Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by phbl
...Wednesday: no bags, and I have a meeting with the boss/client in the evening who insists I go on a run with him both Wednesday night and Thursday am. I bum clothing off people but cannot for running shoes, and I dunno of anywhere that rents shoes (Westin?). I purchase running shoes that cost $100usd. I call agent just now (Thursday AM) who says the file has been marked closed, bags are subject to delivery, and she very politely says the shoes are not a reasonable expense; maybe if they were steel toed boots I need for work but running shoes naw. She said it would be more favourable to buy a crappy $60 pair. I tell her in Canada $100usd is equivalent to a 70-90 pair in the usa and there's ice everywhere so I bought up for the treads and warmth, plus that I came here with a briefcase only. Also I have freakishly narrow feet and only Nike fits properly. She says she'll put it in the notes that it's a business expense, and kinda phrased everything in a "I'll write the notes favourably for you but this is up to claims and I dunno you're kinda cutting it close here" kinda way. However she didn't specifically say I was cleared to $204usd. ....
Did you have running shoes in your bag? If you had shoes with the anticipation of using them, then I would press UA on this.
If you had not packed shoes, then the baggage issue does not come into play, IMO.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you have running shoes in your bag? If you had shoes with the anticipation of using them, then I would press UA on this.
If you had not packed shoes, then the baggage issue does not come into play, IMO.
travelled with a briefcase carry on only and i made it clear running shoes were in my luggage and i needed them for a meeting. i was borrowing workout gear (it's extremely cold here) and was cleared for $220usd in clothing/sundry/etc. if i didn't need the shoes or if i had them i wouldn't claim them.

received bags 4 days later. called in, $220 usd confirmed and $175 travel voucher (i'm a ua platinum).

faxing my claim during the annual day of sloth tomorrow. how long yall reckon for this claim to be processed?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:15 pm

UA lost my bag, says it had "no name"

I have had my bags delayed before, but this is more concerning....

I was flying with 2 bags...one bag made it to my destination, one did not.

When I asked the UA baggage rep to help locate my bag (while still in baggage claim) she told me my bag was still in EWR (where I had picked up a connection) and it had not been loaded onto the plane or it was offloaded from the plane because "I was not on the plane" - which was ridiculous, because I WAS on the plane, and so was my other bag.

Anyway, she also mentioned that the bag, when she punched in my baggage claim stub number, had "no name" associated with it.

How can that be?

She re-input my name to the tag number details...

She hypothesized the bag had somehow lost the tag...but that does not make any sense because otherwise they would not know the bag was still in EWR...would they?

Anyway, this was all 10 hours ago... I called the UA helpline for lost bags and the message I got was a recorded one that said something to the effect of "we are still trying to locate your bag."

I am finding this incredibly disconcerting. I get it if the bag missed the plane... or they accidentally off loaded it (I do know there were some misconnects on the flight and they pulled a few bags....)

But how can they not know where my bag is? They have always at least been able to locate the bag and send it on when this has happened before.

Any pro tips on getting it back?

Presumably, it's somewhere in EWR....
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Was it a horse?

Sounds like they are simply dancing. They're not sure where your bag is. They are offering you standard explanations of what happens to bags, but they're not really sure.

If a bag is truly missing then 10 hours is nothing. It might take a couple of days to locate.

You are entitled to some compensation to purchase replacement clothing or whatever. "Entitled" probably isn't a good word because the airlines will pretty much never call it that. If they do it begins to imply an entitlement they becomes enforceable against them.

I think the rule for calling a bag "lost" is 3 days. And given the current chaos with cancelled flights because of weather it might take that long.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You are entitled to some compensation to purchase replacement clothing or whatever. "Entitled" probably isn't a good word because the airlines will pretty much never call it that. If they do it begins to imply an entitlement they becomes enforceable against them.
Reimbursement for interim clothing and toiletries is not compensation. It's a reimbursement of necessary interim expenses since the airline delayed your bag.

Compensation (or better yet, a goodwill gesture) is something the airline may provide you (typically mileage or vouchers) for inconveniencing you as a result of their mishandling of your property.

As for locating the bag, never trust anything UA says about it. They're completely clueless and make stuff up to get you off the phone. The next agent may give you information that conflicts with what a previous agent says which will just frustrate you. I've had my bag in my hand for 2 days before, with UA calling me giving me updates telling me it's in Chicago. I've had my bag fly across the country, with a connection, and never been scanned once, while UA is doing a search for a "tag-off" bag that lost its tag (it didn't). Yes, it's that bad.

The bag will show up when it shows up. There's almost nothing you can do to expedite it. Buy what you need an save the receipts, and enjoy your trip.

Good luck!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

I think the rule for calling a bag "lost" is 3 days. And given the current chaos with cancelled flights because of weather it might take that long.
OP didn't include any information that I saw to know whether or not replacement clothing, toiletries, etc. would be allowed.

Believe bag needs to be delayed for 24 hours first (OP says this was 10 hours, and based on my view, that was only 2 hours ago) and unless things have changed for the better (very doubtful), if bags went missing on a flight home, UA (or other carriers) typically won't reimburse for those items even if delayed for over 24 hours.

Compensation, of course, is a different issue. After the bag is received, can certainly write in to request something.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Heaven forbid anyone even suggests that UA lies to its customers about lost bags or anything.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ultimately a lot will depend on whether this was an international or domestic flight (or a connection from one). But, at the moment, it is not particularly relevant.

What the agent said does make some sense and the UA-haters here sometimes have to froth a bit no matter what the issue is. But, the ultimate point is that nothing is going to expedite your bag and nobody is looking for it and that is pretty much true of all carriers.

The key is that you have provided UA all relevant information, including good delivery information and good contact information. That is all ultimately entered in WorldTracer and when someone finds the bag, they will enter the tag into WT and find that it belongs to you and head it your way (hence the reason for keeping UA and thus WT up-to-date if you change locations).

For an international journey, a bag is considered lost at 21 days even if it is lost.

You can expect to be reimbursed for reasonable necessary expenses. But, as a rule of thumb I would not spend anything that you would not spend if you were not being reimbursed as you may not be. As a practical matter, consider that generous carry-on allowances will get most people through the first 3-4 days at least, so hopefully this isn't an issue for most.

Few bags are ultimately lost unless they are stolen or destroyed. So, chances are yours will turn up.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, Marriott TE, National EE, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
I feel for you mate. I just went through this. QF lost my bags on a flight from BNE to SYD and it missed getting onto the following international United flight from SYD to LAX. United was responsible to track it down as they were the last leg. Dealing with the lost baggage team will be frustrating and lengthy. you will need patience, it could take many days, there is not much urgency in that team cause honestly they are just overwhelmed, you'd be surprised how much stuff gets lost checked in or even in cabin. you can wait on hold for up to 90 mins to get a rep, most will not really do anything, some rare ones do. Status will not help you, i'm GS and the GS line just routed me to the lost baggage department. Best advice is to go to the physical department near the baggage claim at the last leg of your trip, and give them all the info you can including description of the bag, etc.

good luck.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs
Best advice is to go to the physical department near the baggage claim at the last leg of your trip, and give them all the info you can including description of the bag, etc.

good luck.
+1. Cannot stress this enough. Always save baggage tag receipts and go to the baggage handling office at your destination. They always know how to deal with lost baggage whereas calling into a phone number whether or not if it is a dedicated line or not, has always produced the runaround for me.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
OP didn't include any information that I saw to know whether or not replacement clothing, toiletries, etc. would be allowed.

Believe bag needs to be delayed for 24 hours first (OP says this was 10 hours, and based on my view, that was only 2 hours ago) and unless things have changed for the better (very doubtful), if bags went missing on a flight home, UA (or other carriers) typically won't reimburse for those items even if delayed for over 24 hours.

Compensation, of course, is a different issue. After the bag is received, can certainly write in to request something.

You don't need a 24 hour delay to get interim expenses compensated. So long as the expenses are necessary and reasonable, they are generally approved.

As for delayed bags on the way home, you can still have necessary expenses. Again, they must be reasonable and make sense. DOT prohibits the airlines for refusing reimbursement for expenses occurred at home.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Roar
She hypothesized the bag had somehow lost the tag...but that does not make any sense because otherwise they would not know the bag was still in EWR...would they?
Of course they would have! They know where it is based on where it was last scanned. It was scanned in EWR when you connected there. If there's no further scans (such as it being put onto an aircraft out of EWR), then their presumption is that it's still in EWR, which will be right probably 99.9% of the time.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
I can relate to your frustration. UA lost my bag last month during a connection in Houston. At least they were honest. I was told that the bag made it to Houston, and was last scanned in Houston. They then mentioned that they had looked "everywhere" for it, and simply couldn't find it. Repeated that admission twice a day for two days. I almost wish they had lied??

Three days later it showed up in Damman, KSA which was my final destination. Lufthansa was my final carrier so they got stuck with the claim. LH was very good at reimbursing me for extra clothes. I was a cheap date; only about $150.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,
HELP!! Ski bags delayed

Any help is appreciated. On a bachelor party and arrived in Denver with three ski bags missing. Unhelpful agent claims they randomly take bags off the plane as needed but they picked three priority tagged bags in the same party.

They have offered $75 dollars per person to rent skis which is reasonable but the ski clothes were also packed in those bags. They are offering zero compensation for the fact that we cannot ski without them or that lift tickets have been paid for in advance and are now effectively worthless.

I spent an hour waiting on hold to be told that there are no supervisors working because it is midnight in Houston.

For what hat it is worth I am premier platinum and we were on paid first class tickets.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: United Platinum
Here in Cali they rent ski clothes - maybe call around and see if you can rent the basics? Just trying to save your ski week... good luck with United - is there an ETA On the bags?

Originally Posted by wb233629
Any help is appreciated. On a bachelor party and arrived in Denver with three ski bags missing. Unhelpful agent claims they randomly take bags off the plane as needed but they picked three priority tagged bags in the same party.

They have offered $75 dollars per person to rent skis which is reasonable but the ski clothes were also packed in those bags. They are offering zero compensation for the fact that we cannot ski without them or that lift tickets have been paid for in advance and are now effectively worthless.

I spent an hour waiting on hold to be told that there are no supervisors working because it is midnight in Houston.

For what hat it is worth I am premier platinum and we were on paid first class tickets.

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.