FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   New Routes from CO's and UA's hubs? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1080931-new-routes-cos-uas-hubs.html)

premierstudent May 3, 2010 6:27 am

New Routes from CO's and UA's hubs?

Now that the merger is official, what new routes do you think UA might consider operating?

Could UA fly non stop IAH-SYD? What about EWR-BKK? Since UA has landing slots at many airports in the Asia Pacific region it seems like there will be new opportunities to fly non-stop around the world from all over North America. I would also imagine with the 787s CO and UA have on order, there will be even more new routes announced in the coming months.

Benny8444 May 3, 2010 6:33 am

New Routes from UA Hubs?

What new routes or cities do you want or expect to see from UA hubs now that the merger is complete.

I would like to see some more intl routes from IAD and finally a new midfield terminal for UA/CO.

briank1973 May 3, 2010 6:36 am

IAH-SYD: I doubt they can get enough to fill the loads for this flight. I live in Australia and I can honestly tell you that no one here has any desire to go to Houston. Granted, Australians will make up a minority of passengers (they tend to fly QF), but that minority does help make things profitable. SFO and LAX are great points for the SYD flights. An interesting one would be ORD-SYD, but it's pushing it distance-wise. Could be done though.

EWR-BKK: This would almost rival EWR-SIN as the longest commercial flight (probably be 30 minutes or so shorter than EWR-SIN). EWR-SIN is a Singapore Airline flight and it is Business-Class only!! (there are no E seats). I think some people might fly this one if it was offered, but not sure about 7 days/week departures.

ECOTONE May 3, 2010 6:42 am

how about HNL-GUM?

:p

gordo6 May 3, 2010 6:44 am

IAH-TLV is possible (CO stated they will fly it when they get the 787), but IAD-TLV or ORD-TLV seems more reasonable right now.

gordo6 May 3, 2010 6:47 am

IAD-TLV or ORD-TLV? Or maybe both - each 3 weekly!

hvnflyer May 3, 2010 8:08 am

How about HVN-ORD for starters

JohnneeO May 3, 2010 8:14 am

I vote for EWR-RNO. I believe that CO had flown this route in the long ago past, and only recently exited RNO completely. Historically, RNO has been difficult to get to from any NYC airport, and has almost always required a connection.

TerryK May 3, 2010 8:25 am

We can all dream. :p

UA/CO merger is based on cost and competition reduction. @:-) Domestic routes are more likely to be dropped than added, with the exception of hub-to-hub routes. I won't be surprised to see some of eight hubs to be "refocused" in next few years. ;)

jbcarioca May 3, 2010 8:35 am

I'll wager there will be many more ORD and EWR-South America flights. Only the largest Southern Cone routes have service now, and those are not plentiful. Similarly I'd expect to see a number of new European destinations from several hubs.

They'd add much Asian, especially China flights if they had the equipment. My next bet is that they'll try hard to accelerate deliveries of 787 and probably A350 also, assuming that program does not delay. The new Airline is in desperate need to new efficient long range A/C to serve these routes.

Of course they also need new single-aisle a/c. The choices will wait, I'll bet, for the new entrants such as reengined A320 and/or new Boeing.

It's hard to discuss new routes without also discussing the fleet rationalization plans.

Bralo20 May 3, 2010 8:36 am

Well, maybe they can add IAH-BRU after getting a second daily rotation on the EWR-BRU route.

bmvaughn May 3, 2010 8:49 am

SEA-GUM, SEA-HKG, 2x daily SEA-NRT.

Bonehead May 3, 2010 8:52 am

777 service DEN-SYR.

Hey, you asked...

FlyingHoustonian May 3, 2010 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Bralo20 (Post 13888835)
Well, maybe they can add IAH-BRU after getting a second daily rotation on the EWR-BRU route.

BRU wants the flight and has it listed in its marketing materials (I'd love it as it is closer to for me when I go back to the dreilandpunt versus my AMS trainride or drive). It is already one that CO markets as "direct" via flight number even though the gauge changes in EWR.

Ciao,
FH

schley May 3, 2010 9:08 am

They are missing Thailand in the route map for the ua/co merger.com page. Not sure if that is intentional or what.