Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:27 am

Thumbs down When Instant Upgrade Isn't

I recently booked onto UA40 from LAX to EWR. When the reservation was made, there was a "U" symbol on the right with "Instant Upgrade Fare". After completing the sale, the "U" reappeared and upon clicking it, I was taken to a page marked Upgrade - and "Redeem"

I was instantly assigned into a First Class seat. However, upon checking in today, the upgrade is gone and I've been bounced back to E+.

Anyone else have this instant downgrade?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by MackeyBloom
I recently booked onto UA40 from LAX to EWR. When the reservation was made, there was a "U" symbol on the right with "Instant Upgrade Fare". After completing the sale, the "U" reappeared and upon clicking it, I was taken to a page marked Upgrade - and "Redeem"

I was instantly assigned into a First Class seat. However, upon checking in today, the upgrade is gone and I've been bounced back to E+.

I would call. Was there an equipment swap?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
You may want to check out this thread for more info

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...does-work.html

IME the way the instant-ups are supposed to work is that you redeem the upgrade (when space is available and that U is showing on the select a flight screen) before you purchase the ticket.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Beerman92
IME the way the instant-ups are supposed to work is that you redeem the upgrade (when space is available and that U is showing on the select a flight screen) before you purchase the ticket.
You can redeem at any time. Lots of folks wait until after the ticket is issued so that the receipt shows the coach cabin and not first. :-:

Lots of wacky things happen over the weekends still with schedule changes being rolled through the system. If the PN inventory is still available then the OP can upgrade again. If it isn't then I'd wait until Monday before getting in a tizzy over it and calling to have it fixed.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by sbm12
You can redeem at any time. Lots of folks wait until after the ticket is issued so that the receipt shows the coach cabin and not first. :-:

Lots of wacky things happen over the weekends still with schedule changes being rolled through the system. If the PN inventory is still available then the OP can upgrade again. If it isn't then I'd wait until Monday before getting in a tizzy over it and calling to have it fixed.
OP's flight is tomorrow. S/he needs to call now. In looking at the upgrade list, it's a 24 seat F cabin, no way of an equipment downgrade (unless it was originally a wide body).

ETA: Not sure why this was moved to the "how it works" thread. This issue is about being downgraded.

Last edited by njcommodore; Aug 18, 2012 at 4:00 pm
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an open jaw trip. The outbound (aaa-IAH-bbb domestic) was booked on a refundable fare (L) and the continuation (bbb-EWR-yyy Canada) was booked into full Y for some reason. Did not get F at booking.

EWR-yyy is RJ so I am trying to get bbb-EWR which has PN and JN wide open.

On united.com, I have the U icon next to bbb-EWR.

I called for the Y-up upgrade. The agent put me on hold for a long time and came back saying she was waiting for a supervisor to see if this is a refundable fare before she can upgrade me. I told her to not worry about it.

So, what is the rule in this case?

Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by username
I have an open jaw trip. The outbound (aaa-IAH-bbb domestic) was booked on a refundable fare (L) and the continuation (bbb-EWR-yyy Canada) was booked into full Y for some reason. Did not get F at booking.

EWR-yyy is RJ so I am trying to get bbb-EWR which has PN and JN wide open.

On united.com, I have the U icon next to bbb-EWR.

I called for the Y-up upgrade. The agent put me on hold for a long time and came back saying she was waiting for a supervisor to see if this is a refundable fare before she can upgrade me. I told her to not worry about it.

So, what is the rule in this case?

Thanks.
Two very separate things here.

1. "L" fares are not refundable. I'm not aware of any single "L" fare code that is refundable but if you have one can you post the full fare code? I suspect it isn't refundable. But this is irrelevant to part 2.

2. Regardless of #1 above, you are eligible for the upgrade if you truly are booked in "Y". The website will show an Upgrade link next to the flight that you can upgrade, assuming you are Premier. Do not use the "Upgrade Reservation" link at the top - that doesn't work. Use the upgrade link you see for the individual flight from bbb to EWR. No need to call UA for this to process it.

By any chance is this not ticketed through United on 016 stock?

-RM
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Two very separate things here.

1. "L" fares are not refundable. I'm not aware of any single "L" fare code that is refundable but if you have one can you post the full fare code? I suspect it isn't refundable. But this is irrelevant to part 2.

2. Regardless of #1 above, you are eligible for the upgrade if you truly are booked in "Y". The website will show an Upgrade link next to the flight that you can upgrade, assuming you are Premier. Do not use the "Upgrade Reservation" link at the top - that doesn't work. Use the upgrade link you see for the individual flight from bbb to EWR. No need to call UA for this to process it.

By any chance is this not ticketed through United on 016 stock?

-RM
Thanks. That is what I thought.

The website shows an orange U icon and links to Premier Instant Upgrade Fare

When I clicked on it, the rules came up but I could not see where to upgrade.

If I go through the regular upgrade page, it says I can upgrade with miles and no inventory is available.

It is a UA 016 ticket.

Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by sbm12
I wouldn't sweat it. If, for some reason, you don't get any points posted after the trip simply claim them using the receipt for the Y fare you originally purchased. Save the BPs, just in case. :-:

The bigger risk IMO is that someone will see the upgrade and note that it isn't properly sponsored and by then the decent seats in Y won't be there. That would be unfortunate.
who would "see the upgrade" in this case? does UA really have people on the inside micromanaging every person's reservations? clearly not, that's what they have we the pax for!

to the original poster's point, all of my Y-ups are also showing 0PQM for each segment. i'm gonna roll with it and claim them on the back end if they don't post automatically.

Originally Posted by username
Thanks. That is what I thought.

The website shows an orange U icon and links to Premier Instant Upgrade Fare

When I clicked on it, the rules came up but I could not see where to upgrade.

If I go through the regular upgrade page, it says I can upgrade with miles and no inventory is available.

It is a UA 016 ticket.

Thanks.
the link you are looking for is on the bottom of the reservation on the left hand side just below the last flight segment. it will say 'redeem instant upgrade' or something to that effect. it's in quite small font and i believe is a blue hyperlink.

Originally Posted by austin_native
I have to book via Carlson for work, so I go in after the fact and choose seats. I've had to call each time to get the instant y/b/m upgrade pushed through since system conversion. Interested to know if anyone has self-service upgraded when they see the icon on their segment? Would you mind detailing the steps? Next time this happens I'll try and "explore" the page options more thoroughly. Thanks.
if your reservation links to .bomb and your MP account you should be able to go into the reservation and look below the last flight segment for a small blue hyperlink that says 'redeem instant upgrade' or something to that effect ('premier instant upgrade?' i dont remember). click on that and it will show you the eligible flight segments in your itinerary and allow you to process the upgrade yourself.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 18, 2012 at 9:52 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MackeyBloom

So what did UA say when you called to get this fixed?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddrost1
the link you are looking for is on the bottom of the reservation on the left hand side just below the last flight segment. it will say 'redeem instant upgrade' or something to that effect. it's in quite small font and i believe is a blue hyperlink.
Thanks. I found it and just did it. Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
who would "see the upgrade" in this case? does UA really have people on the inside micromanaging every person's reservations? clearly not, that's what they have we the pax for!
My guess is that the agent was very surprised to see this booked in Y as booking itself has a very low price (the on-ward segment did technically book into Y but may not have taken on a typically "Y" price) -- have actually seen this plenty of times and I won't publicly hypothesize as to what is causing it as I'm in no mood to do UA favors given the way I've been treated recently.

Last edited by aCavalierInCoach; Aug 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
My guess is that the agent was very surprised to see this booked in Y as booking itself has a very low price (the on-ward segment did technically book into Y but may not have taken on a typically "Y") price -- have actually seen this plenty of times and I won't publicly hypothesize as to what is causing it as I'm in no mood to do UA favors given the way I've been treated recently.
i hear you. the benefit is in this case they gave the OP the tool to handle it himself off their watch!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
i hear you. the benefit is in this case they gave the OP the tool to handle it himself off their watch!
Yep, precisely.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Starwood Platinum
no upgrade on M fare

booked flt today on an M fare with 3 open seats on an 737 in first...however, there is no avl for a 1k instant upgrade. so much for the benefits of being a 1k...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.