Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tandrsmom
....I know there is a Baggage Resolution number on the website but I have not called that one yet. ...
You should be dealing with the bag people and not regular reservation agents. Also see this thread's wiki for more.

Originally Posted by tandrsmom
...My question is how do I escalate this if I have to, and what can I realistically expect in compensation for my time plus items that had to be purchased?
For your time -- no
For your qualifying out of pocket expenses -- yes, best (but not required) to get pre-approval from the bag phone folks.

Truly lost bags are rare and most are recovered in a few days.
Mishandle / delayed bags roughly 2 per 1,000 passengers and truly lost bags is about 1% of those.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 22, 2017 at 9:16 am Reason: rates
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Flew 7/15 out of IAH with the wife and daughter for the start of our beach vacation. Arrived at the airport at 1 p.m for our 5 p.m. flight (1st of 2 segments), which ended up being canceled due to weather. UA proactively rebooked us for last direct flight of the day which ended up getting out after 10 p.m.. Not sure why, but 5 of our 9 bags did not land with us. Filed the lost bag report at the airport and eventually had our baggage reunited with us 18 hours later.

When I called the baggage line, we were verbally OK'd for $100 per person. Went to the mall & bought $300 for new swimwear for each of us and 1 outfit. Also went to the Walmart and purchased another $300 in beach towels, and toiletries. Will be stacking our Chase Sapphire insurance ($100 per person per day)on top of the UA $300 for the reimbursement of expenses, so should be made whole on that side.

My question is it realistic to expect a goodwill gesture (ETC voucher) for the inconvenience and will it be proactively offered, or should I request it through the customer appreciation channels?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Just sent an email to the address listed on the claims form "[email protected]" and it was returned as undeliverable...mailbox full.

My question - I'm not sure how to fill out the form. My luggage was delayed into China by about 75 hours, and I had to purchase clothing & toiletries in the interim. The "claim form" on page 3 seems to be for lost items - detailed descriptions, where & when originally purchased, etc. I want to make sure that I'm supposed to fill in the new items I bought in the interim, not the items that were delayed in my suitcase. I don't think they care that I bought socks at Kohl's 3 years ago for $2 a pair - I'm hoping to be reimbursed for the socks I bought at Gap in China for $8 a pair last week (it's tough to find size 13 socks...).

So, am I writing newly purchased items or original delayed items?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vegascraig
So, am I writing newly purchased items or original delayed items?
When I had a delayed luggage issue a couple of years ago, I struggled with the same language on the form, decided that, in this case, they couldn't possibly mean anything besides "list the items that were purchased due to the delay." I filled it out accordingly, sent it in with receipts, and got a check in the mail for the full amount.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
When I had a delayed luggage issue a couple of years ago, I struggled with the same language on the form, decided that, in this case, they couldn't possibly mean anything besides "list the items that were purchased due to the delay." I filled it out accordingly, sent it in with receipts, and got a check in the mail for the full amount.
Perfect! Thank you!

That was my assumption, but it's written so oddly...
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vegascraig
Perfect! Thank you!

That was my assumption, but it's written so oddly...
Happy to help. :-) I agree; it's a very strange form.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:49 pm

How long does it generally take?

I’m the person from the last few posts.

I mailed in my claim forms and receipts on September 19, and haven’t heard anything back yet. If UA denies my claim, I can file with Citi Prestige, but I need to show them that UA offered me nothing first.

How is long does it normally take to get a response from United? Should I contact them now or just wait a little longer?

Thank you!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Baggage delay and missing items

I flew two weeks ago with United SIN-SFO-EWR-LIM. I got a long layover (14 hours) in SFO. After I passed the customs in SFO, I just dropped my luggage in the transit belt. I didn't see again my luggage until LIM.

I was surprised that my luggage didn't arrive even that I had a couple of hours in EWR.

Finally my luggage arrived two days later and after the luggage was delivered in my place I could recognize that some item were missed, because I felt a little bit lighter. I checked as soon as I got it and there were some item missing (camera lens and filter kit, Polaris amenity kit).

I already sent two claims to united because the delay and the item missing. But I didn't receive any reply, yet. I am a MP 1k and after flying with United for some years, it's the first time that I have this kind of incident.

Do you have any experience with United to get a reimburse?

Last edited by albertopgc; Nov 12, 2017 at 1:25 am
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by albertopgc
I flew two weeks ago with United SIN-SFO-EWR-LIM. I got a long layover (14 hours) in SFO. After I passed the customs in SFO, I just dropped my luggage in the transit belt. I didn't see again my luggage until LIM.

I was surprised that my luggage didn't arrive even that I had a couple of hours in EWR.

Finally my luggage arrived two days later and after the luggage was delivered in my place I could recognize that some item were missed, because I felt a little bit lighter. I checked as soon as I got it and there were some item missing (camera lens and filter kit, Polaris amenity kit).

I already sent two claims to united because the delay and the item missing. But I didn't receive any reply, yet. I am a MP 1k and after flying with United for some years, it's the first time that I have this kind of incident.

Did you contact 1K Customer Service (or baggage services)? If Baggage Service I would contact 1K Customer Service (they will route the query to the appropriate parties) Good luck and let us know how it turns out.. In the past they had a 1K Luggage desk that did wonders for me
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by albertopgc
[...]
Be aware that unfourtunately you're likely out of luck with the camera lens and if you have other insurance you may want to pursue a claim via that avenue... UA's contract of carriage (Rule 28(K)(3) to be specific) specifically disclaims liability:

3.EXCLUSIONS: UA shall not be liable for the loss of, damage to or delay in delivery of any of the following:
[...]
g.Computer hardware/software and electronic components/equipment;
[...]
j.Electronic and mechanical items, including cell phones, electronic games, and other related items;
x.Photographic/cinematographic/audio/video equipment, cameras and related items;
(I've actually come close to an argument with UA re: not parting with my "excluded" items unless someone was willing to give me a waiver of that provision in writing... otherwise me and the item were going in the cabin or not going at all. -- one of the few times the CoC can be used against UA)
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Did you contact 1K Customer Service (or baggage services)? If Baggage Service I would contact 1K Customer Service (they will route the query to the appropriate parties) Good luck and let us know how it turns out.. In the past they had a 1K Luggage desk that did wonders for me
Yes, I contacted again the baggage service in 1k. They said the process of claim takes 6-8 weeks. They suggested me to wait at least a month to get a reply. My claim appears as processing.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Be aware that unfourtunately you're likely out of luck with the camera lens and if you have other insurance you may want to pursue a claim via that avenue... UA's contract of carriage (Rule 28(K)(3) to be specific) specifically disclaims liability:

(I've actually come close to an argument with UA re: not parting with my "excluded" items unless someone was willing to give me a waiver of that provision in writing... otherwise me and the item were going in the cabin or not going at all. -- one of the few times the CoC can be used against UA)

I didn't know that. I dont have an insurance for that lens. I have my carry-on full that was the reason why I putted it on my luggage. I always try to bring with me my camera equipment.

I just spoke with the baggage service, they said my claim was received and now is processing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 12, 2017 at 10:02 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Unbeknownst to me, a second cousin with the same surname was on my Transpac flight to LAX, but I was continuing on to IAH and he went to EWR. We met on board. After years of telling people to check tags, I only glanced from afar to see that there two destinations on the tag (ie it was tagged beyond LAX and had a priority tag.
When my bags didn't turn up at IAH I checked the tags and sure enough, they were attached to his PNR and tagged to EWR. UA delivered them next day by lunchtime and gave me one of their "new" Wonder Technologies vouchers for $100, which refunds automatically to my credit card when I purchase at selected merchants (seems reasonable), no receipts and no restrictions as far as I can tell. Plenty of merchants including Macys and Walmart.
Obviously since I was checked in already, when I dropped the bags off the agent just typed my sirname and hit enter, instead of opening the correct PNR.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Unbeknownst to me, a second cousin with the same surname was on my Transpac flight to LAX, but I was continuing on to IAH and he went to EWR. We met on board. After years of telling people to check tags, I only glanced from afar to see that there two destinations on the tag (ie it was tagged beyond LAX and had a priority tag.
When my bags didn't turn up at IAH I checked the tags and sure enough, they were attached to his PNR and tagged to EWR. UA delivered them next day by lunchtime and gave me one of their "new" Wonder Technologies vouchers for $100, which refunds automatically to my credit card when I purchase at selected merchants (seems reasonable), no receipts and no restrictions as far as I can tell. Plenty of merchants including Macys and Walmart.
Obviously since I was checked in already, when I dropped the bags off the agent just typed my sirname and hit enter, instead of opening the correct PNR.

sorry to hear however I'm curious to know what the voucher was for. Was it for you to buy replacement items until your bag came? Glad they found the bag quickly and delivered the next day. Thanks and safe travels
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
The voucher is electronic, and can be used for anything. I don't think there is any way for UA or Wonder Technologies to know what you buy. When you are given the voucher you get email. From the website link you connect/link a credit card to the voucher. When that credit card is used at one or more of the listed vendors (including CVS, Macy's, Walmart etc) you receive email that your credit card will receive a credit within 10 days. One or more purchases can be used on the voucher until you have spent the allowed amount. It worked well. There doesn't seem to be any time restrictions on it. The lady at the baggage desk told me it is a new program, not requiring receipts or claim forms.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Luggage sent - wrong city & wrong PAX

I am a 1K MM not prone to writing 1K voice or complaining but we arrived at LNY today from LAX. Two of our suitcases were sent instead to Chicago (nice city but we aren't from there) and tagged to someone who isn't us. Our boarding passes have our names on them but two of the five checked suitcases were sent under someone else's name (a family member we weren't with at all today who was on the Chicago flight). What would you ask for, assuming they find the bags and get them here eventually?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.