Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:56 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: sexykitten7
Wiki Link
Archive thread - Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Potential causes {draft list -- needs work}
  • Aircraft equipment changes (appears can be an issue even if the new aircraft is the same type)
  • Computer "glitch" -- common explanation, real source unknown
  • Weight & Balance issues
  • Federal Air Marshal {FAM}
  • Seats needed for passenger with medical / disability / .... issues {particularly a bulkhead issue}
  • Pet in cabin {no bulkhead}
  • Accommodating an high elite or VIP {somewhat unlikely, not standard company policy, and more likely to occur in a premium cabin}
  • Accommodating a family group {not very likely and not standard company policy}
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 15, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

737 changes from a no-mid-lav to one with the mid-lav. A semi-intelligent program would put the family of 4 in the next available clump of E+ seats (as there are plenty, both parents are 1K so no eligibility issues).

United's system puts them in row 38 - last row of the plane.

As usual, SHARES :-:
Old Jan 1, 15, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
Not a FAM in my experience, definitely get on the phone!
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD View Post
Next time my family and I are on the same PNR, I will need to take a screen shot of seat assignments or some form of proof in hand.
Why? If the original seat is still available, you can reassign yourself on-line.

If the original seat is not available, it doesn't matter how many times you call or what proof you have, they will not move you back into the seat.

Last edited by goalie; Jan 4, 15 at 5:51 pm Reason: Removed trolling comments
Old Jan 2, 15, 2:20 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K + UC + 0.94MM, Marriott/Hiltongold, National EE
Waitlisted GPU clears... and seat assignments vanish on other segments

Summary: Babysit your reservation. But you already knew that, right?

Background: So, I have a 5-segment r/t to SYD coming up. Applied GPUs at booking, cleared 2 of 5 segments immediately (the CR7 ones, naturally). One of the TPAC segments cleared a couple of weeks ago (yay!), so now I'm a week out and still waitlisted on the remaining 2 segments.

What happened: Today, as usual, I check the reservation. Hey, IAH-LAX has cleared! (and, as usual, I have the red message telling me that the reservation is out of sync).

However, I also notice I've lost seat assignments on both of the upgraded domestic segments, and the waitlisted TPAC segment. They aren't changed, they just vanished, and I have no seat assignment. Humph.

Fortunately, all three seats are still available, so I just went and reselected them. (Not a triviality -- I had 1A on both CR7s, and 21C on the 777). But if I'd been out of touch for a while, I would have lost those seats and probably been seriously POed.
Old Jan 4, 15, 10:18 am

Just did ORD-YVR, had E+ (aisle, middle) seats via my Gold status selected for myself and 12 year old I was traveling with. Check in have the seats, go to board the plane and gate agent rips up the boarding passes as we board and gives us two middle seats (though still E+) and separates us. There was no equipment change, A319 the entire time. Watched as three families all with young children boarded early, same thing gate agent rips up boarding passes and assigns them seats all over the plane. All three families had multiple kids under 5-6 years of age, two of which I know from talking to had elite status. Gate agent blows them off and says we are boarding, onboard flight attendants do nothing. Families have to haggle and fight with multiple passengers to keep young children sitting next to them, by the time boarding was done everyone within 6 rows of us was ticked off. Absolutely absurd.
Old Jan 4, 15, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Gold Elite
Seat Changed Without Notice

Happy New Year! I recently checked some itineraries I had coming up and noticed that on a ORD-IAD segment my and my wife's seat (same ticket) were moved from the aisle exit row to middle seats in coach, not E+. When I called reservations I was repeatedly told that UA won't guarantee your seat selection and that the computer had a glitch. When I sent an email complaint (after reservations could do nothing) I was told that there was an equipment change. That being said, there were seats in E+ left----why weren't we just relocated there? This is the second such automated problem I have encountered in a month, the last being when I flew back from DCA-ORD and my wife (Silver) was upgraded to first before me (Gold) because the computer lost my status. Glad she got it! Are we relegated to regularly checking our assignments, and how often?
Old Jan 4, 15, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA lifetime 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime TE, Avis is dumb
Unfortunately this does happen on occasion and it is a good idea to check your reservation periodically.

Expertflyer now has an alert for aircraft changes. It might be worth the investment!
Old Jan 4, 15, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL PM + Reserve Card
I fly 100 domestic segments/year, all on AS, AA, and DL, and this never happens. I don't understand why people still put up with this nonsense from UA.
Old Jan 4, 15, 6:15 pm
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach View Post
I don't understand why people still put up with this nonsense from UA.
Because it hardly ever happens. This thread is rife with observational bias. Discount it accordingly.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 4, 15, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Because it hardly ever happens.
Kind of like how IDBs hardly ever happen. Except that you're statistically much more likely to get IDB'd on UA than on DL or AA. Kind of like random seat changes :-:
Old Jan 4, 15, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Because it hardly ever happens. This thread is rife with observational bias. Discount it accordingly.
Kind of like denial of reality. Happens regularly on this board. Advice is frequently given that does not comport with what people actually experience. Discount such advice accordingly.

I guess all the people who post here of this issue are engaging in fabrication?
Old Jan 4, 15, 8:39 pm

I booked my sisters in 2 separate reservations

SFO FRA...in R upgraded biz seats and pre-reserved 14JK months ago.
A few weeks ago, to find UA has moved the one in 14J to 12J. Facing the 2 bathrooms. They wanted to be together, so I had to move them downstairs to 6CD .
First time it happened to me.
Old Jan 4, 15, 8:40 pm

Programs: Chase UR, Amex MR, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, CCarlson Gold, VirginAtl Silver
Ah yes, Chicago. I hadn't flown through ORD for years, but 4 times in the last 14 months, continuing on to Lexington KY. The flight attendants on the ORD-LEX segments were not to be believed. More like sullen teenagers than trained FAs. What is it about Chicago?
Old Jan 4, 15, 8:51 pm
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Kind of like how IDBs hardly ever happen. Except that you're statistically much more likely to get IDB'd on UA than on DL or AA. Kind of like random seat changes :-:
Don't know and don't care. Measuring magnitudes of the minuscule is mindless minutia.
Old Jan 4, 15, 9:29 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K + UC + 0.94MM, Marriott/Hiltongold, National EE
Originally Posted by Keller281 View Post
SFO FRA...in R upgraded biz seats and pre-reserved 14JK months ago.
A few weeks ago, to find UA has moved the one in 14J to 12J. Facing the 2 bathrooms. They wanted to be together, so I had to move them downstairs to 6CD .
First time it happened to me.
14B and 14J are potential FAM (air marshall) seats. Given that only the pax in 14J got moved, I'd tend to suspect that's what happened. Of course, you'll never know for sure 'cause UA can't confirm or deny (although I suppose one of your sisters could sneak up to check!)
Old Jan 5, 15, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT something or other
Just had this happen to us last night - saw the 3+ hour delay out of MCO coming, could not switch destinations, etc., so arranged early for protection on first flight out today, checked website immediately and saw we had great bulkhead seats assigned on the protected flight. Checked when we got in to IAH, and the great seats on today's leg were gone; we were unassigned. Took 2 middling seats for a 2.5 hour flight. No equipment change. I suspect this was a feature of the IRROPS yesterday - someone outranked us.
Note sure who was given the great seats - we'll see today!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: