Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by walker295
I sent them e-mail saying that according to your regulation written in your website if you do not find out laggage after three days, you reimbursed it. I demanded them to take necessary actions writtenn their website. What else Can I do
If you requested explicitly the full $1,500, you do not need receipts, that's all you need to do. Nothing more to do until you hear back from UA. I would give it another week.
If no response, I would send another message to the same method you did on the 1st.
If after another week, no response, file a DOT Complaint
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you requested explicitly the full $1,500, you do not need receipts, that's all you need to do. Nothing more to do until you hear back from UA. I would give it another week.
If no response, I would send another message to the same method you did on the 1st.
If after another week, no response, file a DOT Complaint
I would call them. I found them very helpful by phone. The agent told me she was ordering the check and when to expect it.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:44 pm

Delayed baggage

Thank you all for your responses. Today I tried to reach baggage resolution team but I could not reach them because everytime they were busy. Besides to this, I sent e-mail but they sent me authomatic response. There is no progress today
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by walker295
... Today I tried to reach baggage resolution team but I could not reach them because everytime they were busy ....
Not surprising with the past few days of weather issues / irrops / misconnects.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA - Premier 1K, UA MM 1K; Marriott Platinum
Hi guys,

I need some guidance on my latest snafue with United. Long story short - I want to know if United has a limit on compensation for business class travelers due to cancelled flights and lost baggage which resulted in significant interim expenses? My fiasco involved a missed weekend in Paris due to a cancelled flight (mechanical issues), lost bags for 4 days, and having to buy business attire due to my bags not arriving in time for my meetings.

Summary of my ordeal:
- My wife and I had a weekend planned in Paris (Take off Friday, land on Saturday morning - stay through Sunday night - then depart to Copenhagen for business meetings on Monday - Wednesday).
- Our SFO to EWR flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues. The next flight out from SFO wasn't until 6 hours later, so we missed our connection from EWR to CDG (Paris). The next flight to Paris from EWR was the next day. Thus we landed in Paris Sunday - missing our entire weekend in Paris - including an expensive hotel for Saturday night. To make matters better, we landed in Paris to find out our bags did NOT arrive and were never transferred to the plane - they were still in EWR. I was told they would not arrive until Monday morning. Too bad we were booked on a flight from Paris to Copenhagen Sunday night - I had business meetings that week in Copenhagen that I could not miss (and the entire reason for this trip - it was a business trip first and foremost).
- Thus, spent pretty much ALL of Sunday in Paris (our only hours in the city) shopping for two suits for my meetings, shoes, casual wear (we only had the clothes we were wearing on the plane), and formal wear for my wife for a business dinner she needed to attend. Since we didn't have a ton of time, we just went to the most convenient place we could find - Hugo boss - admittedly not the cheapest, but we only had 6 hours to get everything done - I did not have time to shop for the best deal. The Suits and shoes were a bulk of the expense, but everything in total added up to $6,000 (we also had to buy new luggage since we had no way to transport the suits and clothes we bought! ARGH!).
- Bags finally arrive in Copenhagen on Thursday at our hotel.

I file a claim the week I get back with all receipts for purchases, and detailed explanation of what happened and how we were inconvenienced. I called United Baggage as well (many times during this process) - they told me that since we flew business class, there was no limit to the amount we could get reimbursed - but we had to keep all receipts, which we did.

I just received a response from United, saying that as stated in their "Contract of Carriage", maximum liability for each passenger for interinational flights is $1,900 so the maximum "settlement" amount for two people is $3,800 for "full and final settlement of your claim for ticketed passengers".

Is this correct? I looked at United's contract of carriage (updated July 2019) and don't see any reference to any $1,900 limit. If this is true, I am shocked - No one, in my many many calls to United 1k baggage desk and at the airport mentioned any such limit. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-carriage.html

Last edited by Wangta; Aug 29, 2019 at 12:45 pm
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Any incident of lost or delayed baggage on an international flight is governed by the Montreal Convention, in which case the carrier is liable for your actual incidental expenses as a result of the delay, but in no case shall that liability exceed 1,131 SDR per passenger (special drawing rights -- about $1.716 each today) which is $1,941.56 (or approximately $1,900). Unfortunately, this is a pretty hard limit and unless you specifically insured the contents of your baggage by an additional contract, you are out of luck beyond that amount.

Rule 28 of the Contract of Carriage specifies:

Rule 28 Additional Liability Limitations
For the purposes of international carriage governed by the Montreal Convention, the liability rules set out in the Montreal Convention are fully incorporated by reference herein and shall supersede and prevail over any provisions of this tariff which may be inconsistent with those rules.

(D) The Carrier is liable for damages sustained in the case of destruction or loss of, damage to, or delay of checked and unchecked baggage, as provided in the following paragraphs:
(1) Except as provided below, the liability of the Carrier is limited to 1,131 Special Drawing Rights for each passenger in the case of destruction, loss, damage, or delay of baggage, whether checked or unchecked, under the Warsaw Convention or the Montreal Convention, whichever may apply.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Any incident of lost or delayed baggage on an international flight is governed by the Montreal Convention, in which case the carrier is liable for your actual incidental expenses as a result of the delay, but in no case shall that liability exceed 1,131 SDR per passenger (special drawing rights -- about $1.716 each today) which is $1,941.56 (or approximately $1,900). Unfortunately, this is a pretty hard limit and unless you specifically insured the contents of your baggage by an additional contract, you are out of luck beyond that amount.

Rule 28 of the Contract of Carriage specifies:
Thanks Findark. Why the hell didn't they tell me that? And perhaps this is wishful thinking, but isn't that a legal limit? United *could* compensate me more should they wish to do so?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wangta
Thanks Findark. Why the hell didn't they tell me that? And perhaps this is wishful thinking, but isn't that a legal limit? United *could* compensate me more should they wish to do so?
Yes, they could compensate you more than that, if they chose to do so, but they are not required to do that by law.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:04 pm

As findark says, the limit for what they have to pay you is $1,900 for int'l itineraries. The limit is much higher ($3,500) for domestic itineraries, which is counter-intuitive.

Never heard of a "no limit" rule for J, and it's certainly not in the CoC so not sure where that came from.

Was the ticket booked with a credit card that might offer supplemental insurance? (Up to $500 per person for high-end Chase cards, for example.)

Could probably get a few hundred in ETC vouchers for the mechanical overnight delay in J, also.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
i’m on my mobile phone and I can’t see your status what status do you have with United. I would take the compensation from baggage claim because you’re getting $3800 out of the $6000 spend plus you have the use of the items going forward so that has to have some type of value. I believe United will create an ECERT for you and your wife that will help ease the burden of the additional expense. How much will be based on the way you write the letter to them, I would shorten the wording, be super polite, and ask for their assistance. You can do this to the customer contact section of the UA.com website. Good luck, and keep us posted
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Depending on what card you used to purchase the trip, it might be possible to get some recourse there? (For example, the CSR: https://www.chase.com/content/chasec...bursement.html)

Edit: Oops! someone else mentioned it while I was typing :P
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

i’m on my mobile phone and I can’t see your status what status do you have with United. I would take the compensation from baggage claim because you’re getting $3800 out of the $6000 spend plus you have the use of the items going forward so that has to have some type of value. I believe United will create an ECERT for you and your wife that will help ease the burden of the additional expense. How much will be based on the way you write the letter to them, I would shorten the wording, be super polite, and ask for their assistance. You can do this to the customer contact section of the UA.com website. Good luck, and keep us posted
Hi flying machine - I am 1K status on United. Debating on website or calling?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Hi flying machine - I am 1K status on United. Debating on website or calling?
If you’re a 1K , I would definitely write in and I think you’ll be pleased with their reply . Check the back of your card because I think there’s a special email address for 1Ks to write in, I’m not a fan of calling I think you get further with the written word
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would be extremely polite and gracious if you go that route -- "full and final settlement of your claim for ticketed passengers" sounds a lot like the claim was already routed through corporate audit and/or legal for approval (not that surprising for such a large amount). Honestly, I wouldn't expect a whole lot more out of them.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I would be extremely polite and gracious if you go that route -- "full and final settlement of your claim for ticketed passengers" sounds a lot like the claim was already routed through corporate audit and/or legal for approval (not that surprising for such a large amount). Honestly, I wouldn't expect a whole lot more out of them.
Customer care vouchers, shouldn’t be impacted by a baggage claim settlement. Perhaps I’m more bullish than you are. I know the OP will come back with us and let us know how well they did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.