Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by physioprof
Did you check what the cheapest F fare is? A lot of the time it can be barely more, or even cheaper, than full-fare refundable Y.

And yes, there is nothing bogus about not getting the instant upgrade; what happened is exactly in accordance with the published rules.
On my last 3 TCONs, discount F was cheaper than refundable Y
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mdobbins
Instant upgrades are subject to capacity controls.
This pretty much says it all.

The instant upgrade clears into PN inventory. If PN is open, it will clear at booking. Otherwise, the upgrade is waitlisted.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
This pretty much says it all.

The instant upgrade clears into PN inventory. If PN is open, it will clear at booking. Otherwise, the upgrade is waitlisted.
I don't believe the upgrade is "waitlisted." If PN opens up you have to either call in or manually process it on the website. Otherwise you'll just clear (if PN is available) within 120 hours of departure.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by boat9781
I don't believe the upgrade is "waitlisted." If PN opens up you have to either call in or manually process it on the website. Otherwise you'll just clear (if PN is available) within 120 hours of departure.
Yes, thanks for the clarification. It will be waitlisted beginning at T-120 and processed as a CPU but with super-priority.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by NellieVA
I'm a UA Premier G* and just ticketed a Y-class fare for coast-to-coast travel. According to the Premier benefits guide, "Instant Upgrades" are issued for Gold Members and higher on "Y- or B- full-fare tickets." The flight, however, is only showing as eligible for a "Premier Upgrade," which don't start to clear until 48 hours out (in my case).

I called United to ask .... They acknowledged that I am on a Y-class ticket. She couldn't figure out what the upgrade wouldn't clear, so she contacted a supervisor. More than 10 minutes later, she comes back and tells me there is no "fare availability" for an upgrade. Nowhere in the benefits information does it state that there are limitations on instant upgrades, and the First cabin on both flights is well below half-full.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I feel baited, as I purposely booked the Y-class fare in anticipation of the upgrade, and now they are coming up with limitations, which are nowhere spelled out -- at least on their webpage. Anyone else dealt with this "bait and switch?"
Check the price of first - it is probably less then Y. For example, nonstop EWR-SFO the prices are:

B - $1077
Y - $1673

P (First) - $1115
F (Full First) - $2550

If you book a couple of weeks in advance there are usually P fares as above. If you want to take a connection from EWR-SFO, P drops to $499.

I end up buying B and Y a lot but it is always the day before a flight and first is completely full.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boat9781
I can confirm that. I was on a refundable B-class ticket the other day and did not clear upon ticketing some two weeks out. Thanks to my continuous checking I was able to manually be cleared when PN1 showed up with F3 alongside.
On the day of departure I was the only one who showed cleared on that midweek TransCon 738.

Had I "hoped" for the system to take care of it, I would have never cleared.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Check the price of first - it is probably less then Y. For example, nonstop EWR-SFO the prices are:

B - $1077
Y - $1673

P (First) - $1115
F (Full First) - $2550

If you book a couple of weeks in advance there are usually P fares as above. If you want to take a connection from EWR-SFO, P drops to $499.

I end up buying B and Y a lot but it is always the day before a flight and first is completely full.
PhysioWife and I do a ton of transcon flights on UA out of EWR with plenty of advance notice, and almost always can get great P fares.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:57 pm

If you confirm an instant upgrade then do the original fare rules still apply? E.g. if the original fare was fully refundable then can you still get a full refund after the upgrade into PN?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by blackllotus
If you confirm an instant upgrade then do the original fare rules still apply? E.g. if the original fare was fully refundable then can you still get a full refund after the upgrade into PN?
Yes.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Yes.
However, in my experience, that fact that it has been PNed frequently means that self service tools (e.g. web site, United app) aren't able to change/refund* the reservation so I have to call reservations. (For changes, at least, it will go through the illusion of letting you change it only to fail when on the last step)

So (again, IME), while the original fare rules continue to apply, it's not as easy to change a ticket after it's been upgraded as it is a "pure" Economy/First ticket.

*- I refund far less frequently than I change, so my memory may be faulty as insofar as refunds are concerned.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
However, in my experience, that fact that it has been PNed frequently means that self service tools (e.g. web site, United app) aren't able to change/refund* the reservation so I have to call reservations. (For changes, at least, it will go through the illusion of letting you change it only to fail when on the last step)

So (again, IME), while the original fare rules continue to apply, it's not as easy to change a ticket after it's been upgraded as it is a "pure" Economy/First ticket.

*- I refund far less frequently than I change, so my memory may be faulty as insofar as refunds are concerned.
This has not been my experience at all. In fact, just the other day I used the Web site to change an instant-upgraded PN segment to a regular P fare on a different flight. I was charged no change fee, and received a substantial credit card refund for the difference between the original upgraded Y fare and the new P fare.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by bldr1k

B - $1077
Y - $1673

P (First) - $1115
F (Full First) - $2550

Sometimes the disparities are even bigger. I flew DEN-ATL o.w. last summer for $268 all-in for P class. M class on that flight was over $600. This is where booking a couple weeks in advance can get you a steal of a deal.

Pricing is heavily route dependent as well as inventory dependent.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Yes.
Regarding refund-ability ... if you choose a refundable fare bucket in economy... does that typically mean that any economy fare class above the advertised refundable fare class is also refundable (for instance, if U is a refundable bucket, such as the typical DEN-SFO refundable fare... does that mean that buckets in E, M, B, and Y would also be refundable by default?)?

I guess that would tie into the question posed by the previous poster regarding maintaining refund-ability by upgrading into PN class from a refundable ticket......
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Regarding refund-ability ... if you choose a refundable fare bucket in economy... does that typically mean that any economy fare class above the advertised refundable fare class is also refundable (for instance, if U is a refundable bucket, such as the typical DEN-SFO refundable fare... does that mean that buckets in E, M, B, and Y would also be refundable by default?)? ...
While may be true at times, it is a bad assumption and will not always be true.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Regarding refund-ability ... if you choose a refundable fare bucket in economy... does that typically mean that any economy fare class above the advertised refundable fare class is also refundable (for instance, if U is a refundable bucket, such as the typical DEN-SFO refundable fare... does that mean that buckets in E, M, B, and Y would also be refundable by default?)?

I guess that would tie into the question posed by the previous poster regarding maintaining refund-ability by upgrading into PN class from a refundable ticket......
If you instant upgrade into PN from a refundable economy fare, you definitely maintain refundability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.