Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
It was the wheelchair guy yesterday. Sitting in 7C and the wheelchair guy comes on with a very frail looking, elderly lady. He scoops her out of the wheelchair and stands next to me holding her in his arms and asks if I'd mind taking the window seat. I don't know if this behaviour is taught in their training sessions but no way was I going to turn that one down.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by luke5111

Sitting in 7C and the wheelchair guy comes on with a very frail looking, elderly lady.
Don't recall which seats, maybe all of them, in row 7 are designated for mobility challenged pax in narrowbody jets (the Devil's Chariot excluded).
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Don't recall which seats, maybe all of them, in row 7 are designated for mobility challenged pax in narrowbody jets (the Devil's Chariot excluded).
7DE on most aircraft, 8DE on the 753, and 7CD on the E70/E75.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:58 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by findark
7DE on most aircraft, 8DE on the 753, and 7CD on the E70/E75.
OOOOPS, forgot about the 75s
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I don't know what seat is designated for the mobility challenged pax in the Devil's Chariot. In 16 months I flew 27 times in that plane and always feel sorry when I see mobility challenges pax having to go to the back of the plane.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by luke5111
It was the wheelchair guy yesterday. Sitting in 7C and the wheelchair guy comes on with a very frail looking, elderly lady. He scoops her out of the wheelchair and stands next to me holding her in his arms and asks if I'd mind taking the window seat. I don't know if this behaviour is taught in their training sessions but no way was I going to turn that one down.
Understand the reluctance to not turn down the request, but I personally would be concerned about the ability of the person to evacuate the plane in an emergency and if I would get stuck and unable to evacuate the plane. I probably would have turned down the request on (personal) safety grounds.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
You’re afraid you can’t get past a “frail” old lady? They can instruct you to move if you don’t agree to it.

That said, it’s not fair to be put on the spot like that.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Funny enough i'm going to ask someone to switch with me in a few weeks-- we booked early and had seat assignments next to each other. UA booted my wife from her seat on HNL-EWR.

We now have an aisle and a middle on the 767. We will ask to switch-- if they say no...oh well. But will ask nicely.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I'd be a hawk at T-24 when online check-in opens up and Premier Silvers are allowed to select E+ seats for free - should get you a good shot of selecting two adjacent seats.

Originally Posted by jp12687
Funny enough i'm going to ask someone to switch with me in a few weeks-- we booked early and had seat assignments next to each other. UA booted my wife from her seat on HNL-EWR.

We now have an aisle and a middle on the 767. We will ask to switch-- if they say no...oh well. But will ask nicely.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Plat; AS MVP Gold; BA Silver; LATAM Black; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; GHA Plat
Three months ago, flying IAD - LHR, I agreed to a seat change request, possibly for the first time ever. Not sure why I did it; didn't even look at the other guy's boarding pass. Turned out he was giving me a free upgrade from E+ to J so he could sit next to his girlfriend. Personally, I would just have given the J seat to my girlfriend...
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 764toHI
I'd be a hawk at T-24 when online check-in opens up and Premier Silvers are allowed to select E+ seats for free - should get you a good shot of selecting two adjacent seats.
its domestic First and its 100% sold out.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by joe_miami
You’re afraid you can’t get past a “frail” old lady? They can instruct you to move if you don’t agree to it.

That said, it’s not fair to be put on the spot like that.
If they instruct you to move, the GA/FA should give you a boarding pass with the new seat assignment. It shouldn't be at the discretion of the guy pushing the wheelchair.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I didn’t say it was at the discretion of the wheelchair guy.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Italian_Kayaker
Three months ago, flying IAD - LHR, I agreed to a seat change request, possibly for the first time ever. Not sure why I did it; didn't even look at the other guy's boarding pass. Turned out he was giving me a free upgrade from E+ to J so he could sit next to his girlfriend. Personally, I would just have given the J seat to my girlfriend...
Some time back I was asked by the FA on a LH flight from SFO to FRA to switch seats so some guy could sit with his wife. I was apprehensive at first as I was in LH J class and had in the past experienced "down-grade" to E so I questioned the FA and told her about my prior experience. She stated "this time I think you will like the switch" and she then moved me to a F seat.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jp12687

Don't offer the middle. Offer the aisle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.