Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: UGS, AA CK
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Sure there is! You were assigned seperate seats. What is the issue with just doing what you are told? That way you insure you are never the cause of some unintended consequence.
there is no rule that says you can’t ask to change seats. [deleted by moderator per rules]

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 28, 2018 at 2:32 pm Reason: Rule 12
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by staren937

there is no rule that says you can’t ask to change seats.
There is a seat assignment on your ticket.

When I go to the football game, or the opera, or the restaurant, I sit where they tell me. I don't go around asking to trade seats or tables.

It seems to me that when we are talking about an airplane and they really need everyone to take their seats so the plane can take off, the argument for doing what you are told is even stronger.

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm Reason: Deleted comment from quote
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Yea. This doesn’t hold water with me.

you can ask. People can say no. I often ask BEFORE boarding and have the tickets changed. So no rush to take seats.

you have right to say no. I have right to ask

no one has right to be a jerk either way
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Life generally works better when people just follow the rules
Mr. Karrass would argue that In Business As in Life, You Don't Get What You Deserve, You Get What You Negotiate
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by narvik
Mr. Karrass would argue that In Business As in Life, You Don't Get What You Deserve, You Get What You Negotiate
...or pay for!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?

When I go to the football game, or the opera, or the restaurant, I sit where they tell me. I don't go around asking to trade seats or tables.

It seems to me that when we are talking about an airplane and they really need everyone to take their seats so the plane can take off, the argument for doing what you are told is even stronger.
Generally I would agree with you, but when you buy a ticket to the football game, or opera, how often does this happen?

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:33 pm

I have asked, have been asked, and have offered unprompted to switch seats or tables in a restaurant, actually. (Though I also ask how many times you go to a restaurant with your spouse and are seated next to strangers instead of your spouse, or you are seated at a table next to a 6yo but his parents are at another table...seems like a bad analogy to me.)

Have never asked at the opera, but if I could offer a solo opera-goer an aisle seat 3 rows in front of their current aisle seat, in order to let me sit next to my date, you bet I would ask (politely). Also fine if they say no for any reason.

OT, but I was once at a soccer game and after having taken my cheap seat near the back of the section, a venue official came and told everyone to move to any open seat near the front because the ticket sales were light and they wanted the crowd to be closer and denser. I couldn't help but think "oh, they're having a W&B issue!"
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold

How often does your football game, opera, or restaurant split up parents with kids/couples who made reservations together or have to reseat everyone randomly because they had to change stadiums/theaters/locations (equipment)? [Unduly personalized text edited by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Feb 28, 2018 at 7:39 am Reason: Per Mod. note on p, 24, and FT Rule 12, let's discuss the topic, not the members in a personal way
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by threeoh
I have asked, have been asked, and have offered unprompted to switch seats or tables in a restaurant, actually. (Though I also ask how many times you go to a restaurant with your spouse and are seated next to strangers instead of your spouse, or you are seated at a table next to a 6yo but his parents are at another table...seems like a bad analogy to me.)

Have never asked at the opera, but if I could offer a solo opera-goer an aisle seat 3 rows in front of their current aisle seat, in order to let me sit next to my date, you bet I would ask (politely). Also fine if they say no for any reason.

OT, but I was once at a soccer game and after having taken my cheap seat near the back of the section, a venue official came and told everyone to move to any open seat near the front because the ticket sales were light and they wanted the crowd to be closer and denser. I couldn't help but think "oh, they're having a W&B issue!"
I agree the analogy is ridiculous, and like you, I've asked to, or been asked to change tables at restaurants, and at the opera, symphony or sporting event, I have asked for seat changes for different reasons, and if something else was open, my request was accommodated. Again, there is nothing wrong with asking, but there is something wrong with:

1. plunking oneself into a different seat before that seat owner arrives
2. making a scene, tantrum or threats when someone refuses to change seats
3. GS members calling reservations and throwing tantrums until the agent removes another passenger from their "favorite seat" and assigning it to them, or doing so on board
4. asking for a change by offering a similar or better seat by concealing the fact the seat being exchanged is actually far worse
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: DL PM
I would be very much in favor of airlines selling a block of three reserved seats to parents for an additional charge. That would be perfect for people who require this.

But as long as ONE parent is with the child, I don't see why people have to move around to get the second parent into the row.
Yeah, I didn’t say I thought people have to move around. I said the reason for the ask may have less to do with marriage and more to do with four arms vs. two with a 3-year-old. People seem to jump to the conclusion that the reason for the ask was all about couples not being able to bear a few hours of separation. I said if it were me, it wouldn’t be that at all. It would be having someone to hold my tomato juice while I help the kid unwrap his sandwich.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:36 am

Your comments make no sense [deleted by moderator per rules].

At a restaurant you reserve a table, and I have definitely asked to be switched to other tables and been accommodated.

At sporting events there is also no rule that prevents you from switching seats. I have 2 tickets in the first row and 2 in the second at wrigley. I have often asked people to switch and take the first row tickets so 4 of us could sit together in the 2nd row. and guess what - most people say yes, and the world has not ended nor have any games been cancelled because of that.

Finally, those tickets don't stipulate that, "Seat assignments, regardless of the fare class you purchased, are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice due to a schedule change, equipment change or other unforeseen circumstances." To a point raised last night, you get what you negotiate or pay for. I can ask on the plane about switching if needed. Or can speak with GS beforehand and your "assigned" seats you assiduously guard will likely go poof due to "unforeseen circumstances".

But feel free to follow your self-imposed rules.

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 28, 2018 at 2:35 pm Reason: Rule 12
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I can only think of a couple of times when I've been asked or was witness to a seat swap request. I think the fact that 90% of my flights are red-eyes or very early morning flights might have something to do with that, no one cares who they sit next to if everyone is sleeping
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:35 am
Suspended

there is no rule that says you can’t ask to change seats.
There is no rule that says you can't ask someone for spare change so you can get drunk. There is no rule you can't approach someone in a theater with box seats and ask for it because you hate your nosebleed seats.

There doesn't have to be a rule to make it rude, an imposition, and an annoyance.

Originally Posted by jp12687
luck of the draw-- i didnt complain when a passenger with the worst BO i ever smelled sat next to me last week. I have sent next to plenty of COS in the past. I think UA needs to better define and enforce their rules-- but thats not on me to decide. if the passenger booked one seat and agrees to move i have no recourse. If the passenger should have 2 seats-- thats on UA to make sure he has booked 2 seats and would then not be able to move into a single seat.

I asked the GA the other day on my HNL-EWR flight if they could see if the person next to my wife wanted to swap (after UA kicked a bunch of people out of seat assignments)-- they called the person up and ended up being able to switch 3 people so 2 couples could sit together. Everyone was happy-- everyone got similar seats. People go tot sit with who they wanted to sit with.

I see nothing wrong with this-- if anyone said no then its a no-- but i can atleast ask.
Where was your respect for the "luck of the draw" when luck drew you seats away from your spouse?

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 28, 2018 at 2:41 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member/deleted comment from quote
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: united
Your comments make no sense.

At a restaurant you reserve a table, and I have definitely asked to be switched to other tables and been accommodated.

At sporting events there is also no rule that prevents you from switching seats. I have 2 tickets in the first row and 2 in the second at wrigley. I have often asked people to switch and take the first row tickets so 4 of us could sit together in the 2nd row. and guess what - most people say yes, and the world has not ended nor have any games been cancelled because of that.

Finally, those tickets don't stipulate that, "Seat assignments, regardless of the fare class you purchased, are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice due to a schedule change, equipment change or other unforeseen circumstances." To a point raised last night, you get what you negotiate or pay for. I can ask on the plane about switching if needed. Or can speak with GS beforehand and your "assigned" seats you assiduously guard will likely go poof due to "unforeseen circumstances".

But feel free to follow your self-imposed rules.
You guys must go to different operas and football games and restaurants than I do. I have NEVER been asked to move from a reserved seat in ANY place I can remember other than an airplane.

What do you guys do on buses and the subway? If there are 2 seats left on the bus and they are apart, do you try to get people to move around?

I think this is all extremely rude. And totally uncommon except on airplanes, where people seem to have a sense of entitlement which is incompatible with a confined space.

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 28, 2018 at 2:42 pm Reason: deleted comments from quote
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
There is no rule that says you can't ask someone for spare change so you can get drunk. There is no rule you can't approach someone in a theater with box seats and ask for it because you hate your nosebleed seats.

There doesn't have to be a rule to make it rude, an imposition, and an annoyance.

Your examples also make no sense. You can't compare anything you list with asking folks about a like-for-like seat exchange, which is what most people are discussing on this thread. I agree that the people trying to switch out of inferior seats should be shot down. But I have a hard time seeing why asking about a like for like or like for [the person asking's] superior seat is "rude, an imposition or an annoyance". You're free to say no when people ask but to say it's rude to ask is asinine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.