FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2149483-how-do-you-handle-seat-change-request-archive.html)

jp12687 Oct 22, 2017 1:03 pm

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

The other day I was on EWR-HKG and I had my favorite seat 8D on a 772 2-2-2 config. Bulkhead with direct aisle access. I had booked my flight early when the cabin was wide open. Truthfully 48 hours before he flight much of the cabin was open with people who didn’t pre assign seats

so I’m in the cabin all settled in and have my pre boarding drink when the FA came over and nicely asked me to move to a non bulkhead window to let 2 people sit together.

i politely declined and I went back on my business. I got dirty looks from my seat mate for 16 hours.

felt like a jerk but that’s a big ask for 16 hour flight...

PsiFighter37 Oct 22, 2017 1:05 pm

You're probably never going to run into these people again in your life, so if I were in your shoes, I would have done the same thing. It's their fault they didn't plan far ahead enough to get the seats together that they wanted.

halls120 Oct 22, 2017 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687 (Post 28963143)
i politely declined and I went back on my business. I got dirty looks from my seat mate for 16 hours.

Good for you. ^^

Kacee Oct 22, 2017 1:08 pm

I wouldn't have done it either. It's one thing when the switch is to an equivalent or slightly lesser seat, but bulkhead center aisle to virtually anything else is too much of a downgrade on a long flight.

I do recall one time the FA made a personal plea for me to give up my ps seat for a considerably worse one to help her deal with a very difficult couple, and I did it.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Oct 22, 2017 1:10 pm

I don’t spend time selecting a seat in order to give it up. I’ll change if the seat swap is a wash for me or a positive.

I’ll exchange if the potential negative can be abated - for example, a switch from 2A to 4A on a 738 w/ no mid-cabin lav. I’ll let the FA know that I switched in order to get meal choice.

PaulInTheSky Oct 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687 (Post 28963143)
The other day I was on EWR-HKG and I had my favorite seat 8D on a 772 2-2-2 config. Bulkhead with direct aisle access. I had booked my flight early when the cabin was wide open. Truthfully 48 hours before he flight much of the cabin was open with people who didn’t pre assign seats

so I’m in the cabin all settled in and have my pre boarding drink when the FA came over and nicely asked me to move to a non bulkhead window to let 2 people sit together.

They should have asked the non-bulkhead aisle right next to the non-bulkhead window row. That guy/lady might be ok to sit next to you, considering it's bulkhead aisle at the other side.

S.R Oct 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky (Post 28963186)
They should have asked the non-bulkhead aisle right next to the non-bulkhead window row. That guy/lady might be ok to sit next to you, considering it's bulkhead aisle at the other side.

My thought as well. Most likely scenario is that the person who was in the non bulkhead window wanted to be in the bulkhead aisle so they decided to ask OP instead of the more appropriate person who was sitting in the non bulkhead aisle.

halls120 Oct 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28963159)
I do recall one time the FA made a personal plea for me to give up my ps seat for a considerably worse one to help her deal with a very difficult couple, and I did it.

The one time I gave up a better C seat for a worse one is when the couple didn't ask me to move. They clearly wanted to be together, but didn't once pressure me to move. I was so impressed that I made the offer to move.

Dublin_rfk Oct 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Never. The word no has only been entered into my vocabulary recently and when I use it I usually get a second look. In the example I probably would have said no as well. I’m fairly sure that his seat mate could have swapped with his friends seat mate.

PaulInTheSky Oct 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 28963218)
The one time I gave up a better C seat for a worse one is when the couple didn't ask me to move. They clearly wanted to be together, but didn't once pressure me to move. I was so impressed that I made the offer to move.

I usually would do that if the couple do not look that experienced in flying, slightly aged, and asked you for a favor very, very sincerely. Did that a few times in AA HNL-DFW F.

Tblack15 Oct 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Can't feel bad. Gate Agent asked me to move from bulkhead in Y for a 5 hr flight. I'm 6 ft 7 and I said, no, I chose this seat. She said, "but did you pay for it?". I said I don't have to. She was very confused as this was LIR, Costa Rica. It was so "a family could sit together"..

On the bulkhead? That's the only set of 2 and I was the lone holdout? I was very lost as to why it was me called up on the bulkhead.

notquiteaff Oct 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 28963146)
It's their fault they didn't plan far ahead enough to get the seats together that they wanted.

Perhaps they were upgraded and at that time the selection of seats was limited? I have been in that situation a few times traveling with my wife. Never even came to my mind to try to arrange seat swaps.

In any case, depending on my mood I probably would have declined in this case. There are other scenarios where I would have (and have) swapped seats to accommodate others.

PsiFighter37 Oct 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 28963274)
Perhaps they were upgraded and at that time the selection of seats was limited? I have been in that situation a few times traveling with my wife. Never even came to my mind to try to arrange seat swaps.

In any case, depending on my mood I probably would have declined in this case. There are other scenarios where I would have (and have) swapped seats to accommodate others.

I can sympathize with that - but it really has to be like for like. My wife and I were the last folks upgraded on EWR-BRU a couple years back, and we were sitting in the last row of J on an sCO 772 - I was left side aisle, she was right side window. I asked the guy in the left side window next to me if he would be willing to swap with my wife, as there's literally no difference between the seats. I figured that was a very reasonable ask, but if he had said no? Whatever...that's life...I would be thankful just to be in the front cabin to begin with.

transportprof Oct 22, 2017 1:50 pm

When I decline such seat swaps (usually), I make sure the requesters (not just the FA) know that it's because I'm superstitious. I recount how one time when I switched seats, the plane was hit by lightning and had to make an emergency landing (which is true). That usually takes their minds off the seat swap. :p

milesmilesmiles Oct 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Had assigned E+ window seat on LAX-EWR a couple of months. Wife and 2 year old have the aisle and middle seats and Husband was in E- aisle about 15 rows back.

He asked could he switch with me. I internally sighed and said OK (never would have done if was middle seat). He gave me a $100 bill on the way back to my new seat. I said he did not have to do that and he said that was his way of “really” saying thanks ^