Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Last week my luggage simply didn't leave SFO. When I landed and filed a missing bag report, they immediately found it (in the "bag room" where it arrived after my flight departed) and sent it on the next flight. And then it sat at my destination airport for 20 hours before delivery. Was traveling on a Q fare and offered $225 (but only once I called and requested after the bags were in my possession -- no offers prior to then). Am Platinum.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Do you have the same first initial and first 3 letters of your last name as the family member?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Same last name.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pduck01
I am a 1K MM not prone to writing 1K voice or complaining but we arrived at LNY today from LAX. Two of our suitcases were sent instead to Chicago (nice city but we aren't from there) and tagged to someone who isn't us. Our boarding passes have our names on them but two of the five checked suitcases were sent under someone else's name (a family member we weren't with at all today who was on the Chicago flight). What would you ask for, assuming they find the bags and get them here eventually?
The reason/confusion that led to the stray bags does not really matter (but is interesting background).

This would just be a standard misplaced bag. If you aren't at you home, then you can get temporary replacement reimbursement -- discuss that with the loss bag folks. (You did make a claim on arrival?)

Once the bags are returned, you should receive some voucher or miles for the inconvenience. Being an 1K it will be likely higher than a non-elite -- maybe couple hundred $$$ If at your home city, this does not apply.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2017 at 9:24 pm Reason: additional though
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If at your home city, this does not apply.
What do you mean it doesn't apply? People still need their stuff at home. Or are you saying the official policy is to not compensate if they lose your bags coming back?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
What do you mean it doesn't apply? People still need their stuff at home. Or are you saying the official policy is to not compensate if they lose your bags coming back?
The policy is not to provide temporary replacements if you are in your home city, since you have access to your own clothing/supplies. If something is very unique, then you probably can get it cover.

This does not impact any delay compensation or replacement of the bag/contents if never recovered.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The policy is not to provide temporary replacements if you are in your home city, since you have access to your own clothing/supplies. If something is very unique, then you probably can get it cover.
More or less the same reason the policy is not to pay for hotel during IRROPS at your home airport - they figure you can just sleep at home.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: AA Plat

This does not impact any delay compensation or replacement of the bag/contents if never recovered.
Ah. So you can still get goodwill gestures, just no reimbursement? That makes sense! I thought you meant they don't give you anything.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:39 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Kacee
More or less the same reason the policy is not to pay for hotel during IRROPS at your home airport - they figure you can just sleep at home.
Not to go too off-topic, but whenever I get stuck at ORD overnight (my home airport), I always get a hotel room. Unless they want to pay for a cab to and back from my apartment in the city with is around $50 each way (and they have before). Hotel is probably cheaper.

Even if someone has a car, parking costs should be taken into consideration.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Seeking wisdom of the crowd (SFO lost bag; unusual circumstances)

I am looking for some FT wisdom please.

A friend who is not a frequent traveler and has some mental decline, arrived off ANA from NRT-SFO and after collecting all of his checked bags and clearing customs and immigration, placed all of his checked bags PLUS THE BAG HE HAD CARRIED ON onto the "connecting flights" luggage belt at SFO. I know that this should not have been possible because there is usually (always) an employee/contractor there hand scanning rechecked bags, but he swears he did it somehow (unintentionally of course).

He reported the bag as missing with UA at SFO but the agent there stated that the luggage belt in question went to an area shared by many airlines (makes sense). Given that the bag would not be identifiable as a UA bag, he stated that the bag could have ended up with any airlines lost luggage section. And that "after some time" it would be sent to a centralized area shared by all airlines and may turn up then. The bag had contact details on it and he has not been contacted yet by anyone. We are out to about 2 weeks. He has contacted the general SFO lost and found but they referred him back to UA.

Does anyone have any hints/advice at all - other than not to check an untagged bag We all know that this was a mistake of his making.

thanks in advance

Lurker
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:14 am

Read about 25+ threads don’t see an answer. This page needs a better wiki.

So United lost our $250 stroller. At this point it is gone. I’m sure they’ll reimburse us for the cost but we ended up doing our vacation with no stroller because of this. 10+ phone calls, etc..

Does UA offer any compensation for this beyond reimbursement? What should I expect an Ecert?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
So United lost our $250 stroller. At this point it is gone. I’m sure they’ll reimburse us for the cost but we ended up doing our vacation with no stroller because of this. 10+ phone calls, etc..

Does UA offer any compensation for this beyond reimbursement? What should I expect an Ecert?
Did you discuss the possibility of a rental with UA?
UA probably would cover the rental cost if pre-approved by the Lost Bags folks.

And you might get a small ETC for the inconvenience, see United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
EWR-MCO on a Z fare, bags never made plane. 1 bag ended up on the flight behind us and a 2nd bag ended up two flights behind us. filed report in MCO right away said bags would be delivery by 10PM Delivered to our hotel 14 hours later at 5AM. not end of the world but couldn't take my contacts out until 5am lol.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Is there a limitation on how far UA will deliver delayed baggage? Typically if the bag is delayed, they'll deliver it to my hotel. What if after arrival, I get on another flight on another airline to some place Ua doesnt fly to like like russia. Will UA deliver my bag there?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by albertopgc
I flew two weeks ago with United SIN-SFO-EWR-LIM. I got a long layover (14 hours) in SFO. After I passed the customs in SFO, I just dropped my luggage in the transit belt. I didn't see again my luggage until LIM.

I was surprised that my luggage didn't arrive even that I had a couple of hours in EWR.

Finally my luggage arrived two days later and after the luggage was delivered in my place I could recognize that some item were missed, because I felt a little bit lighter. I checked as soon as I got it and there were some item missing (camera lens and filter kit, Polaris amenity kit).

I already sent two claims to united because the delay and the item missing. But I didn't receive any reply, yet. I am a MP 1k and after flying with United for some years, it's the first time that I have this kind of incident.

Do you have any experience with United to get a reimburse?
After a couple of months and several calls, yesterday I got a full refund of the item missing in my luggage (~US$ 600) and got a reimburse for the expenses (clothes and toiletries) due the delay of luggage (~US$ 200). Additional to the reimburse, I also got US$ 200 (for the delay of my luggage) and US$ 300 (for the item missing) in United's vouchers as compensation for the inconvenience and they were sent me at the beginning of the claim. I have to recognize the 1K baggage services helped a lot on my claim, but I had to follow up every two weeks my claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.