Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dshafiee
First trip this year via EWR and UA looses our bag. 1k baggage is trying to get a hold of EWR baggage services to no avail.

Bag was unloaded in EWR and so far not loaded anywhere else.

Any suggestions?
​​
Continue to work with the 1K baggage desk. Make sure that they have your itinerary so that they know where to get you your bag. Get confirmation of their approval to purchase replacements for anything that you need in the interim.

Unless you happen to be at EWR, which it sounds like you're not, I'm not sure what other options you have.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 12:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
First trip this year via EWR and UA looses our bag. 1k baggage is trying to get a hold of EWR baggage services to no avail.

Bag was unloaded in EWR and so far not loaded anywhere else.

Any suggestions? How many bags?
​​
How long has this been?

Do you need immediate replacement items?

What does https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/ report?

This thread's wiki has some useful information if this becomes an extended issue.

The good news is the vast majority of bags are re-united in 2-3 days and UA will deliver them to wherever you are.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
1K baggage is very thorough, but not extremely quick. From my prior experience to keep you updated but the information flows a little bit slowly. I hope everything works out and you reunited very quickly with your luggage
Old Mar 23, 2021, 9:36 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Update

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
1K baggage is very thorough, but not extremely quick. From my prior experience to keep you updated but the information flows a little bit slowly. I hope everything works out and you reunited very quickly with your luggage
I just wanted to report back that they found the bag Late Monday and got it to us Tuesday. I do have to say the 1k Baggage desk was great. Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 1:03 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I just wanted to report back that they found the bag Late Monday and got it to us Tuesday. I do have to say the 1k Baggage desk was great. Thanks for the help.
Happy to hear that it all worked out well for you, and your were reunited with your luggage..
Old May 10, 2021, 10:13 am

Hello fellow FTers.

IAD->LHR (UA)->VIE (OS)->TGD (OS), business, *S, if it matters. This is an award ticket with taxes paid with my Chase UC Visa.

Arrived in TGD. Checked luggage did not arrive. 'World Tracer' has it arriving Thursday, sometime after 5 PM. TGD is not sure that it is able to delivery it over an hour away (Budva).

I had only planned to stay in Budva tonight and then travel south to Albania. That can't happen now. Losing 3 days of my vacation. Fortunately did not pre-book any lodging other than tonight. I also have learned not to make any effort to take anything through LHR in a carryon in terms of toiletries, therefore other than toothpaste, I am out of luck. I do have a change of clothes with me.

What are my options? What can I purchase? FWIW, I had a similar situation a few years ago where UA wiggled out of reimbursing me for the basics. I don't want to over expend - basic toiletries and maybe a change of clothes although not sure I can just buy 1 pair of socks and 1 pair of briefs. And any compensation for having to return to TGD to pickup the bag, not to mention I am going to have to utilize my phone to communicate with the airport?

(Editorial comment - this is the 3rd time this has happened to me at LHR and each time there was a long connect time. OS was late getting into VIE and I had 15 minutes to make my TGD flight. I didn't expect LHR to be the problem; I fully expected VIE to be the problem, but not insurmountable because another flight VIE->TGD arrives early evening.)

Thanks.
Old May 10, 2021, 10:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lamphs
Hello fellow FTers.

IAD->LHR (UA)->VIE (OS)->TGD (OS), business, *S, if it matters. ....
Arrived in TGD. Checked luggage did not arrive.

What are my options? What can I purchase? ....
OS is the responsible carrier for missing bags for this situation per IATA rules (UA will direct you to OS)
Old May 10, 2021, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
OS is the responsible carrier for missing bags for this situation per IATA rules (UA will direct you to OS)
Furthermore, I suspect that OS would deliver the luggage to wherever OP was going.

I had a miserable experience getting OS to pay for the incidentals when they had a two-day luggage delay, but they finally did make good after I got the DOT involved. Their initial stance was that they'd cover whatever my travel insurance didn't cover, which (a) isn't the way insurance works and (b) I didn't have insurance anyway.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:28 am

Hello fellow FTers.

IAD->LHR (UA)->VIE (OS)->TGD (OS), business, *S, if it matters. This is an award ticket with taxes paid with my Chase UC Visa.
If you're working with the airline you need to follow up with OS. They should pay for toiletries, etc. until up to about $1,500 limit set by the Montreal Convention. You do have an obligation to minimize expenses.

https://www.austrian.com/us/en/faq-b...ggage-problems

The United Club Visa also has delayed baggage reimbursment if you can't extract the cash you're owed from the airline. I don't have the guide to benefits for that card but there are a couple of threads over on the Chase forum, for example this one: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...im-policy.html

I don't think anyone will pay for heading back to the airport or your phone bills.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Hello fellow FTers.

Arrived in TGD. Checked luggage did not arrive. 'World Tracer' has it arriving Thursday, sometime after 5 PM. TGD is not sure that it is able to delivery it over an hour away (Budva).

I had only planned to stay in Budva tonight and then travel south to Albania. That can't happen now. Losing 3 days of my vacation. Fortunately did not pre-book any lodging other than tonight. I also have learned not to make any effort to take anything through LHR in a carryon in terms of toiletries, therefore other than toothpaste, I am out of luck. I do have a change of clothes with me.

What are my options? What can I purchase? FWIW, I had a similar situation a few years ago where UA wiggled out of reimbursing me for the basics. I don't want to over expend - basic toiletries and maybe a change of clothes although not sure I can just buy 1 pair of socks and 1 pair of briefs. And any compensation for having to return to TGD to pickup the bag, not to mention I am going to have to utilize my phone to communicate with the airport?

(Editorial comment - this is the 3rd time this has happened to me at LHR and each time there was a long connect time. OS was late getting into VIE and I had 15 minutes to make my TGD flight. I didn't expect LHR to be the problem; I fully expected VIE to be the problem, but not insurmountable because another flight VIE->TGD arrives early evening.)

Thanks.
As @WineCountryUA mentioned under IATA rules OS as the ultimate delivering carrier is responsible for all of your luggage issues and any related compensation -- UA has noting to do with this issue so it's not so much a "wiggling out of" but laying blame in the appropriate party (The very very upside of this rule is It doesn't matter where your bag was never even loaded on the aircraft by UA at IAD, OS is the only airline you need to worry about communicating with and they'll handle any indemnification behind the scenes. Likewise rerouting the luggage to an alternate airport where it can rejoin you on your vacation should not be an issue. I've done it a handful of times where by the time my luggage would arrive where I am it would serve no value to me -- in one case I had it sent to the final destination for my next (separate) ticket. That said not having lodging planned and not having a firm timeline of when the baggage will be recovered definately makes it more challenging to know where to send it.

IATA Resolutions provide for the inter-airline policy and procedure (generally, in this case Resolution 743/743a) but this IATA document has a good abstract of the working principles
The carrier on which the passenger travelled to the point of stopover or final destination where the baggage is missing, is responsible for raising a file, tracing and tracking the missing baggage in order to deliver it back to the passenger. Nevertheless, at the request of the passenger, any carrier involved in the interline passenger journey should start the tracing process and then notify the carrier to whom the loss will be or was originally reported. [...]When the destination to which the baggage needs to be delivered is not on the routing shown on the ticket, the baggage shall be forwarded to the nearest airport point at the expense of the airline responsible for the mishandling. Mishandled baggage (also known as RUSH baggage) shall be forwarded without charge by the fastest possible means using the services of any airline member, to the airport nearest to the passenger's address. Forwarding of such expedite baggage should not be restricted nor delayed at an interline connecting point for security reasons provided it has been screened.
and

At the destination airport the expedite baggage shall be delivered to the passenger: • by the airline on whose flight the passenger had travelled to the final destination or point of stopover; or • in case the airline is not represented at the final destination or point of stopover, by any IATA Member, preferably by the Member on whose flight the expedite baggage arrived at such airport.
Page 22 also has the juicy details on the behind the scenes financial side of things if you're into it (I find it a great sleeping aid)
Old May 10, 2021, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by jsloan
Furthermore, I suspect that OS would deliver the luggage to wherever OP was going.

I had a miserable experience getting OS to pay for the incidentals when they had a two-day luggage delay, but they finally did make good after I got the DOT involved. Their initial stance was that they'd cover whatever my travel insurance didn't cover, which (a) isn't the way insurance works and (b) I didn't have insurance anyway.
Originally Posted by threeoh
If you're working with the airline you need to follow up with OS. They should pay for toiletries, etc. until up to about $1,500 limit set by the Montreal Convention. You do have an obligation to minimize expenses.

https://www.austrian.com/us/en/faq-b...ggage-problems

The United Club Visa also has delayed baggage reimbursment if you can't extract the cash you're owed from the airline. I don't have the guide to benefits for that card but there are a couple of threads over on the Chase forum, for example this one: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...im-policy.html

I don't think anyone will pay for heading back to the airport or your phone bills.
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
As @WineCountryUA mentioned under IATA rules OS as the ultimate delivering carrier is responsible for all of your luggage issues and any related compensation -- UA has noting to do with this issue so it's not so much a "wiggling out of" but laying blame in the appropriate party (The very very upside of this rule is It doesn't matter where your bag was never even loaded on the aircraft by UA at IAD, OS is the only airline you need to worry about communicating with and they'll handle any indemnification behind the scenes. Likewise rerouting the luggage to an alternate airport where it can rejoin you on your vacation should not be an issue. I've done it a handful of times where by the time my luggage would arrive where I am it would serve no value to me -- in one case I had it sent to the final destination for my next (separate) ticket. That said not having lodging planned and not having a firm timeline of when the baggage will be recovered definately makes it more challenging to know where to send it.

IATA Resolutions provide for the inter-airline policy and procedure (generally, in this case Resolution 743/743a) but this IATA document has a good abstract of the working principles

and

Page 22 also has the juicy details on the behind the scenes financial side of things if you're into it (I find it a great sleeping aid)
As usual, FTers rock! Confirmed now that the bag goes from LHR to VIE tomorrow. The next scheduled flight to TGD is 13 May, so I would not expect to see the bag in Budva until dinner time or so.

If am I understanding correctly, I could make a call and ask that the bag goes from VIE to TIR (my next stop) as there is a daily OS flight. And I could pickup the bag there? And I'll buy a few items to tide me over. I'll post something on the LH thread to verify this. In any case, I'll report back.

(With regards to UA 'wiggling out' of a situation - that was all UA metal.)

Many thanks everyone!
Old May 10, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
If am I understanding correctly, I could make a call and ask that the bag goes from VIE to TIR (my next stop) as there is a daily OS flight. And I could pickup the bag there? And I'll buy a few items to tide me over. I'll post something on the LH thread to verify this. In any case, I'll report
You should definitely be able to make that request whether the person you talk to at OS will know how to accommodate is is unknown (I have not experience with OS, let alone bag handling) but I doubt you'd be the first one in the "I'm here today but need to be there tomorrow" camp OS has ever dealt with.
Old May 10, 2021, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
You should definitely be able to make that request whether the person you talk to at OS will know how to accommodate is is unknown (I have not experience with OS, let alone bag handling) but I doubt you'd be the first one in the "I'm here today but need to be there tomorrow" camp OS has ever dealt with.
I remember getting a worldtracer.aero tracking number when I had my OS issue. That's a common platform used by many airlines, and one of the things it has is the ability to input a passenger itinerary -- basically, you can put in multiple delivery addresses with effectivity dates.

So, I agree, this should be straightforward for them.
Old May 10, 2021, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
...Their initial stance was that they'd cover whatever my travel insurance didn't cover...
Seems like they got it backwards.
Old May 10, 2021, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Seems like they got it backwards.
Right? I was absolutely stunned.

Anyway, like I said, a DOT complaint resolved the issue and I was made whole. But it was much more work than dealing with LH for a similar claim (later on the same trip, actually), despite OS and LH both having the same ownership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.