Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2021, 2:20 am

We won't be home for almost a week and home is in England. Will United hold on to the bag for that long and then deliver it overseas? I really don't want to spend my vacation time shopping, but I currently have one spare top so would be looking at doing laundry every day given how hot it is...
Old Sep 22, 2021, 2:38 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rbgs
We won't be home for almost a week and home is in England. Will United hold on to the bag for that long and then deliver it overseas? I really don't want to spend my vacation time shopping, but I currently have one spare top so would be looking at doing laundry every day given how hot it is...
United is unlikely to deliver to a foreign country if this is a standalone ticket -- if it's a portion of a larger international ticket possibly.

In 32 years of flying UA I've had many delayed (vs. lost) bags. Usually it's resolved within 12 hours. Once, during a January snow storm it took 3 days. Never completely lost. I'd be a bit surprised if on a single-segment hub-to-hub flight it didn't show up. You can have UA reroute to another airport more convenient to your road trip and hold at the airport for you to pick up. Otherwise if you give United a residential address their delivery contractor will usually leave the bag so you don't have to wait around for it.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 8:29 pm

An update: bag delivered to our AirBnB about 16 hours after our plane landed. Very relieved to have it back and no actual expenses incurred during its absence, just stress.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
An update: bag delivered to our AirBnB about 16 hours after our plane landed. Very relieved to have it back and no actual expenses incurred during its absence, just stress.
Nice to hear you had a good resolution. I would still ride into Customer Service and let them know if the issue. They will probably throw you some form of goodwill gesture
Old Sep 22, 2021, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by rflor
Yah, I submitted on Saturday 9/11 as soon as their automated system prompted me. I will keep the board posted on how the claim goes.
We submitted a claim a month ago and still waiting (still showing Received status).. no updates at all.. bag was delivered 9 days late.. They said 6-8 weeks.. so we'll see
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you get the $1,500??
Update on my lost bag situation from earlier in the month (see upthread for history)...

I received the $1,500 compensation today, 6 weeks after submitting my claim and 5 weeks after the bag resurfaced. A United baggage rep called me 3 weeks ago to confirm the claim and amount, after which I heard nothing until the check showed up today.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rflor
I received the $1,500 compensation today, 6 weeks after submitting my claim and 5 weeks after the bag resurfaced. A United baggage rep called me 3 weeks ago to confirm the claim and amount, after which I heard nothing until the check showed up today.
Gald to hear UA did (albeit slow) fullied their commitment.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:28 am

I'll share my update too (forgot to do it earlier).. a few days ago United sent an SMS (only) saying they see the bag was delivered and they are closing the claim.. that's it.. (bag was delivered 9 days late).. no comp was offered...
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MAJIC9
I'll share my update too (forgot to do it earlier).. a few days ago United sent an SMS (only) saying they see the bag was delivered and they are closing the claim.. that's it.. (bag was delivered 9 days late).. no comp was offered...
Did you make the $1,500 claim? If so, pushback., it does not matter the bags were returned if it was more than 5 days.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:52 am

Yeah I need to have wife call them back.. (it was her bag).. the whole experience was just bizarre.. we made the claim no one ever contacted us.. other than "we're closing the ticket..." and that was after 7 weeks or so..
Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:44 am

This is turning into an endless source of entertainment.. except my wife doesn't think it's funny at all.. She called..and was told:

- Would a $250 voucher be enough? [No] ... ok, how about $300 voucher then?
- We don't give out "cash" ever.. only vouchers
- [and my favorite] You're not entitled to $1500 comp because we knew where the bag was the whole time!! It was in the system the whole time.. just delayed, not lost.. system never lost track of it.. We only give $1500 to those who never get their bag back.. and you got yours so no comp for you..

She will try calling again,.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Is such behavior by UA an appropriate subject of a DOT complaint?

If so, your wife should keep good contemporaneous notes or records of what happens and who says what to her, to include as an exhibit to the complaint.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I am mostly an AA flyer, but a friend lost his bag (meaning UA lost it) from Watertown SD-DEN-MCI last Friday. (Don't ask why he didn't drive; I did and got an earful). Apparently multiple peeps on the inbound MCI flight had lost luggage. Connections were tight at DEN on Friday the 3d.

So he has been living in the same shirt for several days, and today finally he spoke with a human at UA. They didn't mention the five day rule, and said they would mail him a check for $1000 to South Dakota in two weeks.

Is the "negotiation" always individualized -- some peeps get 1500, others get less? As long as he knows a check will be there, he will go shopping here in KC, but I told him to wait at least until five days have expired. Would UA back away from their "deal" if they find his bag, say, after seven days? That would suck, as then he would have spent money here on duplicate clothes.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
I am mostly an AA flyer, but a friend lost his bag (meaning UA lost it) from Watertown SD-DEN-MCI last Friday. (Don't ask why he didn't drive; I did and got an earful). Apparently multiple peeps on the inbound MCI flight had lost luggage. Connections were tight at DEN on Friday the 3d.

So he has been living in the same shirt for several days, and today finally he spoke with a human at UA. They didn't mention the five day rule, and said they would mail him a check for $1000 to South Dakota in two weeks.

Is the "negotiation" always individualized -- some peeps get 1500, others get less? As long as he knows a check will be there, he will go shopping here in KC, but I told him to wait at least until five days have expired. Would UA back away from their "deal" if they find his bag, say, after seven days? That would suck, as then he would have spent money here on duplicate clothes.
The five days = $1,500 w/o documentation rule (which is a United policy, not a law) is right on the Untied website:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/delayed.aspx

"If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation."

The requirement for airlines to cover interim expenses, up to a cap of $3,500 for domestic and ~$1,500 for international, is covered by law and is not a "negotiation":

https://www.transportation.gov/lost-...amaged-baggage

"What are airlines’ responsibilities when your bag is delayed?
  • Airlines are required to compensate passengers for reasonable, verifiable, and actual incidental expenses that they may incur while their bags are delayed - subject to the maximum liability limits.
  • Airlines are not allowed to set an arbitrary daily amount for interim expenses. For example, an airline cannot have a policy that they will reimburse a passenger up to only $50 for each day that a passenger’s bag is delayed."
Your friend should definitely buy a new shirt! He should keep his receipts -- if over 5 days, he shouldn't need them, but if under 5 days he will need them.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by fastflyer

Originally Posted by threeoh
The five days = $1,500 w/o documentation rule (which is a United policy, not a law) is right on the Untied website:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/delayed.aspx

"If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation."

The requirement for airlines to cover interim expenses, up to a cap of $3,500 for domestic and ~$1,500 for international, is covered by law and is not a "negotiation":

https://www.transportation.gov/lost-...amaged-baggage

"What are airlines’ responsibilities when your bag is delayed?
  • Airlines are required to compensate passengers for reasonable, verifiable, and actual incidental expenses that they may incur while their bags are delayed - subject to the maximum liability limits.
  • Airlines are not allowed to set an arbitrary daily amount for interim expenses. For example, an airline cannot have a policy that they will reimburse a passenger up to only $50 for each day that a passenger’s bag is delayed."
Your friend should definitely buy a new shirt! He should keep his receipts -- if over 5 days, he shouldn't need them, but if under 5 days he will need them.
Either way, your friend should not lose their shirt over this lost baggage problem that UA has.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.