Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I have yet another very simple solution....

Million Milers trump all others for upgrades.^

I have over $380K lifetime spend on Continental and United, and more importantly 10-12 years more left as a 200K+ a year flyer.
FWIW, I don't have time for Mileage Runs.

Why should I be prioritized behind some upstart that spent $40K last year?
Old May 28, 2012, 11:44 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in CUZCO, PERU
Premier 1K Instant Upgrade Fare: FINALLY a change I like

Just booked my first Premier 1K Instant Upgrade Fare for a not-crazy expensive ($881) domestic ticket to a destination (DCA-SBN) that I could not do with my spiffy new AA EXPLAT status casue you can't get there from here on AA. I rarely got Y-up fares on old UA on a route/fare like that. So maybe I finally stumbled on a change I actually like...CO Elite Upgrade fares.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Just booked my first Premier 1K Instant Upgrade Fare for a not-crazy expensive ($881)
I see that as a savings of $13 vs. the fare published in A-class (HUAUP1) to the general public. It'd take a lot more than $13 to get excited over this benefit, or am I missing something?
Old May 28, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Yes I love these too! I always take a 1K's free upgrade with these fares. All my fares are Y and B!
Old May 28, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
I see that as a savings of $13 vs. the fare published in A-class (HUAUP1) to the general public. It'd take a lot more than $13 to get excited over this benefit, or am I missing something?
No, you're not missing anything.

CO has long offered almost-affordable B fares, which makes PN availability a nice deal.
Old May 28, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
If you are under a travel policy that prohibits purchase of A-class, it's an epic difference.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by RedHeadFlyer
If you are under a travel policy that prohibits purchase of A-class, it's an epic difference.
HUAUP1 is not A-class fare.

Or, rather, it is as much A-class as the M-UP fare.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ryman554
HUAUP1 is not A-class fare.

Or, rather, it is as much A-class as the M-UP fare.
There is actually a quite significant difference in the two.

If one books the HUAUP1 fare it books directly into the F cabin and that's how the purchase shows up on the receipts. If one books the M/B/Y-Up fares they can be upgraded at any time the PN or JN inventory is available. That means the flight can be purchased in coach and then freely upgraded after the ticket is issued and, more importantly, the receipt is cut showing a coach fare. It also means that it can be upgraded later in the cycle if the inventory shows up but wasn't available at the time of purchase. On an HUAUP1 if the A inventory isn't there at time of booking you're stuck in coach.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sbm12
On an HUAUP1 if the A inventory isn't there at time of booking you're stuck in coach.
Will the United website offer you the HUAUP1 as an option on a flight if A inventory is not available at the time of booking? I think if you search by coach you won't be offered an H-up and if you search by business first you will only be offered the H-up if there is A space. But I haven't tried this in awhile.

That's not to say you might not be able to book the HUP without A available via a different means than the United website. But I know even less about that than I know about the website. Which isn't saying much.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:24 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by sbm12
There is actually a quite significant difference in the two.

If one books the HUAUP1 fare it books directly into the F cabin and that's how the purchase shows up on the receipts. If one books the M/B/Y-Up fares they can be upgraded at any time the PN or JN inventory is available. That means the flight can be purchased in coach and then freely upgraded after the ticket is issued and, more importantly, the receipt is cut showing a coach fare. It also means that it can be upgraded later in the cycle if the inventory shows up but wasn't available at the time of purchase. On an HUAUP1 if the A inventory isn't there at time of booking you're stuck in coach.
/disagree. If you come to bebooked on a HUAUP1 fare in Y, an A is no available, I would revaldate the ticket for that booking code without charging a dime. If this was the old UA with Apollo/Fastair, I would even add you to the FFCC list if it din't clear after itwas brought to my attention at the gate. An instant upgrade fare isn't FFCC elligible (assuming that CO <I mean UA> at one time or another develops something like that...if they haven't already, as I am not sure how to use their system.)

By the way, given my screename, can you guys start a fan club for me and contribute funds for my discretional use?
Old May 28, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
So how do you find out what is a Premier 1K Instant Upgrade Fare?
Old May 28, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by honmani2
So how do you find out what is a Premier 1K Instant Upgrade Fare?
This thread might be helpful

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...does-work.html
Old May 28, 2012, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by fastair
/disagree. If you come to bebooked on a HUAUP1 fare in Y, an A is no available, I would revaldate the ticket for that booking code without charging a dime.
Would an sCO agent do the same?

(A lot of good info here, thanks. All of my business tix are booked by a third party, so I don't see the "U" at booking, and haven't booked a UA flight since 3/3 yet.)
Old May 28, 2012, 7:34 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in CUZCO, PERU
The deets are beyond me. But I have been flying DCA-SBN for a long time. And sadly I've paid $600-$1000 quite a bit. Not out of my pocket, but certainly out of my budget. And for the first time ever it 'seated' directly into F rather than having to wait/apply upgrade instruments.

My wife, a 3-4-5 consultant, says many people she used to work with would book as late as possible in order to hold out for CO Elite Upgrade fares. And that that's why 3-4-5s loved CO.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
/disagree. If you come to bebooked on a HUAUP1 fare in Y, an A is no available, I would revaldate the ticket for that booking code without charging a dime.
But what sbm12 was saying is that, generally, you can't "come to be booked" on a HUAUP1 fare in Y, barring a 1-class connecting flight or irregular ops. If no A inventory is available, the booking engine will default to a true coach fare, and then you'll "be stuck in coach." And I don't think you can waitlist for the discounted FC inventory required to book these -UP fares either, although it might depend on the specific rules of the fare, which likely vary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.