Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:21 pm

While you can choose economy | business | first individually by leg, I believe if you specify a specific fare class then that preference applies to all legs.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
First, of all, thanks everyone...FWIW I booked M both ways; return cleared as complimentary (IBPS? ) Threw an RPU at the outbound as well just in case...

(btw, apologies for the noob questions. Yes, I managed 1k last year, but it was almost entirely compliments of my employer covering TATL J for a few trips, so I'm relatively new to the domestic upgrade games)

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
This far out and with F9+ based on my experience (but not on SFO-EWR specifically) I'd say it's almost certain -- though you may need to watch it closely as PN can open and close with little warning.
So does this mean that if PN opens up, I need to call to get it manually cleared? That seems a bit silly, if entirely in character for UA

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You need to use an RPU or a GPU for p.s. configured flights (including when they change to EWR in October from JFK). There are no Y/B/M fare upgrades on p.s. flights. Instrument only or pay for it.

So if you're on an M fare and you apply an instrument you have a very high chance of clearing. A "G" fare not as much.
-RM
Done and fingers crossed...the problem with SFO-EWR is that half the flight is probably GS (ok, maybe just 40% if it's a light day )

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The PS switch to EWR does not start until Oct 25th, so the OP's flight will be prior to the designation of flights from EWR as PS. So there is a reasonable likelihood the flight on 20th Oct is CPU eligible and therefore Instant Upgrade eligible. The regular EWR<>LAX lie flat aircraft has been CU eligible (but little chance of CPU).
The best wait to tell is for the OP to check once booked and see if the CPU flag is showing. Then OP can use the free 24 hour cancel if it is not.
Cleared on the return, so mostly likely not PS yet. Although I thought PS flights were the 28J configuration birds? This one's 16J/153Y, which I thought was the pmCO TATL configuration...

Correct. Missed the exact date of the change. If it's before the JFK service moves to EWR then Y/B/M should still apply as well as CPU. An "M" fare booking into "PN" is highly likely IMO based on current loads.
-RM
Fingers crossed

Originally Posted by Kacee
Slightly higher than the risk of a swap to a less desirable aircraft.
Aaaaaaaaaaaand, there's the downer. Probably true though
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Threw an RPU at the outbound as well just in case...
I would pull that back. PN will open before or at same time as R. The RPU adds nothing.

So does this mean that if PN opens up, I need to call to get it manually cleared?
Yes.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand, there's the downer. Probably true though.
Okay, I was exaggerating for comic effect. The 752 is probably about 90% likely to stick.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:02 pm

I would pull that back. PN will open before or at same time as R. The RPU adds nothing.
Out of curiosity, what happens if the RPU is not retracted and PN opens? Presumably the CU will clear and the RPU would be redeposited? Or at least that's how it ought to work right?

And speaking of which, is there a pattern to PN inventory being made available - or is it a case of YMMV?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Cleared on the return, so mostly likely not PS yet. Although I thought PS flights were the 28J configuration birds? This one's 16J/153Y, which I thought was the pmCO TATL configuration...
PS out of JFK was 28 J configs but the EWR PS will be both 16J & 28J. All EWR<>SFO/LAX will be convert to PS and with up to 17 flight to SFO and up to 15 to LAX it will take more aircraft than what JFK used -- henced the need to the 16J configs which have been pulled from many of the TATL routes.
For more see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...25-2015-a.html

The 16J configs have been used up to 2x for EWR<>LAX and occasional EWR<>SFO.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Out of curiosity, what happens if the RPU is not retracted and PN opens?
Nothing. When R opens, they will take your RPU and clear you into R. You have to call to get the M upgrade into PN. So pulling the RPU would require a commitment to check for PN availability daily.

Edited to add: Just to be clear, the RPU will not get you into PN. It clears into R.

And speaking of which, is there a pattern to PN inventory being made available - or is it a case of YMMV?
There are some indicators, but at the end of the day YMMV. As a general guide, they're not likely to open PN until they've opened P. The usual progression would be P=>PN=>R=>IN, with no guaranty either of the last two ever happen.

henced the need to the 16J configs which have been pulled from many of the TATL routes.
And BOG
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:14 pm

PS out of JFK was 28 J configs but the EWR PS will be both 16J & 28J. All EWR<>SFO/LAX will be convert to PS and with up to 17 flight to SFO and up to 15 to LAX it will take more aircraft than what JFK used -- henced the need to the 16J configs which have been pulled from many of the TATL routes.
For more see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...25-2015-a.html

The 16J configs have been used up to 2x for EWR<>LAX and occasional EWR<>SFO.
Understood. I think I saw 2x or 3x 16J 752s on the days I was looking (in October) at SFO/EWR and back.

Nothing. When R opens, they will take your RPU and clear you into R. You have to call to get the M upgrade into PN. So pulling the RPU would require a commitment to check for PN availability daily.

Edited to add: Just to be clear, the RPU will not get you into PN. It clears into R.

There are some indicators, but at the end of the day YMMV. As a general guide, they're not likely to open PN until they've opened P. The usual progression would be P=>PN=>R=>IN, with no guaranty either of the last two ever happen.
I get that - I suppose they'd rather have an instrument burned and get the M fare rather than give it away for free... TBH I don't think I will have the time to check PN regularly, so I'll probably leave the RPU in place for now - maybe closer to departure I'll pull it; say T-10.

Again, thanks everyone. Really appreciate the pointers
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Global Entry, Citi Prestige, Chase MileagePlus Club
New United.com Flight Search Not Showing CPU Eligibility Correctly?

I was search for round-trips to SJO (San Jose, Costa Rica). Based on the upgrade rules, this should be CPU-eligible. However, when searching for the flights on the update united.com, I see both a W fare and an M fare. The M fare has a note next to it saying that is is "Eligible for Upgrade - Upgrades are available for Premier 1K members". The same is not shown next to the W fare, but that should be upgradeable as well, right? Is this just some display strangeness with the new site?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:57 pm

The M fare is eligible for an instant upgrade into PN inventory. That is different from the regular CPU upgrade processing at the window.

It is displaying correctly based on what you have described.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:10 pm

You need to use an RPU or a GPU for p.s. configured flights (including when they change to EWR in October from JFK). There are no Y/B/M fare upgrades on p.s. flights. Instrument only or pay for it.

So if you're on an M fare and you apply an instrument you have a very high chance of clearing. A "G" fare not as much.

-RM
Correct. Missed the exact date of the change. If it's before the JFK service moves to EWR then Y/B/M should still apply as well as CPU. An "M" fare booking into "PN" is highly likely IMO based on current loads.

-RM
Well, it's gone to F0 a full week in advance. Good for United, sucks for me. Looks like I'm going to try to change to a less desirable flight...
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Well, it's gone to F0 a full week in advance. Good for United, sucks for me. Looks like I'm going to try to change to a less desirable flight...
yeah, I bought a BOS-IAH flight 3 weeks ago for a flights at the end of October ... got the LAST F seat Some routes are selling F.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Change to YBM instant upgrades {if waitlisted?} - Only 1K after Feb. 2016

Notice something new when checking something on United.com. I don't recall it being mentioned on FT yet.

Appears for flights departing after Feb. 1, 2016, the only 1K members will be eligible for instant upgrades on Y, B, or M fares.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

For flights departing on or after February 1, 2016, the following is the order of priority for upgrades, within five days of departure, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:

Premier 1K members on eligible Y-, B- and M-class fares: Premier 1K Instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance are prioritized by fare class
All travelers on waitlisted Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler, then fare class and then time of request2
All remaining Premier members: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler, then fare class and then award travel3
I imagine this will be a bummer for those that have utilized these prior....

***On further checking, higher in the page it indicates that all premiere members have access to the YB upgrades.
Seems to contradict themselves. Not sure what is the actual intent here. Maybe only 1K can waitlist within 5 days?

Last edited by goodeats21; Dec 9, 2015 at 8:26 am Reason: ***additional
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Only 1K and GS were ever eligible for YBM instant PN domestic upgrades. That's nothing new.

Are you saying normie elites no longer are eligible for YB instant domestic upgrades?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
To be clear - 1Ks were eligible for YBM upgrades at booking. Other elites are eligible for immediate upgrades on YB fares.

The difference was 1K got immediate upgrade on "M" fares and that looks to be staying in place. Question now is whether other elites will continue to get immediate upgrades on YB fares?

-RM
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I am not really sure now.

The page in the above link shows a change effective Feb. 1, 2016 for order of priority of upgrades clearing within 5 days of travel.

The only wording difference is instead of "Premier members on eligible Y- and B-class fares, as well as Premier 1K members on M-class fares" it will now be "Premier 1K members on eligible Y-, B- and M-class fares".

I originally inferred that only 1Ks will have access to YBM upgrades, but the page still lists
Instant upgrades at time of ticketing
Premier members traveling on full-fare economy Y and discount full-fare economy B fares are eligible for an instant upgrade at time of ticketing on select flights. Premier 1K members traveling on M fares are also eligible. Instant upgrades are subject to capacity controls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.