Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I am confused about what I need to complete for a delayed baggage issue. I flew PWM-EWR-FLL on UA. My UA flight arrived in FLL at 2:30am on 12/21 (after a 6 hour delay). We checked two bags from our original destination but no bags were found at FLL. I completed a lost baggage form at the airport. Unfortunately, we had to catch a cruise, and our ship left Fort Lauderdale at 5pm on 12/21. Our bags arrived in FLL at 6pm on 12/21 and sat at the airport until our cruise was over on 12/28. We now have our bags. I had to buy some clothes and incidentals for the cruise. How would I get those reimbursed? What form do I need to complete? Should I also send a message to customer care about the issue? I would appreciate some suggestions about how to proceed.
1. Read this thread's wiki
2. start with Delayed baggage and claim form
3. then Submit a claim
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
1. Read this thread's wiki
2. start with Delayed baggage and claim form
3. then Submit a claim
Thanks. I should have read the wiki first (instead of the thread).
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
UA Delivery Agent Lost Bags

For my last trip, I paid for the UA VIP Baggage Service for delivery to my destination within 4 hours of landing.

The next day, after not delivering my bags successfully, the delivery people lost my bags. United Global Services said the bags made it to the airport, but couldn't give additional advice or info. The VIP Bag Delivery office is closed for the holidays.

Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Diamond Golden Circle
Odd situation:

I do not recall losing a bag. I received a call recently from a UA rep asking me to call them back to speak about a lost bag. They provided a file reference number and sure enough that file reference number once entered into the system shows my name/email/UA#/etc.

Thing is as far as I can recall I do not have a lost bag. I travel a lot, and am getting older so anything is possible with my forgetfullness.

How should I handle this? Is a it a scam? Was my bag mixed with someone else's? Is it possible that just something fell out of one of my bags with my name on it?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Delayed Baggage on Ski Trip - What will United Cover?

Flew SFO-JAC today on UA 5903. 10:40 AM departure, and I checked my ski bag at 8:25 AM. Landed in JAC on time, but my bag did not. The CSR guessed that the ERJ175 ran out of room, which was why it didn't make it on the plane.

I filled out the baggage form, and eventually got an update that it was being rerouted via DEN. SFO-DEN-JAC. UA720 and UA248.

Bag made it on to UA248, but the plane circled JAC and is now headed back to DEN. A local United rep at JAC just called and said that the place e was going back to DEN, and that it would not be returning tonight. I purchased the ticket on an ETC, so I don't have credit card protection.

Will United cover my costs of ski gear for tomorrow? Any idea on what the limits are and whether or not they cover clothes?

The weather at JAC is unfortunate, but not getting my bags on the plane is upsetting.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Will United cover my costs of ski gear for tomorrow? Any idea on what the limits are and whether or not they cover clothes? ...
Couple of incidents in this thread and only one with any but conflicting resolutions
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29546875-post362.html
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:08 pm

Thanks!

The United rep that called me from JAC was adamant that Unites would cover my costs as long as I had receipts, and to "go have fun on your vacation." I don't want to get stuck with a $500+ bill for my gear.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:36 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Priority tag means nothing here? OP says he is a 1K. They choose his bag to leave?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:00 pm

Confirmed. Am 1K. Can also confirm that bags without priority tags made it.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ted
\OP says he is a 1K. They choose his bag to leave?
That'll teach him to use at ETC! Cash is king.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Zoltar
Odd situation:

I do not recall losing a bag. I received a call recently from a UA rep asking me to call them back to speak about a lost bag. They provided a file reference number and sure enough that file reference number once entered into the system shows my name/email/UA#/etc.

Thing is as far as I can recall I do not have a lost bag. I travel a lot, and am getting older so anything is possible with my forgetfullness.

How should I handle this? Is a it a scam? Was my bag mixed with someone else's? Is it possible that just something fell out of one of my bags with my name on it?
Dying to know what happened!

If you're worried it's a scam, just call the main UA baggage number and start there.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Confirmed. Am 1K. Can also confirm that bags without priority tags made it.
Sounds like your equipment finally made it.

Enjoy the fresh powder!

Hidden 1K benefit: expedited lost/delayed luggage handling.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onthesam
Hidden 1K benefit: expedited lost/delayed luggage handling.
That's not what the OP said. There was a suggestion that UA should have pulled a bag without premier tags instead of a bag that had tags. OP was saying that some non-premier bags were delivered.

In actuality, priority bags are the most likely to be removed if there's a weight or space issue. The way the system is supposed to work is that tagged bags are loaded onto the plane last so that they will be removed from the plane first. The problem is, if the cargo hold is full, it's priority bags that are sitting on the outside, and if they have to unload something for weight, it's priority bags that are the closest to the door.

You could certainly argue that they shouldn't do this, but that's the reality of the situation nonetheless. Without an explicit policy to the contrary, and with the focus on D:0, I'd expect the baggage handlers to take the most expedient route to getting the plane on its way.

OP: is equipment rental an option? In theory, the last delivering carrier (UA) is responsible for direct consequential damages due to delayed baggage. In practice, I've never tried to claim anything as expensive as ski equipment. (OT: This thread reminds me, though -- I need to submit a DOT complaint against SN for refusing to pay for my clothes when they delivered my bags two days late; their representative insisted that my insurance should be responsible, and if I didn't have insurance, I was supposed to get a certificate from my insurance company saying that they wouldn't cover it).
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:45 pm

My bag is out for delivery this afternoon; it finally got in from DEN. I rented skis, boots, poles, a helmet, and some unlined pants and snow pants. I bought gloves, goggles, and some warm base layers. The cost of rentals was $149 and the gear I had to purchase was $600+. (I purchased gear equivalent to what was in my bag, and what was necessary for safe skiing.)

I plan on requesting reimbursement for all out of pocket expenses.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by jsloan
That's not what the OP said. There was a suggestion that UA should have pulled a bag without premier tags instead of a bag that had tags. OP was saying that some non-premier bags were delivered..
Mere (perhaps silly) speculation on the part of the agent. Nobody established that the bag was 'pulled' vs left on wrong cart, stuck in TSA, etc. My only point was 1K status can help get OP's bag back to OP faster.

OP: good look recovering . Since nobody seems to know what position UA will take, please let us know what they say regarding reimbursement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.