Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:33 am

Losing Silver Status as of Jan 31

For the first time in 12 years I did not qualify for Silver for 2016. My membership expires Jan 31. I'd like to know if any flights I book while I still have status give me the benefits of status when I fly them after expiration of status?
Example, I'm booked IAH to Denver in February. Currently, my reservation says "Eligible for Complimentary Upgrade" (or something like that.) So, will I actually be eligible for the CPU even though, by that time, I will no longer be Silver?
Same question would apply for getting E+ at T-24.

I am about to make a few more bookings for Spring Travel.

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:52 am

Unfortunately, the benefits only apply while you have the status.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by windhund
Unfortunately, the benefits only apply while you have the status.
Kind of figured that but thought I'd check.

With Global Entry getting me PREcheck all the time and my United Chase card giving me Priority check in, Group 2 boarding, and free bags the only benefits I'm losing out on are getting E+ at T-24 and the occasional upgrade to FC. Most of my trips are on RJs, however, so neither or those lost benefits will affect me much.

Still, after all these year, I'm going to miss it a wee bit.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by rmlanman
I am assuming you are talking about Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) on long haul flights to Europe or Asia. International trips are not eligible for CPUs at all. This is purely a domestic benefit (with potentially some exceptions on Copa?).
It's not strictly an "international" thing, but more of a type of route/plane thing. There are plenty of international flights that offer CPUs. Most of them just happen to be to Canada.

I was once CPUed GUM-HKG as a Silver last year (my only successful CPU), though, of course, I misconnected off the island hopper and wound up missing it.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
It's not strictly an "international" thing, but more of a type of route/plane thing. There are plenty of international flights that offer CPUs. Most of them just happen to be to Canada.
This is true. I get CPU'd to Mexico and back all the time. More accurate to consider flights beyond North America rather than 'international.'
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Kind of figured that but thought I'd check.

With Global Entry getting me PREcheck all the time and my United Chase card giving me Priority check in, Group 2 boarding, and free bags the only benefits I'm losing out on are getting E+ at T-24 and the occasional upgrade to FC. Most of my trips are on RJs, however, so neither or those lost benefits will affect me much.

Still, after all these year, I'm going to miss it a wee bit.
It's true -- the lower-tier statuses don't give you as much these days. To me, one of the biggest benefits is being able to access the Premier desk for support and questions.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:44 am

In 2015 I was 23/24 for getting E+ plus 3 CPU's which isn't bad. It does take some planning as I always check-in right at 24 hours.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I've never been statused with any airline so I'm not sure how much value to place on it (silver). How often can a silver expect to get upgraded to either economy plus or business? I know it is based on availability and silvers are last but is it a 5% chance or a 50% chance? Most important to me is getting upgraded on long haul flights to Europe and Asia. Do those have higher or lower likelihood of having business seats open to silvers?
I fly domestic and when a silver had a couple of upgrades clear on the 30 segments between Silver and Gold levels. Otherwise I was almost always laughably well into double digits on the upgrade list. My IAD to BOS flight last night had over 45 people on the upgrade list. Even as a Platinum today CPU's aren't reliable departing Boston to a hub, although I am at least in the single digits now.

International flights I would expect are heavily loaded with paid first and business, and lots of passengers with higher status that get priority.

My point is I wouldn't focus on United Silver status if international CPU's are the goal. Many here, including me, feel UA is a bit deceptive in how CPU's are advertised as a Silver benefit given how infrequently they happen.

I did find Silver beneficial though for:
  • Group 2 boarding. No more gate checking carry on's because I was in Group 4 or 5.
  • Selecting E+ seats at T-24. I managed this closely using the mobile app and I think I was 30 for 30 moving to E+
  • A handful of upgrades, most surprisingly on a bizarrely 1/3 full BOS to LAX flight. Even first wasn't full when we left.
  • RDM multiplier is useful if you do plan to ever use miles.

There is value to Silver, but not for upgrades.

Mike
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
For the first time in 12 years I did not qualify for Silver for 2016. My membership expires Jan 31.
Maybe doesn't apply, but if you are Platinum with Marriot you can receive Silver status with UA.

I am leveraging that after a territory change last January, followed by a five month layoff, meant not flying at all between last May until this week, which kicked me from Platinum status down to nothing with UA.

Mike
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:21 am
azj

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No one on a 3-passagner (1-elite+2 non-elites) PNR are eligible for CPUs. You will not even show-up on the gate list.

You will have to split the PNR or forgo upgrades.
So... got the booking split... but it was split wrong! Now it's just me in one booking and the other 2 in another. If an upgrade actually clears for me, long shot I know, will the agent upgrade a companion as well, by letting them know we're traveling together in 2 split reservations?

Also... E+ looks wide open with 4 days to departure. Is it worth calling the Premier desk and asking for a refund on the E+ seats I paid for before knowing I was silver?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Remember, most international routes require a GPU to be upgraded, and do not offer CPUs. I believe CPUs are available when the cabin class up front is First, not BusinessFirst.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by azj
So... got the booking split... but it was split wrong! Now it's just me in one booking and the other 2 in another. If an upgrade actually clears for me, long shot I know, will the agent upgrade a companion as well, by letting them know we're traveling together in 2 split reservations? ..
The is no automatic upgrade of companions, they go on the list. Note for gate upgrades, everyone has to be on a single person PNR. Pre-gate upgrades can work for 2 person PNRs, but gate upgrades are only 1-person PNRs.

Originally Posted by azj
... E+ looks wide open with 4 days to departure. Is it worth calling the Premier desk and asking for a refund on the E+ seats I paid for before knowing I was silver?
At 4-days out, Silvers are still not eligible for E+.

As far as calling within the last 24 hours and then asking for a refund, you can try but there is no formal policy supporting the request.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:31 pm
azj

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The is no automatic upgrade of companions, they go on the list. Note for gate upgrades, everyone has to be on a single person PNR. Pre-gate upgrades can work for 2 person PNRs, but gate upgrades are only 1-person PNRs.

At 4-days out, Silvers are still not eligible for E+.

As far as calling within the last 24 hours and then asking for a refund, you can try but there is no formal policy supporting the request.
Okay... so maybe I'll just let the gate agent know what's going on and see where it goes from there regarding the upgrade to F. As for the E+, yeah I know, Silvers get it on day of departure. My reference to 4 days out was that it's quite open and the chances are looking better and better I will receive an upgrade to E+. Which is why I was contemplating asking for a refund, another long shot, I know. Thanks for the advice!
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Amazingly, I was in the 90's% for E+ last year as a silver (for aircraft equipped, really just 1 or 2 IRROPS situations that I didn't get it), and 5 CPUs (2 of those involved DEN-IAD-DEN segments which blew me away). Sure, not the greatest thing in the world but I still think there is a little value in having it.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Last two flights:

- Sunday morning EWR-RDU E75: Literally the only person on the upgrade list not to end up in First . Being on an N Fare probably hurt. Got 7D, the Economy Plus bulkhead

- Wednesday afternoon RDU-ORD 739: #14 on the upgrade list. Got three empty seats in the reclining exit row.

0/2 on CPUs this year, 2/2 on E+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.