Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lexdevil
1. Does correcting the information re-set the 72 hour clock?
The delivery address and initial definitely wouldn't. If they were looking for the wrong tag, I could see an argument, but probably not. I doubt that the DOT would look too fondly on this. "Sorry, because we were extra incompetent, we need more time to recover from our own mistakes."

2. Does it make a difference that the errors were made by United or SFO personnel (I'm not sure which it is in International baggage claim)?
No.

3. Is United pushing for a police report so they can say that the bag was not delayed or lost and avoid having to pay? If they are, can they get away with that?
I don't think so, and no. Their responsibility doesn't end until they've reunited the passenger with their bag. As long as she has a valid claim check -- which it sounds like she does -- your son's GF Is protected. If the bag was stolen, it's still UA's responsibility for not checking IDs or claim checks at baggage claim. (Yes, I know that few airlines / airports do that these days, but that's because the airlines are taking a calculated risk: most people grab their own bags, and nobody likes having to stop and show their claim check).

Now, will UA try to get out of their responsibility anyway? Maybe, although most reports here are fairly positive about UA's response to baggage issues. If they do, though, she should file a DOT complaint. It takes less than 10 minutes and can be done entirely online. The DOT will follow up with UA, and, because the law is clearly on her side, it should be a fairly brief conversation, and then I expect UA CS will be in touch with her to make good.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by jsloan
The delivery address and initial definitely wouldn't. If they were looking for the wrong tag, I could see an argument, but probably not. I doubt that the DOT would look too fondly on this. "Sorry, because we were extra incompetent, we need more time to recover from our own mistakes."

No.

I don't think so, and no. Their responsibility doesn't end until they've reunited the passenger with their bag. As long as she has a valid claim check -- which it sounds like she does -- your son's GF Is protected. If the bag was stolen, it's still UA's responsibility for not checking IDs or claim checks at baggage claim. (Yes, I know that few airlines / airports do that these days, but that's because the airlines are taking a calculated risk: most people grab their own bags, and nobody likes having to stop and show their claim check).

Now, will UA try to get out of their responsibility anyway? Maybe, although most reports here are fairly positive about UA's response to baggage issues. If they do, though, she should file a DOT complaint. It takes less than 10 minutes and can be done entirely online. The DOT will follow up with UA, and, because the law is clearly on her side, it should be a fairly brief conversation, and then I expect UA CS will be in touch with her to make good.
It’s not all doom and gloom as you portray. Give it some time perhaps the bag will turn up.. Regardless siting DOT here is a bit aggressive in my opinion. In three days United owes you $1500 plain and simple per their rules.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
It’s not all doom and gloom as you portray. Give it some time perhaps the bag will turn up.. Regardless siting DOT here is a bit aggressive in my opinion. In three days United owes you $1500 plain and simple per their rules.
I agree; it's not doom and gloom at all, and I suspect that UA will follow their policies. If they don't, OP has the information needed to know how to proceed.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
It appears three days ≠ 72 hours

My son's GF's bag is still missing after 72 hours. When we called about next steps they said the policy doesn't kick in until four days later. They say that even though the bag has been missing for 72 hours, we're still w/in three days until tomorrow.

I guess this means they interpret 3 days as calendar days rather than 24 hour days. Bag went missing on Sunday. Monday = day 1. Tuesday = day 2. Wednesday = day 3. So we get to call in again tomorrow and wait on hold forever again (unless the bag miraculously appears).

Last edited by lexdevil; Aug 7, 2019 at 5:01 pm
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
My son's GF's bag is still missing after 72 hours. When we called about next steps they said the policy doesn't kick in until four days later. They say that even though the bag has been missing for 72 hours, we're still w/in three days until tomorrow.

I guess this means they interpret 3 days as calendar days rather than 24 hour days. Bag went missing on Sunday. Monday = day 1. Tuesday = day 2. Wednesday = day 3. So we get to call in again tomorrow and wait on hold forever again (unless the bag miraculously appears).
Just by chance did you look up

Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:57 pm

Just by chance did you look up

Just tried it but it says "Sorry! We did not recognize the information you entered." Tried both the reference number and the claim check number.

And the United site still says "Tracing Process Continues, check back later."
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:55 pm

End result was positive, though the bag is still missing. Called United back today (day 4). The $1500 was offered, in addition to the $100 United already sent to pay for a few necessary items she had to replace right away (in spite of the fact that she told them she had only spent $30).

Breaking News: They just found her bag at SFO, a little over an hour after arranging the $1,500 compensation. I'd call that the best of all possible outcomes. $1,600 for being without one's luggage for 4-6 days (they say delivery can take up to 48 hours). The woman she spoke to said she has no idea where the bag was and that it just appeared today.

Last edited by lexdevil; Aug 8, 2019 at 2:27 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:23 pm

End result was positive, though the bag is still missing. Called United back today (day 4). The $1500 was offered, in addition to the $100 United already sent to pay for a few necessary items she had to replace right away (in spite of the fact that she told them she had only spent $30).

Still hoping that the bag will show up eventually, but the woman we spoke with today said that the odds are slim. Because the bag was scanned on arrival at SFO, it's most likely that someone took it in error. If they took it instead of their own bag, United would know that by now because the person would be looking for their own bag. She thinks it is most likely that a group accidentally mixed it in with their bags. She says that when this happens and they get to their hotel and realize they have an extra bag, they often just abandon it.
Happy that the payment is out-of-the-way, hopefully the bag will turn up soon. In my opinion stay on it for a little while. Good Luck and keep us posted
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:34 pm

Happy that the payment is out-of-the-way, hopefully the bag will turn up soon. In my opinion stay on it for a little while. Good Luck and keep us posted
Check out my edit below. They just called us. They found the bag today. About an hour after they promised the check.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:41 pm

Check out my edit below. They just called us. They found the bag today. About an hour after they promised the check.
That’s fantastic news! Cash plus the bag :-)

It works pretty well whenever I had an issue with United once it’s in the system you’ll know when the bag is progressing to be deliveredRemember now you can track with:https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:10 pm

Delayed laggage compensation

Hi everyone I want to learn your view on recent incident about delayed baggage from united airlines. I had a flight from İstanbul to Nashville through munich and Chicago. When I arrived in Chicago I realized that my luggage was not there. I consulted to the UA officer she said you applied for lost baggage in Nashville. When I landed in Nashville, I filled the report and took reference number BNA52xxxxx (7.22.2019). However, I had nothing with me and I bought clothes, sanitation Stuff, shoes, and new briefcase. They delivered my laggage in 7.28.2019. No one neither called nor sent e-mail about compensation. I filled claim form 1.8.2019. Lastly, I want to learn that what can I do now and Am I eligible for 1500$ compensation. Thank you very much for your responses

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2019 at 5:17 pm Reason: removed personal information
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by walker295
However, I had nothing with me and I bought clothes, sanitation Stuff, shoes, and new briefcase. They delivered my laggage in 7.28.2019. No one neither called nor sent e-mail about compensation. I filled claim form 1.8.2019. Lastly, I want to learn that what can I do now and Am I eligible for 1500$ compensation. Thank you very much for your responses
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

UA will not be proactive about compensation, but they should pay when you contact them. However, yes, you are eligible for either $1500 (UA policy) or your actual expenses up to about $1550 (international air treaty called the Montreal Convention). If you spent less than $1500, just ask for that.

When you say you filed a claim form on August 1, what do you mean, exactly?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:04 pm

Thank you very much for your response. When I say August.1, I mean that the data when I submitted my claim in UA system. However, I lost some reciepts that I bought.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by walker295
Thank you very much for your response. When I say August.1, I mean that the data when I submitted my claim in UA system. However, I lost some reciepts that I bought.
Did you request the $1,500 or just actual expenses?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:12 pm

I sent them e-mail saying that according to your regulation written in your website if you do not find out laggage after three days, you reimbursed it. I demanded them to take necessary actions writtenn their website. What else Can I do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.