Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Decoding the language below - the y/B/M instant upgrade is 'capacity controlled' which means that just because you buy Y?B?M fare on an eligible flight, you are NOT guaranteed an upgrade. The airline controls this inventory like award space availability. It is not just a question of having open seats in Business
While yes the inventory is indeed capacity controlled it is far more available than the capacity for comp upgrades on cheaper fares... the capacity is separate from the capacity used for other upgrades given to upgraders using miles or waiting for comp upgrades (these clear into the "R" or "RN" buckets). For 1K instant upgrades on a B or M fare you clear into the "PN" fare bucket... there is far more chance of clearing there. If you are on a Y fare you clear into the JN bucket and there is even less capacity control.

If you consistently buy M fares on domestic flights as a 1K your clearance rate will be near 100%, if not 100%. Heck, if you buy Q fares you'll do very well even without the instant upgrade..but you won't be at 100%.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
the capacity is separate from the capacity used for other upgrades given to upgraders using miles or waiting for comp upgrades (these clear into the "R" or "RN" buckets).
Actually, all GS upgrades clear into PN. No upgrades clear into RN.

If you are on a Y fare you clear into the JN bucket and there is even less capacity control.
Nope. Y instant upgrades also clear into PN.

If you consistently buy M fares on domestic flights as a 1K your clearance rate will be near 100%, if not 100%.
Not even close to true. Not with current premium loads and all the UP/UPDI fares.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, all GS upgrades clear into PN. No upgrades clear into RN. (RE: Near 100% Clearance if M fares purchased as 1K) Not even close to true. Not with current premium loads and all the UP/UPDI fares.
Since R=RN presently... and since I've had many upgrades clear into RN myself whether they were supposed to or not..I mentioned it. Hair splitting..you're incorrect that no upgrades clear into RN..they do indeed.

Also I stand by my statement on M fares for domestic flights.. at or near 100%. Always will be exceptions.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DK6677
...I'm based in Washington DC and fly mostly internationally (mostly to Europe and Asia but sometimes other random places)....
I personally think it's hard to move away from a dominant carrier at your local airport. I don't think the extra hassle in flying is worth the difference between programs.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Also I stand by my statement on M fares for domestic flights.. at or near 100%. Always will be exceptions.
Here's just one very recent report:

Originally Posted by jjmoore
On 8/6/2015, I flew M class SFO-DEN (no PN space available). At 24 hours, there were 6 seats still available in F. I ended up dropping down on the UG list to #5 approximately 20 hours before departure. When I got to the airport a couple hours prior to departure, I was #7 on the list, and only 1 seat in F was left (nobody was upgraded... either all revenue purchases / standard award purchases / re-booking of F pax from previous flights with missed connections).
It's not uncommon these days for F to book full on hub-to-hubs days in advance.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Here's just one very recent report:

It's not uncommon these days for F to book full on hub-to-hubs days in advance.
I also think that they're getting smarter about holding space back for IrOps.

A few months ago (booked F) they wound up FIMing me to American in F because of a maintenance issue and I made it clear I wouldn't accept a downgrade.

Last week I was talking the long way home, again in F (MCI-ORD-DCA-CLE), the ORD-DCA took a 1hr + MX delay so I would have misconnected in DCA... they pulled me off the aircraft and put me right into the last available F seat on a ORD-CLE.

(Somewhat proving my point of "I'd rather fly an extra segment than spend more time in ORD", the DCA-CLE flight I should have been on landed on time at 7pm. The ORD-CLE flight, scheduled to get in at 5-something, landed at 7:25....)
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Nowadays, my experience is that it is mostly cheaper to just purchase a domestic P or Z fare (sometimes even A) than a Y/B/M instant upgrade for transcons (mostly EWR-SNA, EWR-SAN, EWR-LAX, and EWR-SFO).
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Will fly SFO-DEN on Friday... ended up buying up for a fairly decent price from M to A.

Sunday, I will fly DEN-SFO again... My M class upgraded this morning finally after some PN opened up. First one of these I have had in a long while without paying up or accepting a middle seat in Y..
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Looking at UA 1922 SFO-EWR in October (20th). It's an internationally configured 752 (16 BF, 45 Y+, 108 Y-) UA.com says F9 A0 JN9 C0 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0. I'm probably going to book an M fare. As a 1k any guesses as to chances of PN inventory opening up?

Thanks all
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Looking at UA 1922 SFO-EWR in October (20th). It's an internationally configured 752 (16 BF, 45 Y+, 108 Y-) UA.com says F9 A0 JN9 C0 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0. I'm probably going to book an M fare. As a 1k any guesses as to chances of PN inventory opening up?

Thanks all
This far out and with F9+ based on my experience (but not on SFO-EWR specifically) I'd say it's almost certain -- though you may need to watch it closely as PN can open and close with little warning.

Though... isn't SFO-EWR PS (and do upgrades apply to PS routes?) I don't do transcon so I haven't paid much attention to that change/what it actually means.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT

Thanks all
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
This far out and with F9+ based on my experience (but not on SFO-EWR specifically) I'd say it's almost certain -- though you may need to watch it closely as PN can open and close with little warning.

Though... isn't SFO-EWR PS (and do upgrades apply to PS routes?) I don't do transcon so I haven't paid much attention to that change/what it actually means.
You need to use an RPU or a GPU for p.s. configured flights (including when they change to EWR in October from JFK). There are no Y/B/M fare upgrades on p.s. flights. Instrument only or pay for it.

So if you're on an M fare and you apply an instrument you have a very high chance of clearing. A "G" fare not as much.

-RM
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Looking at UA 1922 SFO-EWR in October (20th). ...
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You need to use an RPU or a GPU for p.s. configured flights (including when they change to EWR in October from JFK). There are no Y/B/M fare upgrades on p.s. flights. ...
The PS switch to EWR does not start until Oct 25th, so the OP's flight will be prior to the designation of flights from EWR as PS. So there is a reasonable likelihood the flight on 20th Oct is CPU eligible and therefore Instant Upgrade eligible. The regular EWR<>LAX lie flat aircraft has been CU eligible (but little chance of CPU).
The best wait to tell is for the OP to check once booked and see if the CPU flag is showing. Then OP can use the free 24 hour cancel if it is not.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The PS switch to EWR does not start until Oct 25th, so the OP's flight will be prior to the designation of flights from EWR as PS. So there is a reasonable likelihood the flight on 20th Oct is CPU eligible and therefore Instant Upgrade eligible. The regular EWR<>LAX lie flat aircraft has been CU eligible (but little chance of CPU).
The best wait to tell is for the OP to check once booked and see if the CPU flag is showing. Then OP can use the free 24 hour cancel if it is not.
Correct. Missed the exact date of the change. If it's before the JFK service moves to EWR then Y/B/M should still apply as well as CPU. An "M" fare booking into "PN" is highly likely IMO based on current loads.

-RM
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:52 pm

I'm probably going to book an M fare. As a 1k any guesses as to chances of PN inventory opening up?
Slightly higher than the risk of a swap to a less desirable aircraft.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:13 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I noticed something odd with an M fare yesterday. Was looking at IAD-ITO, and my choices for the outbound were in Z/P for paid F, or in M with PN available, or W for upgrade roulette.

If I booked paid Z/P on the outbound, the trip was cheaper than if I booked M on the outbound. Must have been some combinability rule, but booking M made the cheaper Y fares unavailable for the return (and bumped the return up enough that it was, overall, a more expensive ticket than paid F on the outbound).

Baffling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.