Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Silver Premier (longtime CO Elite). Today for first time didnt get E+

How do any people fly E-

Ever.

I'm 6'2" 205 #. It was like squeezing into a sleeping bag (and not a comfortable one either)

A petite blonde lady sat next to me. 5'10, about 120. Even she scoffed.

What a nightmare.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
If you are Silver, you should be checking the E+ availability every now and again to check there are still space. That way you can pay for it if it looks tight (i.e. down to one seat).
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It rolls downhill. More 1Ks and Plats fail to get upgrades and keep their seats in E+, leaving fewer options for Silvers at T-24.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Be happy UA has as much E+ as it does.

DL's EC cabins are half the size of UA's. Must be brutal for Golds/Silvers over there.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Yep, situation normal. An upgrade for me these days is not have a POS sitting next to me. A double upgrade is not having anyone sitting next to me.. A triple upgrade is actually being sitting in a premium cabin. Welcome to the new 'improved' UA.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: 1k
You are silver and this is the first time?

You are lucky.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:11 pm

Got my first upgrade as a silver! Boise - SFO the plane seems empty at the moment hope they don't cancel it.

On the flip side of the coin I couldn't get E+ window or aisle for EWR - SFO tomorrow.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:12 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Got my first upgrade as a silver! Boise - SFO the plane seems empty at the moment hope they don't cancel it.

On the flip side of the coin I couldn't get E+ window or aisle for EWR - SFO tomorrow.
Hub->SFO is ALWAYS full--and full of 1ks
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I've gotten E+ for 13/14 flights this year. The one I didn't was an upgrade to FC on Thanksgiving Day DEN>PDX. I re-qualified for next year but my new boss tells me I'll have higher status quickly.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Had a decent experience as a Silver this year:

3/18 on CPUs (LGA-IAH booked G, LAX-EWR booked L, FLL-EWR booked N)
13/15 on E+ non-middle seat
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flew RDU-IAD-CMH yesterday:

- RDU-IAD #5 on the upgrade list on a E75 (N Fare). These E75s give me hope as they have twice the F cabin of a CR7. Got E+ but couldn't get a bulkhead window which is my favorite
- IAD-CMH #21 (out of #22) on the upgrade list on a CR7, my lowest finish this year. Got E+ again but sadly, no bulkhead.

So far this year I have two upgrades as a Silver and I've only missed E+ on the ER4 which has literally two desirable seats. Not too bad.

Last edited by CMK10; Dec 19, 2015 at 9:09 pm Reason: Incorrect stats
Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I just finished my last UA flight of 2015 today and probably have the highest CPU clearance rate of the silvers, 66% Granted I had only 3 CPU eligible flights after I hit Silver around Labor Day and the 2 CPUs I cleared were IAH - PVR and the return, so not exactly a difficult upgrade. Died 20 something on the list for the 3rd flight, LGA - IAH.

Oh well. Being a Silver, should never really expect an upgrade, so it was nice to have. I love that Southwest has started flying to Mexico from HOU because UA's fares have come down nearly 50% since last year in December for the PVR route.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Out of 40 total segments this year, I had 31 that were eligible for CPU. Of those 31, I was upgraded on 7. 7/31 probably is pretty good for Silver, but I think it's worth noting these were all in the first half of the year for some reason (on basically the same routes). I was having great success on LAS-EWR for awhile but not so much anymore.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:09 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DWFI
Be happy UA has as much E+ as it does.

DL's EC cabins are half the size of UA's. Must be brutal for Golds/Silvers over there.
Sometimes it seems like it's less than 1/3 when doing an plane to plane comparison :O
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Last UA flights of the year are in the bag. I missed the upgrade last week on the Sunday 9 AM RDU-ORD (I was at #5 on a T Fare). So 2 for 9 for upgrades and 100% for E+ minus the ER4. I've requalified for next year and look forward to another decent enough year flying United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.