Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
I went through this thread and could not find a direct answer. My bag has been missing for 3 days now. If United calls me and offers me $1500 and I take it does that mean they will stop looking for the bag?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:53 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by nabz34
Obviously filing a claim for lost bag through United and will follow that up with a claim on my Chase Sapphire Reserve card, but would prefer to get the bag back if possible. ....
CSR is secondary, so basically anything that united won't cover.

Originally Posted by expressboy
I went through this thread and could not find a direct answer. My bag has been missing for 3 days now. If United calls me and offers me $1500 and I take it does that mean they will stop looking for the bag?
They should keep looking for it, but I believe the $1,500 will be the max you can receive. Do you have a reference number? you should be able to check the status on wheresmysuitcase.com
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by mr8
You can get reimbursed for anything you needed to buy - phone charger, clothes, toiletries, etc. I believe they cover up to $100/day(?) when your baggage is delayed up to 3 days, and then it jumps to an automatic $1500 if delayed for longer.

For some reason, I always thought they don't cover if it is lost on the leg back to your home airport. I could be wrong though.

$1500 is max for the no-questions-asked payout. If you have receipts and are willing to go through the process of documenting the contents, the limit is higher - $3500.

The policy makes no difference if you are on your way home or out, and I don't see any logical reason they would be able to justify this.

Also ...

I'm reading this thread because United lost my bag. Bag contained the entirety of my work wardrobe + a suit + two gowns for my wife (Was on a long work trip that ended with an in-town wedding). After a bit of arguing, United agreed to pay $400 so I can buy at least one outfit for work while they continue to try and locate/return the bag.

They believe that the bag ended up in Amsterdam (I was flying EWR-MCO), and after two days they started the process of bringing that bag to Orlando -- hopefully it is actually mine, and nothing has gotten damaged/missing.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by some dude
The policy makes no difference if you are on your way home or out, and I don't see any logical reason they would be able to justify this.
The interim expense reimbursement on outbound only makes sense to me (it was my recollection also but I can't recall reading it anywhere): It's intended to keep you clothed/bathed for a couple days while an errant bag is found or alternate arrangements can be made. Presumably if you're heading home you have the big suitcase called a "closet" or "dresser" or the like that has many more clothes/toiletries than you would need for a couple days.

Originally Posted by some dude
They believe that the bag ended up in Amsterdam (I was flying EWR-MCO), and after two days they started the process of bringing that bag to Orlando -- hopefully it is actually mine, and nothing has gotten damaged/missing.
Ouch.

Amsterdam is a great city/airport though, hopefully your bag enjoyed it's sojourn
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:24 pm

Question Lost baggage at SFO by United

Hi,

i'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything relevant.

On my flight from from YYZ to SFO (through Chicago and Phoenix), my checked bag was lost by United. Not super surprising given that my bag had to be rerouted. I made a claim upon arrival at the baggage desk when my bag was not where it was supposed to be, and they could not locate it.

It has now been 2 full days since arrival. Initially, about 3 hours after landing, United said they had found my bag, and scheduled delivery for the next morning. The bag however never arrived, and the delivery company continues to claim that they have never had the bag. The staff at SFO insist that the bag has been delivered (they even closed my claim!). I checked the address they have on file is correct, and the hotel I am staying at definitely does not have the bag. Clearly, United has no idea where my bag is, and they are giving me the run around. They had to open a new claim, but they said I am not entitled to compensation (once it becomes 3 days), as my bag was "found". I have explained that this is quite contrary to the delivery company's position, as well as the fact that they currently cannot locate it. If this goes to 3 days, I will continue to make my case.

Anyways, my main question at this point is, has anyone ever completed the Expenses Incurred While your Bag was Lost/Delayed claim form? If so, how much ($) was covered, and over what time frame? I'm just trying to find out what is reasonable for clothing, shoes, toiletries, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help. This has certainly been a stressful situation.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACFlyer90
If so, how much ($) was covered, and over what time frame? I'm just trying to find out what is reasonable for clothing, shoes, toiletries, etc.
The DOT does not allow them to put a limit on direct expenses below that specified by the Montreal Convention (~US$1536, I believe), provided that the expenses are documented and considered "reasonable." UA's own policy is to provide US$1500 -- no receipts needed -- if the bag isn't found within 72 hours.

I've personally gotten reimbursement of about $250 from UA for a two day delay, no questions asked (and this was well before the latest DOT guidance).
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:25 pm

Does any reimbursement they offer come out of the total $1500 they provide you if this goes beyond 3 days?

Ie. if i have $500 expenses, will they only give me $1000 once it's past 3 days?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
I wanted to share my experience regarding lost baggage and compensation, in hopes that it will be useful to some of you as I see some of the previous questions being asked.

Day 0: Checked in 2 bags in SFO, one arrived in BCN, the other didn't. I filed a baggage claim at the airport (the ground handling agent for United is Groundforce).
Day 1, 2: Called United a couple times, but no worthwhile updates. 1st agent "puts a note in the system" saying that I am authorized for $150 reimbursement for clothing and toiletries, and advises me to keep receipts. I didn't end up using this.
Day 4: Called United again, no update, but without prompting, the agent says that I am entitled to $1500 compensation. He specifically says that even if my bag is worth $1000, I get to keep all $1500. He also says that they will keep looking for the bag, and even if they find the bag after issuing me the check, I still keep the $1500. And if I think my belongings are worth more than $1500, I need to submit a claim with evidence, with compensation capped at $3500. He takes my address information, and says that the compensation can take up to 10 days to process.
Day 8: Compensation payment processed.
Day 5-18: Check united.com/bagtrack periodically and call a few times, no update. One of the agents proactively asks me if I've gotten the $1500 compensation. (By this time I've come to accept that the bag is permanently lost)
Day 19: Suddenly out of nowhere, I get an email from Lufthansa's ground handling agent in VLC (that is where I wanted my bag delivered) to say that my bag is in the airport, and I should email them if I want it to be delivered to a different airport. I go and pick up the bag, and it's in pristine condition, with all of the original name tags and bag tags attached.

So in summary, positives:

+ They do keep looking for the bag even after the $1500 automatic compensation is issued!
+ The $1500 compensation seems to be something that the agents really want you to have. It's no secret, I didn't even have to bring it up myself, and the agent processed everything for me over the phone (I didn't myself do anything to request it). And further agents wanted to be sure that I received it.
+ All of the agents I spoke with were friendly and patient.

Could use work:
- No phone calls or email updates, even though on the website it says that I would be periodically updated - not even after they found the bag in SFO and put it on a flight.
- The LH ground handling agent didn't deliver the bag to my home. I didn't press them for that service, and the airport isn't far from me so I didn't mind to go pick it up, but the UA ground handling agent in BCN and the agents on the phone said that I would have received a phone call to arrange delivery directly to the address I had provided.

So all in all, I am happy with the experience, the automatic compensation, and especially that my bag was recovered after nearly 3 weeks!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flaii
Could use work:
- No phone calls or email updates, even though on the website it says that I would be periodically updated - not even after they found the bag in SFO and put it on a flight.
- The LH ground handling agent didn't deliver the bag to my home. I didn't press them for that service, and the airport isn't far from me so I didn't mind to go pick it up, but the UA ground handling agent in BCN and the agents on the phone said that I would have received a phone call to arrange delivery directly to the address I had provided....
I think these issues are LH-related, not UA-related. "the website it says that I would be periodically updated" - is that from UA's website or LH's? In my (limited) experience, a 100% United itinerary (and UA responsibility), e-mails are sent out. And if UA had the bag in their hands, it would have been delivered.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think these issues are LH-related, not UA-related. "the website it says that I would be periodically updated" - is that from UA's website or LH's? In my (limited) experience, a 100% United itinerary (and UA responsibility), e-mails are sent out. And if UA had the bag in their hands, it would have been delivered.
The language is from United’s website:

***Getting updates on your bag

After you report your bag as delayed, we will begin an immediate search for your bag. While we search for your bag, you have several options to receive updates:
  • Check your phone or email — If your baggage is delayed and was not available at your final destination, you'll receive periodic text or email updates to the phone number or email address you provided.
  • Go to united.com/bagtrack.
  • Speak to a United representative at the Baggage Resolution Center.
If we're able to locate your bag within three days, you'll be contacted by phone or email (depending on your indicated preference) to schedule delivery. We'll work to schedule delivery to the location and during the timeframe that best meets your needs.

My original itinerary was 100% UA, and the itinerary the bag ended up taking a couple weeks later was UA connecting to LH. I guess I would have expected at least one email or phone call to be put through when my bag was found at the originating airport SFO and then put on that UA flight, since the ground staff there was most likely UA (I checked the new bag tag because I was curious about the new itinerary).

I agree that if UA, or rather Groundforce in BCN, had had the bag, they would have delivered it. But based on what both communicated to me by phone and in person, the expectation all around seemed to be that the bag would be delivered to my address, despite being in a city not served by UA. I’m not upset at all, just think this is an area where there could be improvement, and to let other Flyertalkers know in case they find themselves in a similar situation

Last edited by flaii; Sep 15, 2018 at 6:07 pm
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The last operator is responsible for finding/returning lost bags. United’s website does not speak for LH.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:52 am

How to get resolution compensation from United

I have been trying since July 26,2018 to get compensation for lost luggage from United they do not answer emails and customer service is disrespectful. I have submitted detailed claim form but still nothing from hem.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT, Barbhayden
Sorry for your troubles

Originally Posted by Barbhayden
I have been trying since July 26,2018 to get compensation for lost luggage from United .....
Might help to have a little more information.

Was this an all UA trip or were there other carriers?
What has UA told you?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Barbhayden
I have been trying since July 26,2018 to get compensation for lost luggage from United they do not answer emails and customer service is disrespectful. I have submitted detailed claim form but still nothing from hem.
If you filed your claim within 45 days as required, and UA has not responded, you may consider filing a complaint with the DOT. DOT Webform
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I am confused about what I need to complete for a delayed baggage issue. I flew PWM-EWR-FLL on UA. My UA flight arrived in FLL at 2:30am on 12/21 (after a 6 hour delay). We checked two bags from our original destination but no bags were found at FLL. I completed a lost baggage form at the airport. Unfortunately, we had to catch a cruise, and our ship left Fort Lauderdale at 5pm on 12/21. Our bags arrived in FLL at 6pm on 12/21 and sat at the airport until our cruise was over on 12/28. We now have our bags. I had to buy some clothes and incidentals for the cruise. How would I get those reimbursed? What form do I need to complete? Should I also send a message to customer care about the issue? I would appreciate some suggestions about how to proceed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.