Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2023]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by michaelmorio
I have a question about upgrading an international Premium Economy (R fare) flight. My status is UA Gold and I don't have Plus Points to use. The flight I am thinking of booking is between ICN and SFO. According to my quick check, upgrading requires $450 co-pay plus 30K UA miles. Did I get it right?
Other questions are as follows:
I don't have enough miles in my UA account now. But I can trasfer miles from my Chase account anytime. Can I still request an upgrade without enough miles in the UA account? ...
No
2. How close in to the flight do these upgrades usually clear ...
While there is a chance this may clear, depending on the day of the week, but if you do clear, it will be most likely the day of travel.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I would appreciate if anyone can help me with the following questions.

I have a question about upgrading an international Premium Economy (R fare) flight. My status is UA Gold and I don't have Plus Points to use. The flight I am thinking of booking is between ICN and SFO. According to my quick check, upgrading requires $450 co-pay plus 30K UA miles. Did I get it right?
Other questions are as follows:

1. I don't have enough miles in my UA account now. But I can trasfer miles from my Chase account anytime. Can I still request an upgrade without enough miles in the UA account?
2. How close in to the flight do these upgrades usually clear? My concern is that if it's too close, say like at the boarding gate, I might not be able to do the necessary mile transfer. I never logged into my Chase account from overseas and I don't know if it could trigger some security issues.

Thank you.
michaelmorio
Unless there are positive upgrade spaces, your upgrade request will be waitlisted, and there are no guarantees the request will clear. Upgrade clearing vary based on a lot of factors - see upgrade priority on UA site and your flight's specific inventory.

You have to submit the request to have a chance at upgrading, but be mindful any miles transferred cannot be reversed to Chase if your upgrade request does not clear.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 4:23 pm

Quick maybe dumb question but figure this would be best place for it. Flying YEG-DEN-SJU on January 17th in first class. Pretty tight connection was wondering if United could/would change the first leg leaving YEG 300pm on the 16th. Wasn't worried about the connection until the weather took a turn for worse up north. Any chance they would do this for just a change fee or am I SOL.
Thanks in advance appreciate any input.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:00 pm

Is it possible to combine one segment booked with miles with another booked with cash? By combine I mean in any logical way that means I have no trouble checking in etc since of course both segments would be on UA just purchased separately.

Since I don’t feel confident I’d get an upgrade on the waitlist from Economy to Business. I have no status.

Say

RDU-EWR-SFO-EWR-RDU Premium Plus award

SFO-DPS-SIN-SFO Paid ticket with $$$

My other option is Singapore Premium Economy but I’m not convinced that is as nice as Premium Plus. My first PP flight is in May and this would be in December.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rogerhud
Quick maybe dumb question but figure this would be best place for it. Flying YEG-DEN-SJU on January 17th in first class. Pretty tight connection was wondering if United could/would change the first leg leaving YEG 300pm on the 16th. Wasn't worried about the connection until the weather took a turn for worse up north. Any chance they would do this for just a change fee or am I SOL.
Thanks in advance appreciate any input.
To the 6AM?

If you present flights meets the minimum connect time or there is no travel waiver, this would be a voluntary change. UA does not have change fees but the fare would be re-calculated.

You can hope for a weather waiver.
Unless you have UA status, Same Day Change is not an option but Standby is (and is free).

To a day earlier -- standby is not an option unless you hit a very generous airport agent. and not likely in first, as all upgrade waitlisters are cleared first and then standby.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Is it possible to combine one segment booked with miles with another booked with cash? ...
as a single PNR , No.

By combine I mean in any logical way that means I have no trouble checking in etc since of course both segments would be on UA just purchased separately.....
You can check thru bags across two separate PNRs, either UA-UA or UA-SQ as long as no Basic Economy segments
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Is it possible to combine one segment booked with miles with another booked with cash? By combine I mean in any logical way that means I have no trouble checking in etc since of course both segments would be on UA just purchased separately.

Since I don’t feel confident I’d get an upgrade on the waitlist from Economy to Business. I have no status.

Say

RDU-EWR-SFO-EWR-RDU Premium Plus award

SFO-DPS-SIN-SFO Paid ticket with $$$

My other option is Singapore Premium Economy but I’m not convinced that is as nice as Premium Plus. My first PP flight is in May and this would be in December.
You should fly both and judge for yourself. Based on my experience, SQ PE is better than UA PE in every aspect.

You can't combine two different itineraries.

Last edited by Repooc17; Jan 13, 2024 at 5:17 pm
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To the 6AM?

If you present flights meets the minimum connect time or there is no travel waiver, this would be a voluntary change. UA does not have change fees but the fare would be re-calculated.

You can hope for a weather waiver.
Unless you have UA status, Same Day Change is not an option but Standby is (and is free).

To a day earlier -- standby is not an option unless you hit a very generous airport agent. and not likely in first, as all upgrade waitlisters are cleared first and then standby.
was hoping the 3pm one..I will hope for weather waiver or ride it out thanks for the answer
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:26 pm

No
While there is a chance this may clear, depending on the day of the week, but if you do clear, it will be most likely the day of travel.
Thank you for your response.

I am thinking of flying on either Monday or Tuesday. How these days of the week sound?

michaelmoiro

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Unless there are positive upgrade spaces, your upgrade request will be waitlisted, and there are no guarantees the request will clear. Upgrade clearing vary based on a lot of factors - see upgrade priority on UA site and your flight's specific inventory.

You have to submit the request to have a chance at upgrading, but be mindful any miles transferred cannot be reversed to Chase if your upgrade request does not clear.
Thank you for your response.
There are no award or upgrade space for me (UA Gold) available for the flights I am looking at. It's one month out and biz occupancy is fairly light as well as overall all-class booking. Do UA accept all upgrade requests till the last biz class seat on board?

michaelmorio

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 13, 2024 at 5:58 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 13, 2024, 6:03 pm

I am thinking of flying on either Monday or Tuesday. How these days of the week sound?
Wednesday and maybe tuesday are considered the best

.... Do UA accept all upgrade requests till the last biz class seat on board?
Yes, but there are many, many elites that don't book until the last week or two

Chances are poor for a gold but not impossible
Old Jan 13, 2024, 6:51 pm

Wednesday and maybe tuesday are considered the best

Yes, but there are many, many elites that don't book until the last week or two

Chances are poor for a gold but not impossible
I see. Thank you again for your quick response.

michaelmorio
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:29 pm

Hi United Sages,

So due to a variety of factors, what was to be an award Air Canada flight to Japan for the marathon is now IAD-SFO-PPT with the wife for the 10th anniversary (or 90th pandemic-time-adjusted). It’s 787-8 the whole way and we are booked in X via Aeroplan (not ideal but lemonade from the lemons of an injured knee). I can’t upgrade to PE or Polaris now on the United site - is this something I’ll likely be able to do at check in with cash/credit/spare kidneys? Flight is late February.

I do have an economy plus subscription so I was able to nab the premium-plus-but-not-premium-plus purple seats for the IAD-SFO portion. I’d love to be able to upgrade the SFO-PPT legs but I don’t see a way to do that until game time. I’m afraid my mileage plus status is only member at the moment.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jquagga
I can’t upgrade to PE or Polaris now on the United site - is this something I’ll likely be able to do at check in
They may offer upgrades for cash at some point, but not generally very far in advance. There is really no other way to upgrade an award.

I do have an economy plus subscription so I was able to nab the premium-plus-but-not-premium-plus purple seats for the IAD-SFO portion.
You should be able to book Economy Plus seats for all United segments. Note that Economy Plus is not the same as Premium Plus. Premium Plus is a separate cabin with improved seats and service standards, while Economy Plus is just a bit more legroom in the Economy cabin.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Economy Plus is not the same as Premium Plus. Premium Plus is a separate cabin with improved seats and service standards, while Economy Plus is just a bit more legroom in the Economy cabin.
True, but if the 787 sticks on IAD-SFO, since that market doesn’t have Premium Plus, OP is quite correct that an E+ subscription allows you to select those seats if available.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I can’t upgrade to PE or Polaris now on the United site - is this something I’ll likely be able to do at check in with cash/credit/spare kidneys? Flight is late February.
It's hit or miss. Sometimes an upgrade will be offered for sale immediately after booking, sometimes at check-in, and sometimes not at all. Presumably there's a rationale on the UA side, but on the consumer side it's not transparent at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.