Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Im confused. You are trying to use 1 of your GPU and the agent is saying you cant? Or are you thinking you just get a free upgrade because you are 1 k? Domestic upgrades are the only thing you can get for free with higher status on the waitlist.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:36 pm

You might want to see if P fares are available. You might be able to purchase/upfare to a J seat with little to no cost.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DK6677
"Y/B/M upgrades are only allowed within the U.S. and Caribbean. You cannot get them on flights to Asia, Europe or Latin America"
Y/B upgrades (and M for 1Ks) have been only available of CPU eligible flights which does not include USA-Asia flights. This is unchanged.

For more read Upgrades overview

Now if you are planning on using a GPU, that requires R space which may or may not exist even with open seats. If not available you can waitlist. A higher fare will get you better priority when waitlisting but it will not bypass the waitlist or R space requirement.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....heh? Is that right or is it just me never getting what their website promises?...
Please quote website promise by UA.

Last edited by TerryK; Aug 19, 2015 at 8:06 am
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Any advice or things to keep in mind for the future?
Three things from the UA website:

1) "Instant upgrades for all Premier members on Y and B full-fare Economy tickets and for Premier 1K members on M fares are available on all flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades"

2) Flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:
-Continental U.S., except for p.s
-Hawaii, except certain routes
-Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America

3) Ineligible flights are U.S. to Asia/Europe/South America/Guam.

No fraud involved.

I agree w/ earlier post - as long as you've bought yourself a M fare, might as well see what P is for the same flights. May be able to up-fare for little cost.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 19, 2015 at 12:59 am
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by edcho
You might want to see if P fares are available. You might be able to purchase/upfare to a J seat with little to no cost.
Plus change fees...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by flyfd
Plus change fees...
GG BUYUP
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
One thing people don't realize is that PN space has to be available for Y/B/M upgrade to clear. Easiest way to tell is when you're purchasing, it should have a message saying "Instant Upgrade Available".
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
heh? Is that right or is it just me never getting what their website promises?

Am beginning to have enough with this airline - feel like this was fraud. You pay extra for the higher fair and get.... NOTHING.

Any advice or things to keep in mind for the future?
First, I think we need more information. How are you trying to upgrade - for free, using miles + copay or GPU.

If the first, where does the UA website promise free upgrades on flights from the U.S. to Asia. In fact, where does the website "promise" any upgrade on any route. Yes, there are upgrades on some routes without a payment required, but all are listed as "space-available".

You are certainly welcome to feel however you'd like, but misreading what you get for your fare isn't fraud on the airlines part - it's a misunderstanding on yours. Even if you are trying to use a GPU or miles/copay - space must be available for this (not just space in the cabin). For the record, if you put yourself in the upgrade list, your higher fare gives you higher priority for any upgrade seats that do become available, and lower the miles and/or copay if using that to secure the upgrade.

Since you want advice or things to keep in mind, how about this - before you go out complaining like this, determine what your fare gets and what the actual upgrade policy is (like it is space-available and requires some sort of payment for your route - be it a GPU or miles + copay). Then set your expectations in line given this.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
First, I think we need more information. How are you trying to upgrade - for free, using miles + copay or GPU.
We don't need more information. OP says twice he was expecting a "Y/B/M upgrade" as a 1K.

IAH-OIL-TRASH's post pretty much covers everything here. OP misunderstood the applicable rules.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is getting over-complicated for someone who is clearly not familiar with the system.

The bottom line here is that:

1. There are no free UG's for international (within UA's specific definition which includes Asia).

2. The rules for free upgrades, e.g. CPU's, including Y/B/M, have not changed.

If OP has other questions about other ways to UG, he should come back and ask those questions. Otherwise, this just becomes circular.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:27 am

Many thanks for all of you for the valuable information

I am definitely better informed now - I appreciate it and am happy to have found y'all.

I indeed was mistaken to think that free upgrades were offered for Y/B/M fares internationally.

I have to book my flights via a travel agency (it's a work thing) so can't check things on the website as I book. The only thing I can do is to ask for a certain fare/code (I asked for M - that was clearly a waste of money - but now I know better for the future.

Last question - can anyone please explain what is the meaning of a "P" fare? (I think the agent also mumbled something about "PS" as she was typing on her side - what is that?). What would a "P" fare give me assuming I added money to change the "M" leg to a "P"?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Last question - can anyone please explain what is the meaning of a "P" fare? (I think the agent also mumbled something about "PS" as she was typing on her side - what is that?). What would a "P" fare give me assuming I added money to change the "M" leg to a "P"?
P is the cheapest business class fare. On domestic routes, it's usually cheaper than an M. On long haul international, if available, it could be more or less pricey than your M. Worth checking to see if it's close.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I am definitely better informed now - I appreciate it and am happy to have found y'all.

I indeed was mistaken to think that free upgrades were offered for Y/B/M fares internationally.

I have to book my flights via a travel agency (it's a work thing) so can't check things on the website as I book. The only thing I can do is to ask for a certain fare/code (I asked for M - that was clearly a waste of money - but now I know better for the future.

P fare is discount Business Class - cheapest ticket you can directly buy in Business, in brief.

Decoding the language below - the y/B/M instant upgrade is 'capacity controlled' which means that just because you buy Y?B?M fare on an eligible flight, you are NOT guaranteed an upgrade. The airline controls this inventory like award space availability. It is not just a question of having open seats in Business
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:09 pm

Got it - thanks. I should be here more often to learn... Just

to close the loop:

I checked. Changing from M to P was $2200 more for one leg (I think). So I went for 30K miles and $350 instead. Having enough miles is never an issue.

I did know Y/B/M upgrade was capacity controlled but didn't know it's basically limited in North America and Caribbean. Now I'll know.

Since I'm in the company of such experts let me benefit from your wisdom some more - given how perks at UA are becoming harder to come by, should I consider another loyalty program next year? I'm based in Washington DC and fly mostly internationally (mostly to Europe and Asia but sometimes other random places). I do at least 1K a year. Any other creative ideas?

Thank you thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.