Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Baze
What is your status on UA? The instant upgrade is only available to people with status on UA.
But it shouldn't show on the reservations page unless it's available and the pax is qualified. Just like M upgrades only show if you're 1K.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
But it shouldn't show on the reservations page unless it's available and the pax is qualified. Just like M upgrades only show if you're 1K.
True, And I know that, but you never know when there is going to be a glitch and there is no indication of their status in the post or profile.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:02 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Kacee

I don't believe this is correct. M upgrades show up on my searches all the time, and I am not 1K.

Originally Posted by z8108
My company booked me a round trip international B ticket with domestic connection. Due to business need, I changed return. I looked a one-way B fare return in United web site, it showed a flight with instant UG available in domestic part. I changed to the flight, but instant B UG was not available. Called MP, no use. I was told instant UG was not available. That was a couple of days ago. I checked web site again today, it still has the same flight with instant B UG available. When checked seat map, there are three First seats available. What should I do to get the UG, it is a big deal as it is from coast to coast and 1/3 of total flight time. If someone is buying that ticket in B, will he/she get the instant UG? If not, will you be pissed off?
This could be because you do not have premier status (silver or higher) on UA. In that case, you still have two choices:

(1) Pay the difference out of pocket between the B fare and the lowest first class fare. This difference is usually small.

(2) Upgrade with 5,000 miles. If you do not have the miles, you can purchase them at united.com for $70. There is usually great availability for this type of upgrade.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:07 pm

I got my 1K last year due to a lot of business travels. But was not traveled that much before. The agent checked domestic portion alone and said not first class seat available when I called.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got my 1K last year due to a lot of business travels. But was not traveled that much before. The agent checked domestic portion alone and said not first class seat available when I called.
Thank you. Instant upgrades are capacity controlled so just because there is a seat open and it offers the instant upgrade to you does not mean you won't be wait listed.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:15 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
I understand now. B fares are fully refundable; ask the agent -- or check by yourself -- what is the difference in fare between the B fare and the lowest first class fare (typically P or A). In some cases the P fare might be lower than the B fare. In some cases the A fare might be within $100 of the B fare.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.. I changed to the flight, but instant B UG was not available. Called MP, no use. I was told instant UG was not available. That was a couple of days ago. I checked web site again today, it still has the same flight with instant B UG available. When checked seat map, there are three First seats available. ..
Instant upgrade on B fare requires PN/P inventory. Typically for domestic flights PN/P is close to the same as F except for maybe the last seat. If you can see Instant Upgrade for B/M fares on a dummy booking, but not your booked reservation, it is worth another call.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by txp
I don't believe this is correct. M upgrades show up on my searches all the time, and I am not 1K.
I just signed out and ran a search, you're correct. I should have said they used to only show if the pax was eligible. Now it describes the "fare" as eligible as opposed to the particular flight. Not sure when they made these changes, but they are rather misleading because the reference to an instant upgrade implies the upgrade is available.

Originally Posted by Baze
Thank you. Instant upgrades are capacity controlled so just because there is a seat open and it offers the instant upgrade to you does not mean you won't be wait listed.
If you search using expert mode on united.com, PN is the instant upgrade fare class for a B fare. If PN>0, the instant upgrade is available. Otherwise you will be put on the waitlist.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP says he's 1K, he's on a B fare and the Instant Upgrade symbol was there. The only reason he might not have obtained the UG was that somebody else grabbed it before he did.

He likely now goes into the UG lottery, but at a pretty high standing. Only people ahead of him:
1. GS
2. Any elite on Y
Old Sep 29, 2013, 5:00 pm

I understand the situation when seat is not available, I wont get the upgrade. But how come UA is still selling the tickets with instant upgrade symbol down there when I do a dummy booking with the same flight.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I understand the situation when seat is not available, I wont get the upgrade. But how come UA is still selling the tickets with instant upgrade symbol down there when I do a dummy booking with the same flight.
B seats are still available. At this point, the "instant upgrade" note is saying that purchasing the B ticket makes you eligible for an upgrade - if a F seat is, or becomes, available. You're still allowed to buy a refundable B fare ticket.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But it has to be available in the correct bucket. Just because a seat is empty and being sold does not mean it is in the fare bucket an instant upgrade can go into. And as far as I have seen you will always get the symbol on a Y/B fare and it states as IAH-OIL-TRASH points out.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
I just learned that married segments will remove P/PN availability. I'm have a SAN-IAD-GVA itin in B, and the SAN-IAD leg has P3/PN3 right now, but married it is zero. I find it completely frustrating that agents don't understand why that is the case, and I had to point out the possibility of the married segment causing the issue.

Avoiding through flights I am good at, but married segments are a bit harder to avoid in high fare buckets without paying more.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sandiegofun
I just learned that married segments will remove P/PN availability. I'm have a SAN-IAD-GVA itin in B, and the SAN-IAD leg has P3/PN3 right now, but married it is zero. I find it completely frustrating that agents don't understand why that is the case, and I had to point out the possibility of the married segment causing the issue.

Avoiding through flights I am good at, but married segments are a bit harder to avoid in high fare buckets without paying more.
I think that only impacts the display you see while booking. I.e., once booked in B for the domestic leg you should then be able to see a link to upgrade that leg if there is PN space available. Of course the GVA leg doesn't get upgraded since it's international.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by pdx1M
I think that only impacts the display you see while booking. I.e., once booked in B for the domestic leg you should then be able to see a link to upgrade that leg if there is PN space available. Of course the GVA leg doesn't get upgraded since it's international.
I see plenty of P/PN space only if I search by the first leg, if I search the outbound itin SAN-IAD-GVA then the P/PN disappears on the first leg. 3 phone agents told me in the end it is a married segment issue, and I can't get it to clear at all either by phone or on booking summary. I know that this only applies to domestic leg, but it is still absurd that the married segment issue applies to instant upgrades the same as it applies to upgrade instruments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.