Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I'm off to a wonderful start to 2018 with United.

First drip CLE-JAX wound up with an emergency landing in ATL but my bag made it to JAX, on the way back my bag and I were supposed to be in CLE Friday, 1/5... I made it but my bag didn't. When I left for RIC on 1/7 I was still sans bag. Bag finally made it to Cleveland and then was forwarded on to Richmond 1/9. Left Richmond on Monday (1/15) for home -- after an unexpected hospital visit -- and neither bag made it home with me (though we've since been reunited).

I'm trying to decide if it's worth complaining to 1KVoice -- on one hand "stuff" happens, on the other it's kind of ridiculous that in 100% of my trips so far this year my bags have been mishandled/delayed.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:49 pm

Exclamation United Airline lost my luggage

I flew from Copenhagen Denmark to Chicago on Jan 4, 2018. Picked up my bag in Chicago and dropped it off at the UA counter for re-check in process. I missed my connection flight to Los Angeles since SAS from Copenhagen was delayed. United Airline placed me on another UA flight that was leaving a little later from Chicago to LA. I guess thats why my bag did not make it to LA when i arrived?! Anyways, when I arrived in LA, bag was not there. I reported immediately to the UA counter and they gave me a file number.

Okay, next day I called the UA number they provided and customer service in India picked up. Could hardly understand them, but they are useless and I wonder if they really do something to look for the bag. They told me to check wheremysuitcase.com, which I did. It said it was out on delivery. I called the delivery guy which information was provided on that website.. and he said he did not have the bag and not my name on the delivery list.

I drove down to LAX and spoke with UA.. they told me the bag was last scanned at terminal 7 LAX on Jan 5,2018. After that they either kept it there to see if someone picks up or their delivery service picked it up to deliver.

Today is Jan 17, 2018. I have still not received my bag. I have gone to LAX twice and drove down to their ground service warehouse to look for my bag... no where to be found. I have filed a claim, but feels like it won't go anywhere. They are still "looking" for my bag. How can they not have a clue of where it is?!?
I feel like i can do better investigation than them.

What should I do? any suggestions?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:22 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, jmbuddha, and sorry to hear about your situation.

Let's move your query over to the United forum, where the hopefully the folks there can offer some advice and resources.

/JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jmbuddha
What should I do? any suggestions?
Wait. FWIW - rushing things does not actually mean helping.

When the baggage has been lost for 21 days, which is unlikely, then you can claim the value of the entire bag.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, RR, IHG, HH, MP, National EX
Fair/Reasonable Compensation for 30 day delayed baggage?

Long Story Short: International RT; EWR -> FRA / STR -> EWR, bag was lost both directions. Recovered to me 4 days into my trip in Germany (found 1-2 days prior, delays due to LH attendant providing wrong information/delivery to wrong hotel); recovered to me 28 days after return home. As far as I'm aware covered under Montreal.

First Premier Baggage Desk already alluded to discussing delay compensation following receipt (that was long ago/early into the process). I submitted a follow-on and received $200 voucher.

Curious what others have experienced/obtain for longer delays. Also curious if I am entitled to claim the "No questions asked" lost bag under United policy or full SDR for lost bag due to the return delay being >21 days.

Last edited by MJD2187; Jan 22, 2018 at 11:34 pm
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Who operated the flights? The last flight operated is responsible for the lost bag regardless of who ticketed the flight.

So you were aware the bag was "found" but they were unable to get the bag to you before returning home?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, RR, IHG, HH, MP, National EX
Outbound: UA (EWR->FCO), LH (FCO->FRA)
Return: LH (STR->MUC), UA (MUC->EWR)

Sorry for the confusion - two separate events.
The bag went missing on the way over and returned to me while still in Germany.
The bag went missing AGAIN on the way back and was returned to me 28 days after the return flights (19 Dec, found/sent back from Germany 15 Jan, delivered 17 Jan)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MJD2187
Curious what others have experienced/obtain for longer delays. Also curious if I am entitled to claim the "No questions asked" lost bag under United policy or full SDR for lost bag due to the return delay being >21 days.
Let's separate both ways:

Outbound: UA (EWR->FCO), LH (FCO->FRA)
The responsible party is LH.

You should be entitled for the lower of your incidental purchase (with proof) or daily incidental (if provided by the airlines).

Return: LH (STR->MUC), UA (MUC->EWR)
The responsible party is UA.

You should be entitled for the entire 1K SDR.

The real question is will LH/UA pay that.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:18 pm

On 1/12/18 my DH and I flew GEG-DEN-MIA. Out of the two checked bags, DH's bag was not on the carrousel. We immediately went and filed at the counter. Agent told us that his bag was in HOU and would be on the first flight in the AM, by 0900. Was given the paperwork and began the constant checking of the website and phone. Asked about getting a voucher or amenities as my DH did not have any clothes or essentials and part of my clothes were in his bag. Agent said I would have to submit a claim to United, they didn't handle that there. He mentioned something about fifty dollars?? We went and picked up a few items to get us through a day or two.

The entire time he is stressing out wondering how is he going to have enough clothes for the cruise. He is ready to say let's just go home. Noon the next day came and went. On the morning of the 14th we were to get on a 14 day Panama Canal Cruise. Finally, just before we were to get on the ship, his bag arrived. The findmybag website is a joke. Tracking your bag is a joke. I watched and reloaded my phone for hours seeing the location of the driver wondering if it would show up. When we told the agent at our hotel about DH not having the bag, he laughed and said it probably fell off the luggage trolley and sat on the tarmac for hours. When we did finally get the bag (keep in mind this is a brand new, never been used before bag) it has a smashed in corner. I was not able to drive back to the MIA airport and report the damage.
So I have downloaded the form and will submit for expenses. We also have trip insurance, but they said to submit to United first as they are secondary coverage. The frustrating thing is that after trip last year on the way home, one of our bags went to HNL. I just don't understand how when a bag is properly tagged it ends up in a place that has no connection to where it has to go. I guess hotel agent was correct? It would be interesting to be able to stand on a tarmac and see how many bags do fall off and how long it takes for anyone to take action.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by familyoutdoors
On 1/12/18 my DH and I flew GEG-DEN-MIA. Out of the two checked bags, DH's bag was not on the carrousel. ... ...
Sorry to hear your troubles, fortunately you had enough ground time prior to your cruise.
Originally Posted by familyoutdoors
It would be interesting to be able to stand on a tarmac and see how many bags do fall off and how long it takes for anyone to take action.
Roughly 2 per 1,000 passengers report bag issues. UA is in the middle of the pack of domestic operaters (range between 1 to 3 per 1000).

AIR TRAVEL CONSUMER REPORT covering Nov 2017 page 31
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:02 pm

Need some advice - 4x Checked bags delayed.

Good evening experts, I would like to see if you could provide some insights of what would happen to my checked bags and how to proceed with the compensation.

Situation:
HKG-SFO-ORD-YYZ (Jan 28)

Rebooked:
HKG-SFO-ORD(Overnight) then next day to BUF.(Jan 29)

1. Got a call next day from YYZ asking what to do with the bags. I replied I would like them to be transferred. However, I said I couldn't get to baggage office immediately because I had to fly out to Seattle immediately after the rebooked flights were completed. YYZ held the bags until Jan 31. After finishing my trip, I went to create the claim on Jan 31.
2. Bags still delayed. Three of them on the way to BUF tonight, and would be delivered to my address around ROC, hopefully by tomorrow.
3. Central baggage agents tried to argue I didn't immediately create the file reference on Jan 29 and I waited until Feb 1 to do it. I said that's BS as I called Central Baggage service and was told to wait until Jan 31 to file. Also, I had the paper specifically saying the claim was filed on Jan 31, so it's definitely a lie for the agent to say Feb 1.

Questions:
1. Would I jeopardize the loss of interim expenses due to the fact that I reported the baggage missing on Jan 31 at the Baggage Service office?

Based on the UA website, For flights within or between the U.S., Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, delayed baggage should be reported to the airport Baggage Service Office immediately after the arrival of your flight, or by calling our Baggage Service Center at 1-800-335-2247 within 24 hours of your flight arrival.

For international flights, delayed baggage should be reported to the airport Baggage Service Office immediately after the arrival of your flight, or in writing within seven days of your flight arrival.

2. For compensations, would it be considered as Montreal Convention for HKG-Canada/US itineraries?

Any inputs will be deeply appreciated.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
1. Would I jeopardize the loss of interim expenses due to the fact that I reported the baggage missing on Jan 31 at the Baggage Service office?
What is the reason of rebooking?

2. For compensations, would it be considered as Montreal Convention for HKG-Canada/US itineraries?
Montreal. It is based on the entire ticket, not flight segment.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
What is the reason of rebooking?
VDB, but the gate agent assured me they would take care of the retagging of the bags before I agreed.

Originally Posted by garykung
Montreal. It is based on the entire ticket, not flight segment.
Just got the compensation for delayed baggage in eCertificates. Baggage was just delivered on Saturday, and there were missing items. I would have to write to 1K Customer Care again.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Feb 5, 2018 at 2:55 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got the compensation for delayed baggage in eCertificates. Baggage was just delivered on Saturday, and there were missing items. I would have to write to 1K Customer Care again.
Contact Baggage Claim. It is not an issue with 1K Desk.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Recent experience at ORD baggage claim following SLC-ORD evening flight. After 40 minutes all normal bags were delivered but the flight's ~8 skis were nowhere to be found. Agents contacted the ramp to commence a search for a baggage cart full of skis.

Baggage agents (very wise) insisted on scheduling delivery as 'usually bags appear just as the late bag delivery request is entered'. They were training someone new and took her through the process of entering a delivery request. Trainee and I were informed that 1K's are to get rush delivery of bags. Nice perk -- can anyone confirm it's real?

BTW the agents were right about good bag juju -- as soon as the order for rush delivery to my home was placed, the skis were located and delivered to baggage claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.