FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:44 am
Flying Machine

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by jsloan
The delivery address and initial definitely wouldn't. If they were looking for the wrong tag, I could see an argument, but probably not. I doubt that the DOT would look too fondly on this. "Sorry, because we were extra incompetent, we need more time to recover from our own mistakes."

No.

I don't think so, and no. Their responsibility doesn't end until they've reunited the passenger with their bag. As long as she has a valid claim check -- which it sounds like she does -- your son's GF Is protected. If the bag was stolen, it's still UA's responsibility for not checking IDs or claim checks at baggage claim. (Yes, I know that few airlines / airports do that these days, but that's because the airlines are taking a calculated risk: most people grab their own bags, and nobody likes having to stop and show their claim check).

Now, will UA try to get out of their responsibility anyway? Maybe, although most reports here are fairly positive about UA's response to baggage issues. If they do, though, she should file a DOT complaint. It takes less than 10 minutes and can be done entirely online. The DOT will follow up with UA, and, because the law is clearly on her side, it should be a fairly brief conversation, and then I expect UA CS will be in touch with her to make good.
It’s not all doom and gloom as you portray. Give it some time perhaps the bag will turn up.. Regardless siting DOT here is a bit aggressive in my opinion. In three days United owes you $1500 plain and simple per their rules.