Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bearkatt
you have your aisle seat near the front of coach on a EWR to FRA flight. there is an empty seat next to you. just before the door closes, here comes a young couple with 2 small kids (non-revs, I suspect). they have boarding passes for 4 middle seats. they ask me to give up my aisle seat for a middle. I refused. what would you do? why couldn't the lazy gate agent fix this before hand?
If they're nonrevs, the rules probably (this is true of most airlines but I don't know for sure about UA specifically) say that they aren't allowed to ask revenue passengers to change seats with them.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
you have your aisle seat near the front of coach on a EWR to FRA flight. there is an empty seat next to you. just before the door closes, here comes a young couple with 2 small kids (non-revs, I suspect). they have boarding passes for 4 middle seats. they ask me to give up my aisle seat for a middle. I refused. what would you do? why couldn't the lazy gate agent fix this before hand?
Oh man....that's a tough one. I'd call FA over, tell him/her that I really want to help out this family and let them sit together. Is there ANYTHING they can do to help me find a window/aisle throughout the plane? There may not be, but I'd ask. Most will at least recognize you are trying to be magnanimous. If all else fails....I'd probably pick the best middle seat they have (small people on the side, etc) and bite it. My 7 hours of relative discomfort would be better than the guilt I'd feel of not allowing a small family to sit together.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
That’s not a “tough one” at all. Trading an aisle for a middle on a 7-hour flight is nuts.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
That’s not a “tough one” at all. Trading an aisle for a middle on a 7-hour flight is nuts.
Completely understand not wanting to do so- none of us would. To me, depends on how old the kids were. If we're talking under 10, I'd almost certainly do so- but not before exhausting my options with FA. I realize I'm in the minority here, and maybe its because it wasn't long ago I was in situations where I relied on the compassion of others on board planes.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:52 am
Suspended

Personally, I wouldn't have swapped anyhow, even if they hadn't had the gall to ask me to take a middle on a Trans Atlantic flight. However, if I suspected they were non-revs, I would not only have refused, I would have asked to see their BP's as if I was considering the switch, memorized the names, and reported them to the airline. Non-revs are forbidden from asking rev pax to move. They will lose their non-rev perk. And rightly so.

I think the reason the gate agent didn't fix it was because they were non-revs. The GA, if doing their job, shouldn't displace a rev pax for a non-rev.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:57 am
Suspended

Agreed. Absurd for non-revs to displace paying customers.

This was an even worse request if they were middles paired in the same row.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gold23
Oh man....that's a tough one. I'd call FA over, tell him/her that I really want to help out this family and let them sit together. Is there ANYTHING they can do to help me find a window/aisle throughout the plane? There may not be, but I'd ask. Most will at least recognize you are trying to be magnanimous. If all else fails....I'd probably pick the best middle seat they have (small people on the side, etc) and bite it. My 7 hours of relative discomfort would be better than the guilt I'd feel of not allowing a small family to sit together.
I would not feel any guilt.

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Totally agree.

Did you check the waitlist to see if there was a family of 4 that was waitlisted and then got assigned those seats at the last minute? I never used to do that but now I do check that list to try to recognize non-revs (it's easier when they are waitlisted for all the classes).

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If they're nonrevs, the rules probably (this is true of most airlines but I don't know for sure about UA specifically) say that they aren't allowed to ask revenue passengers to change seats with them.
It's good that you are reminding us of that rule.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:37 am

A family of four boarding last minute into middle seats is not necessarily NRSA anyhow, absent further evidence -- could be revenue standby after missing a connection, could be revenue non-standby after missing a connection and being told to run to Gate X because it's already boarding, could be revenue originating PAX who didn't pick seats, don't know how to check in online, and were late to the airport, could be a family of four making an emergency trip so bought walk-up tickets and only middles available...

Even if they are non-rev, it's kind of an unsustainable situation that (a) non-revs often clear into middles, (b) non-revs include small children, and (c) non-revs are forbidden from asking for swaps. If I was seated between a non-rev child and parent, I would prefer to be given the option of swapping vs. having an unsupervised small child next to me. I might opt not to move, but seems like it should be my (the paying customer's) choice of which is less inconvenient.

Now you can argue that (a), (b), or (c) should change, but those are the rules as currently written and that's what leads to these frustrating situations.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:52 am

It does not happen to me much? but I will consider a switch only if I get an equal or better seat out of the deal. Otherwise, I have no qualms about saying no and enjoying the seat I paid for and selected.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: UGS, AA CK
Originally Posted by chavala

Not ALL of us. Please speak for yourself.

so you’re in the minority too. Good for you.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:14 pm

I can say with some confidence that the replies in this thread are not truly indicative of the experiences onboard. While many do huff and puff a bit when asked to change, in the instances where a displaced family is involved I'd say people move for them 80%+ of the time.

I find it somewhat humorous that some in this thread assume that all passengers are equally as skilled in seat selection (or can afford as such in today's world). Interestingly, they also completely dismiss the possibilities of irrops, missed connections, etc., from impacting said passengers.

I'm more offended by entitled "elites" who claim they would report a young family for frantically attempting to sit together on a long flight. How dare they? laugh out loud
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by telloh
Panhandling is less intrusive. Handing over a dollar is easier than gathering your belongings and moving. If you don't want to give, then the answer is a simple no thank you. Right?
Originally Posted by chavala

Not ALL of us. Please speak for yourself.
I can say with some confidence that the replies in this thread are not truly indicative of the experiences onboard. While many do huff and puff a bit when asked to change, in the instances where a displaced family is involved I'd say people move for them 80%+ of the time.

I find it somewhat humorous that some in this thread assume that all passengers are equally as skilled in seat selection (or can afford as such in today's world). Interestingly, they also completely dismiss the possibilities of irrops, missed connections, etc., from impacting said passengers.

I'm more offended by entitled "elites" who claim they would report a young family for frantically attempting to sit together on a long flight. How dare they? laugh out loud
Again, what is this "family sitting together" thing? If you are 4 or more, the family basically never sits together (except in 777 or 747 Y if they are really lucky). 3 requires a full row which is quite rare. On RJ's, only 2 can sit together.

It has nothing to do with knowing the system or being an elite. If a family of more than 2 flies, chances are they don't get to sit together unless they book REALLY early.

None of us created that situation. It is dictated by plane configuration.

So people who insist they must be with the other members of their family for a few hours are, in fact, the ones with unreasonable expectations.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Again, what is this "family sitting together" thing? If you are 4 or more, the family basically never sits together (except in 777 or 747 Y if they are really lucky). 3 requires a full row which is quite rare. On RJ's, only 2 can sit together.

It has nothing to do with knowing the system or being an elite. If a family of more than 2 flies, chances are they don't get to sit together unless they book REALLY early.

So people who insist they must be with the other members of their family for a few hours are, in fact, the ones with unreasonable expectations.
This. x1000
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:38 pm
Suspended

You’re offended because the people who pay the non-revs’ salary don’t want to give up their paid seats so the people flying for free can be more comfortable?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp

This is not my point. I am specifically talking about YOUNG families, where the children are separated from their parents. I don't care if families of four are not ALL together. I do care if a child under 10 is not sitting next to his or her parent. If dad and daughter are together and mom isn't seated next to them...the only time I'm moving is if it's a better or equal seat. But if none of them are together? Many of us will switch to allow for at least one parent to be with a young child.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.