Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by ajboulder
I purchase economy tickets for client work and then submit the receipt for reimbursement. I'm UA Gold.

If I decline the "Premier Instant Upgrade" check boxes on the screen that comes up after I choose a B fare, can I say yes to that upgrade later on?

The goal is to have a receipt showing that I paid economy (B), but still have the option to accept the upgrade if it's free and available.
How about explaining it to your manager and getting buy-in from the company?

If you don't have buy-in from your company, how important is the job you are in right now?

You can obviously book YBM, decline upgrade, ticket, print receipt, then call in for upgrade as long as the instant upgrade bucket is still open
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
I purchase economy tickets for client work and then submit the receipt for reimbursement. I'm UA Gold.

If I decline the "Premier Instant Upgrade" check boxes on the screen that comes up after I choose a B fare, can I say yes to that upgrade later on?

The goal is to have a receipt showing that I paid economy (B), but still have the option to accept the upgrade if it's free and available.
If that doesn't work don't forget that you have 24 hours to cancel your UA ticket for no fee. Why not book it, decline the upgrade, wait for it to ticket, save the receipt, cancel and rebook. When you rebook the second time don't decline the upgrade.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime

Assuming the proper fare class is available, you can upgrade via the website at any time after booking. Sometimes the upgrade fare class does disappear before F is full, so you will want to process the upgrade as soon as possible to maximize your chances of it being available. But you can absolutely book in coach and then upgrade after printing your receipt.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I was able to get the upgrade done on the phone by a helpful rep.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Sometimes the upgrade fare class does disappear before F is full, so you will want to process the upgrade as soon as possible to maximize your chances of it being available. But you can absolutely book in coach and then upgrade after printing your receipt.
It seems that the Revenue Management Gods (or Demons) enjoy playing with PN availability and it can open, close, and reopen again.

For example, I just did a trip (in B) where at time of ticketing one of three possible (i.e. F cabin exists) flights actually had PN availability. I was watching the res pretty closely, and two days later PN opened on a CR7-operated segment after being initially unavailable.

The 752-operated segment was the one I really wanted and "F" availability was holding at a constant 7, but PN was showing 0 for three days after ticketing. On the 3rd day PN opened up to 3, F still 7, so I got that segment upgraded. F dropped to 6, PN dropped to 2... and then a couple days later (at this point ~4 days prior to departure) F was still 6, PN was back to 0. I didn't look after that.

I guess the short version is just because its not available at one point doesn't mean it won't become available. And if it doesn't become available in advance being booked into Y or B gives a distinct advantage at the gate.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I think I don't understand M fares

Mrs mwc (who is GS) has an AAA-BBB-AAA flight (domestic US) where the outbound is in U and the return is in M. I thought this would mean an instant upgrade for BBB-AAA.

• Instant upgrades for all Premier members on Y and B full-fare Economy tickets and for Premier 1K members on M fares are available on all flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades.

She called the GS line, who told her that F was full, although it currently shows F6, A2, JN6, C3, D2, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y2,... The reservation page also offers a buy-up for $145.

Is there some condition other than F availability that I'm not thinking of?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by mwc8962
Mrs mwc (who is GS) has an AAA-BBB-AAA flight (domestic US) where the outbound is in U and the return is in M. I thought this would mean an instant upgrade for BBB-AAA.

• Instant upgrades for all Premier members on Y and B full-fare Economy tickets and for Premier 1K members on M fares are available on all flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades.

She called the GS line, who told her that F was full, although it currently shows F6, A2, JN6, C3, D2, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y2,... The reservation page also offers a buy-up for $145.

I think for GS PN has to be available even for M instant upgrades. Since she is GS and on M fare and there are 6 seats left
I would think a very good chance of clearing. Unless they get 6 people to take a buyup. I'm assuming it's so low because her fare is probably already very high.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Upgrades are subject to capacity controls, which may limit the number of seats available.
As noted above, the M instant upgrade will only clear if PN>0.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instant upgrades are capacity controlled. per the UA website

Instant upgrades are confirmable at time of ticketing, if space is available. If a seat is not available at time of ticketing, these upgrades will be processed automatically starting at the five-day window. Instant upgrades are subject to capacity controls.

from this page

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../upgrades.aspx

So just because there are empty F seats does not mean an instant upgrade will clear.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Plat
Ah, thanks for clarification that PN space must be available.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by SF1K
I think for GS PN has to be available even for M instant upgrades. Since she is GS and on M fare and there are 6 seats left
I would think a very good chance of clearing. Unless they get 6 people to take a buyup. I'm assuming it's so low because her fare is probably already very high.
Yes, they need to have the opportunity to upgrade someone for $59 rather than clear it for a GS on an expensive fare. Makes perfect sense
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Y/B/M Instant Upgrades not working - .com bug?

I've had two Y instant upgrade opportunities recently that I've had to call the Premier desk to clear as the web site doesn't work. I select the segment and click continue but it acts like I've not selected anything.

! We could not process your request. Please see the message below and make revisions.

! Please select at least one segment to be upgraded.

Anyone else seen this?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by RockinRon
I've had two Y instant upgrade opportunities recently that I've had to call the Premier desk to clear as the web site doesn't work. I select the segment and click continue but it acts like I've not selected anything.

! We could not process your request. Please see the message below and make revisions.

Anyone else seen this?
Yes. Multiple times.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
Yep.

I can't remember the last one I had work right... maybe 8-9 months.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by RockinRon

Anyone else seen this?
Whenever I am using my mobile device, it doesn't work... whether I am using the app or using the full website on my device.... I think there are issues with the app, as well as Chrome on my Note3. I always have to open the laptop and do it there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.