Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cesco.g
This reminds me a HNL-SFO red eye a number of years ago. I had a center aisle seat on the 767 6-across F. Two NRSAs boarded and asked me to change to a window seat, which I politely declined.
They looked quite annoyed, but I did not feel bad about it.
You really should report them. NRSA's are not allowed to ask rev pax to move. It's a very very strict rule, and they can lose their NRSA flying privileges if they get caught. I have had to do this more than once over the years. The last time because an NRSA tried to poach my seat.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the heads up, Proudelitist! I was really not aware of that NRSA rule.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:43 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96

Under the rules, they aren't supposed to be asking passengers for seat swaps at all
Did not know that.

Recall someone who I quickly realized was NRSA asked if I would swap an isle seat in 4 across Biz on 747 for window or isle (don't recall, it's been years) in the front mini cabin, and that seemed like a good swap for me. Otherwise I have NO problem saying no, since I choose my seats VERY carefully, normally MONTHS in advance.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Did not know that.

Recall someone who I quickly realized was NRSA asked if I would swap an isle seat in 4 across Biz on 747 for window or isle (don't recall, it's been years) in the front mini cabin, and that seemed like a good swap for me. Otherwise I have NO problem saying no, since I choose my seats VERY carefully, normally MONTHS in advance.
I almost never agree to swaps, on principle. But...on the rare occasions I consider it, I always ask to see the requestors BP. Two main reasons: 1..to verfiy where they are really sitting. Some people are sneaky and offer a seat that's not theirs. 2: to look for NRSA written on it..to make sure there is not an even bigger problem or shenanigans going on with them.

You would be surprised how often people get indignant about it. NRSA's though, will back out right then. Except the one time of course when the guy tried to fold over the part that said NRSA, and was really offering me a middle instead of the aisle he claimed he had.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I almost never agree to swaps, on principle. But...on the rare occasions I consider it, I always ask to see the requestors BP. Two main reasons: 1..to verfiy where they are really sitting. Some people are sneaky and offer a seat that's not theirs. 2: to look for NRSA written on it..to make sure there is not an even bigger problem or shenanigans going on with them.

You would be surprised how often people get indignant about it. NRSA's though, will back out right then. Except the one time of course when the guy tried to fold over the part that said NRSA, and was really offering me a middle instead of the aisle he claimed he had.
Congratulations! You spelled "on principle" correctly!

I did not realize that a NRSA's BP states NRSA. It's good to know.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
That's a great idea, Proudelitist, and how I think I will handle these requests in the future. An innocent person just asking for a swap may be puzzled by the request but will likely show the BP. Anyone who resists or gets indignant? Well, those are the kind of people I wouldn't want to swap with anyway. Perfect!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
You really should report them. NRSA's are not allowed to ask rev pax to move. It's a very very strict rule, and they can lose their NRSA flying privileges if they get caught. I have had to do this more than once over the years. The last time because an NRSA tried to poach my seat.
Unless they’re in uniform, how can you tell if it’s a NRSA?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Congratulations! You spelled "on principle" correctly!

I did not realize that a NRSA's BP states NRSA. It's good to know.
I didn’t either. I’m learning a boatload on this thread.

In November, a gate agent switched my seat to accommodate a couple. I wasn’t asked. I called United, but was told there was an equipment swap—there wasn’t, I track these things and there certainly wasn’t an hour before the flight when I had my original seat. I was also told no switch happened. So, I emailed customer care with two issues: someone taking my seat, followed by, unsatisfactory problem resolution when I called United. It’s been eight weeks and I haven’t received a response to my email. As a result, I now have three complaints. Since United customer service doesn’t work, I’m going back to my tried and true way to get the company to take me seriously: the DOT.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

I didn’t either. I’m learning a boatload on this thread.

In November, a gate agent switched my seat to accommodate a couple. I wasn’t asked. I called United, but was told there was an equipment swap—there wasn’t, I track these things and there certainly wasn’t an hour before the flight when I had my original seat. I was also told no switch happened. So, I emailed customer care with two issues: someone taking my seat, followed by, unsatisfactory problem resolution when I called United. It’s been eight weeks and I haven’t received a response to my email. As a result, I now have three complaints. Since United customer service doesn’t work, I’m going back to my tried and true way to get the company to take me seriously: the DOT.
Obviously the DOT is the way to go for something very important, but I have several concerns/questions......does the DOT actually do anything about relatively minor issues such as the OP outlined above, an seat swap for no good reason, and unsatisfactory phone resolution? Does really care about someone going to the DOT for minor issues? Does a DOT complaint, or a series of DOT complaints get noted in someone's mileage plus profile in a way where the member is profiled as a complainer and difficult and someone that UA will treat in a negative manner when assistance is needed?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hughw
Obviously the DOT is the way to go for something very important, but I have several concerns/questions......does the DOT actually do anything about relatively minor issues such as the OP outlined above, an seat swap for no good reason, and unsatisfactory phone resolution? Does really care about someone going to the DOT for minor issues? Does a DOT complaint, or a series of DOT complaints get noted in someone's mileage plus profile in a way where the member is profiled as a complainer and difficult and someone that UA will treat in a negative manner when assistance is needed?
The DOT does nothing other than compile complaints and distribute them to the media. That’s it. It’s pretty inert. The value lies with the media and the sensitivity of the airline to potential adverse publicity. I can’t speak for United, but Continental was very keen to have me not complain to the DOT.

The DOT, in essence, does nothing. Perhaps if it’s something serious, the agency might spring into action and write a letter. If you check out the website, they let you know where to go with nontrivial (real) issues.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

Unless they’re in uniform, how can you tell if it’s a NRSA?
There are some subtle signs, and some obvious ones, like a tag on a carryon. Plus they often seem very chatty with working FAs. Once you've recognized a few it becomes more obvious, though of course not always, as some non working FAs try to blend in with regular pax.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, UA Club, Marriott/SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Amex Plat
Reverse!

DEN->ORD this evening (on it now actually). I'm in 15D, colleague in 15C. We board Group 1 and get settled. A woman comes up and her two daughters (maybe 5 and 7, I'm not good with ages not kids myself) are sitting [edit] middle and window next to me. It;s a short flight so I ask: 'where are you'?

She says up a few rows, so I offer to switch. Not really concerned if it's a middle for a few hours. She says: 'No, I'm in 3' proceeds to give the daughters her credit card, and bails.

I've helped the little ones swipe the card for TV, call for waters, throw out trash. I'd be pissed if I didn't feel so bad for these girls who, in my opinion (maybe it's too judgemental) probably have a pretty bad family life if mom is willing to bail on them for a two hour flight.

Some people..

Edit: when mom bailed out to F, FA looks at me and we both are kind of shock. She says 'didn't see that coming,' we both laugh, and I got some comp'd wine. Kids also behaved well so there is that!

Last edited by sfo2bos; Jan 24, 2018 at 5:46 am
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by sfo2bos
DEN->ORD this evening (on it now actually). I'm in 15D, colleague in 15C. We board Group 1and get settled. A woman comes up and her two daughters (maybe 5 and 7, I'm not good with ages not kids myself) are sitting aisle and window next to me. It;s a short flight so I ask: 'where are you'?

She says up a few rows, so I offer to switch. Not really concerned if it's a middle for a few hours. She says: 'No, I'm in 3' proceeds to give the daughters her credit card, and bails.

I've helped the little ones swipe the card for TV, call for waters, throw out trash. I'd be pissed if I didn't feel so bad for these girls who, in my opinion (maybe it's too judgemental) probably have a pretty bad family life if mom is willing to bail on them for a two hour flight.

Some people..

Edit: when mom bailed out to F, FA looks at me and we both are kind of shock. She says 'didn't see that coming,' we both laugh, and I got some comp'd wine. Kids also behaved well so there is that!
Wow, just wow.

If that had been me I would have asked her (the mom) if she were concerned about my police record.

TBH - I do not have one.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Isn't there an issue here with an unaccompanied minor now? I thought you had to have a guardian in the same cabin.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
Isn't there an issue here with an unaccompanied minor now? I thought you had to have a guardian in the same cabin.
Should be a requirement, but this is all I see -
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx

Seating children and infants with adults

United strives to seat children under age 15 with an accompanying adult family member.

To have the best likelihood of children being seated with an accompanying adult, we recommend booking early and selecting seat assignments when you book. You can select seats through united.com, the United app or your travel agent. There may be additional charges for seat assignments depending on which cabin you select. Customers with Basic Economy tickets cannot make seat selections and families who want to sit together while traveling are advised to select a different fare option.

If you don’t select your seats in advance, we’ll do our best to find adjoining seats for a child and adult on the same reservation in the cabin you booked a few days before your flight departs. However, available seats may be limited at that time and your family or group may be split. While we strive to seat children with an adult in their group, seat selections are not guaranteed and may be changed, including in the event of an aircraft substitution.

If a child in your group was booked on a separate reservation, you can combine the reservations by calling the United Customer Contact Center (1-800-864-8331).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.