from CO's and UA's hubs?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by Frequent Freak
UA has never expressed any desire to run ORD-RNO, so I doubt we'd see EWR-RNO first.
ORD-RNO on a DC-8 was my ever United flight...they ran it well into the 1980s.

routes I'd like to see ORD-BKK timed for same-day connections to HKT

Leveraging CO though...ORD-LIR timed for long weekends WSaSu would be fine. ORD-GUA and ORD-PTY to avoid Co's horribly timed connections in IAH for the evening central america flights...that or add a flight so you don't have to spend 4 hours in IAH.

LAX or SFO to Fiji would be good or moving the GUM-DPS to NRT would be even more awesome

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 4, 2010 at 11:32 pm Reason: fix html
Old May 4, 2010, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by milepig
I've long been surprised that someone hasn't been able to make a go of ORD-TLV - there seems to be a big opportunity here. There are indeed a very large number of Jews in the Chicago area, and many of them have strong ties to Israel. I'd think this route would do very well. I believe the the El Al flight was done in the downturn following 9/11.
LY have already stated that their next US destination will be MIA.
So LY will not fly to ORD in the near future, and that gives UA the oppertunity to fly ORD-TLV. But I believe they will first try to fly IAD-TLV, also because it may make US to stop flying to tlv (as there will be flights from both EWR&IAD).
Old May 4, 2010, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
The biggest gap in UA/CO even star alliance is between the middle east and Asia. You can get all the way to India even from the states going east, but no further. You can get to Bangkok going west but no further. When are they going to close that loophole. I have to fly Gulf Air to fill that gap in.
Old May 5, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Priority Club
Originally Posted by schley
The biggest gap in UA/CO even star alliance is between the middle east and Asia. You can get all the way to India even from the states going east, but no further. You can get to Bangkok going west but no further. When are they going to close that loophole. I have to fly Gulf Air to fill that gap in.
Couldn't you make that argument for every alliance considering there are currently no Gulf carriers in an alliance? Star can't cover every single possible connection in the world in the most efficient manner possible.
Old May 5, 2010, 12:37 am

Programs: AGR WOH
I'm just looking forward to seeing more mainline on key routes. CO doesn't have the 70-seaters that fill UAX's schedule, so expect a lot of 70-seat UAX to move onto "marginal" CO 737 routes, and the CO 737s to replace the busiest UAX routes. Of course, that's all up until the scope clause gets renegotiated.

[article with section on regional carrier realignment]

BTW, there's a perception among CO people that UA just has a bunch of widebodies that aren't being used much, and which will rescue them from the TATL 757s. No, actually, the "North America" config 767/777s are pretty much used for Hawaii, and most widebodies domestically are tagging on domestic legs to their international itinerary. So, no, you probably can't have 'em.

Last edited by paytonc; May 5, 2010 at 9:33 am
Old May 5, 2010, 3:06 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
UA had ORD-RNO many years ago.
Old May 5, 2010, 4:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
I bet CO's EWR-South America flights get transferred to IAD, except supplemental GRU/EZE service from EWR.

Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
Is it just me, or is that interactive map just really crappy? You can't really see a "map" just find a country, and drill down from there.

Someone mentioned it elsewhere, but the fact that neither offers service to Santiago, Chile is I looked at possible routing to there for a work trip, and other than routing on Copa, you're left with OW alliance flights. So that's my vote - the rest of my needs are fairly well covered already, and additional options to Brazil get my ^
It's not just you. I looked at that and wondered how they could release such an abomination.
Old May 5, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Gold 1 Million Miler, CX Gold
LAX-HKG on 777
Old May 5, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
Originally Posted by paytonc
I'm just looking forward to seeing more mainline on key routes. CO doesn't have the 70-seaters that fill UAX's schedule, so expect a lot of 70-seat UAX to move onto "marginal" CO 737 routes, and the CO 737s to replace the busiest UAX routes. Of course, that's all up until the scope clause gets renegotiated.

BTW, there's a perception among CO people that UA just has a bunch of widebodies that aren't being used much, and which will rescue them from the TATL 757s. No, actually, the "North America" config 767/777s are pretty much used for Hawaii, and most widebodies domestically are tagging on domestic legs to their international itinerary. So, no, you probably can't have 'em.
Agree with you on your first paragraph and fall into that bunch on the second. What may happen is you'll see a growth of CO's "change of equipment"/direct flights. I think IAD-DXB is a direct ORD-(IAD)-DXB; don't be surprised if the ORD-IAD segment switches to something else which, along with other examples, might allow 1-2 more int'l cities to be served. You might also get 752 service from IAD to certain EU markets.

I'd like to see some/all of the following:
IAH-SCL/MAD/MUC/FCO/TLV
LAX-HKG
EWR-DME/IST/CAI
ORD-TLV/DUB/MAN (don't think DUB & MAN are served...go after some AA routes)
IAD-TLV

and more flights to South America and India.
Old May 5, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
Originally Posted by tex1899
I think IAD-DXB is a direct ORD-(IAD)-DXB; don't be surprised if the ORD-IAD segment switches to something else which, along with other examples, might allow 1-2 more int'l cities to be served.
UA976 ORD-IAD is already a domestic 752 and feeds a bunch of evening IAD departures, including IAD-EZE, IAD-GRU, IAD-DXB and IAD-KWI.

You might also get 752 service from IAD to certain EU markets.
I agree and don't really mind that (though I may be in the minority). I've never flown CO TATL on a 757, but AA's 75Ls are nice - I prefer them to AA's 763.

I'd like to see some/all of the following:
IAH-SCL/MAD/MUC/FCO/TLV
LAX-HKG
EWR-DME/IST/CAI
ORD-TLV/DUB/MAN (don't think DUB & MAN are served...go after some AA routes)
IAD-TLV

and more flights to South America and India.
+1 for IAH-SCL
+1 for LAX-HKG (though it didn't work for UA on a 744, might work on a 772 or 787)
+1 for IAD/ORD-TLV
+1 for XXX-IST/CAI
Old May 5, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
Air India to fill gap between Middle east & Asia

Originally Posted by schley
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Air India joining *A soon. That should fill in that gap. Never been on Air India and not sure what their route network looks like. *A needs to get Emirates or Qatar to become members to increase their coverage too
Old May 5, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Would be nice to get some mainline flights between any NYC airport and IAD, although on the other hand I should never have to connect through IAD to get to Europe again. Hurrah!
Old May 5, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Now that they're designating NRT as a hub, let's add these to the roster:

1. NRT-HKG - We often hear how packed ORD/SFO-HKG is. We're also seeing requests to bring back LAX-HKG, and for people from HNL to get to HKG w/out having to use ANA. I think this can simultaneously solve all those problems nicely.

2. NRT-MNL - This is a personal one of mine. How can an alliance with so many airlines from Asia miss this one? I think this route is underserved across the board.
Old May 5, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
Is it just me, or is that interactive map just really crappy? You can't really see a "map" just find a country, and drill down from there.
It is beyond bad, it is an absolute embarassment. Why did they even need to use such a half-arsed thing?

In some countries, cities are missing altogether or are incorrectly listed under obscure administrative districts. Fo example, neither CO/UA serve London, according to the map. But they do have several flights to Hayes, Middlesex (the latter of which is an administrative area that hasn't existed since 1974).
Old May 5, 2010, 10:00 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ajamieson
It is beyond bad, it is an absolute embarassment. Why did they even need to use such a half-arsed thing?
At one time Egypt Air had a route map with Washington DC on the West Coast and San Francisco in Texas.

I just looked and it has been fixed, but it gave a good laugh for 6 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.