FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:28 pm
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by username
I have an open jaw trip. The outbound (aaa-IAH-bbb domestic) was booked on a refundable fare (L) and the continuation (bbb-EWR-yyy Canada) was booked into full Y for some reason. Did not get F at booking.

EWR-yyy is RJ so I am trying to get bbb-EWR which has PN and JN wide open.

On united.com, I have the U icon next to bbb-EWR.

I called for the Y-up upgrade. The agent put me on hold for a long time and came back saying she was waiting for a supervisor to see if this is a refundable fare before she can upgrade me. I told her to not worry about it.

So, what is the rule in this case?

Thanks.
Two very separate things here.

1. "L" fares are not refundable. I'm not aware of any single "L" fare code that is refundable but if you have one can you post the full fare code? I suspect it isn't refundable. But this is irrelevant to part 2.

2. Regardless of #1 above, you are eligible for the upgrade if you truly are booked in "Y". The website will show an Upgrade link next to the flight that you can upgrade, assuming you are Premier. Do not use the "Upgrade Reservation" link at the top - that doesn't work. Use the upgrade link you see for the individual flight from bbb to EWR. No need to call UA for this to process it.

By any chance is this not ticketed through United on 016 stock?

-RM