Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2023]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2024]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA "sales" are rarely a good deal.

The way to find good premium cabin fares is to (a) watch the Premium Fare Deals forum (as already noted), and (b) keep checking googleflights on a frequent basis.

Originally Posted by zitsky
But, as we all know, business class to Asia is $10K plus pp from the East Coast USA.
$10k???

You can find $6k fares from JFK or ORD without even trying. $4-5k is pretty common, and occasionally a real bargain pops up.
artvandalay and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:42 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Hello - I have a few newbie-ish questions.

Recently I took a roundtrip flight in the same class.

Question 1) I noticed that the outbound flight earned more miles and more PQPs than the inbound flight - 22% more miles. Is that supposed to happen?

Question 2) Does United publish somewhere what the expected number of miles per airport pair?

Question 3) On the inbound, I received a "Day of departure upgrade" of a X PQPs. But I didn't actually get an upgrade on the flight. What is this?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by dtc
Hello - I have a few newbie-ish questions.

Recently I took a roundtrip flight in the same class.

Question 1) I noticed that the outbound flight earned more miles and more PQPs than the inbound flight - 22% more miles. Is that supposed to happen?

Question 2) Does United publish somewhere what the expected number of miles per airport pair?

Question 3) On the inbound, I received a "Day of departure upgrade" of a X PQPs. But I didn't actually get an upgrade on the flight. What is this?
1) Your outbound and return do not have to be the same. Assuming you have made no changes, you can refer to your original reservation for specific segment breakdown with miles and PQP.

2) No. Flight miles are now based on the fare you paid, so your miles earned may be completely different than someone else with the same itinerary.

3) Did you purchase paid upgrades? Which cabin did you buy initially? Which cabin was your seat on the flown flight(s)?
jsloan, dtc and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:18 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
3) Did you purchase paid upgrades? Which cabin did you buy initially? Which cabin was your seat on the flown flight(s)?
For both my outbound and inbound, I was originally in Y - but during seat selection I upgraded to Y+. Then a few weeks later, I upgraded both to Premium Plus. I only received the "Day of departure" PQP for the inbound, and not the outbound - which is why I'm confused.

I'm so used the old ways where things were symmetrical.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtc
For both my outbound and inbound, I was originally in Y - but during seat selection I upgraded to Y+. Then a few weeks later, I upgraded both to Premium Plus. I only received the "Day of departure" PQP for the inbound, and not the outbound - which is why I'm confused.

I'm so used the old ways where things were symmetrical.
The Premium Plus upgrades will generate "Day of Departure" PQP for the entire amount spent. They sometimes take an extra day or two to post after the flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For a mid-March 2-segment flight, I'm being offered a wifi all-day pass for $16.

1) Can you buy such passes elsewhere for cheaper?
2) Can you use Travel Bank funds to purchase?
3) Does it get more expensive the nearer the flight?
4) Is there still a thread here where people can ask and offer United Club access for specific dates/times?
5) Can United Club passes be purchased on 3rd party sites?

Thank you!

(former 1K and Premier Platinum; now dirt )

[Oops. Posted in wrong thread; mods alerted]
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cblaisd
For a mid-March 2-segment flight, I'm being offered a wifi all-day pass for $16.

1) Can you buy such passes elsewhere for cheaper?
2) Can you use Travel Bank funds to purchase?
3) Does it get more expensive the nearer the flight?...
Domestic UA Internet access pricing is standardize is $8 per segment. If using a MP branded credit card with inflight discounts, you will get a $2 credit
4) Is there still a thread here where people can ask and offer United Club access for specific dates/times?...
Yes, The United Club Meet-Up Thread
Has gotten a lot less active now the *G guest must be on the same flight as the *G (*A rule)
UC members do not have that limitation (in their T&Cs ), just same day *A flight
5) Can United Club passes be purchased on 3rd party sites?
Yes but the risk at a few airports is access is blocked to one-time pass users due to crowding.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:18 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Domestic UA Internet access pricing is standardize is $8 per segment. If using a MP branded credit card with inflight discounts, you will get a $2 credit
Is the discount only for in-flight purchase?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is the discount only for in-flight purchase?
no, appears it works for per-purchase, inflight use. Not much reason to purchase in advance as the price is unchanged, Discount also applies to subscriptions for in-flight internet.
cblaisd, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Not long ago, there was a day pass (or 24 hours from first activation) being offered. Now the website says day pass, but you are still being charged by the segment.

For domestic flights, there are no reasons to buy wifi ahead of time. And, in the likely case the plane has no wifi, you would not be out temporarily the money, and having to seek refund.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:20 pm

I want to fly to Singapore from RDU. So I think I need to book RDU-EWR separately because Singapore Airlines doesn’t know about RDU. It’s cheaper than booking it all through United RDU-EWR-DPS-SIN-EWR-RDU.

Or is there a way to book this all through SA? Or book through United and save money? There is a premium going out of RDU.

It’s just convenience really.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:44 pm

I want to fly to Singapore from RDU. So I think I need to book RDU-EWR separately because Singapore Airlines doesn’t know about RDU. It’s cheaper than booking it all through United RDU-EWR-DPS-SIN-EWR-RDU.

Or is there a way to book this all through SA? Or book through United and save money? There is a premium going out of RDU.

It’s just convenience really.
Try Google flights and see if they will link you to the SQ site booking the long haul SQ flight. UA can not book the SQ longhual flights, SQ blocks them. (plating restrictions)
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Try Google flights and see if they will link you to the SQ site booking the long haul SQ flight. UA can not book the SQ longhual flights, SQ blocks them. (plating restrictions)
I know I live in a rough neighborhood if I can’t book a flight because of how an airline serves dinner.

(what are plating restrictions?)

Thank you!
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know I live in a rough neighborhood if I can’t book a flight because of how an airline serves dinner.

(what are plating restrictions?)

Thank you!
Plating restrictions limit whether a flight operated by one airline can be booked on another airline's ticket stock.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ codeshares with AS and B6 (along with UA) on many domestic routes. Some routes are just not possible ticketing the entire journey within *A on one ticket.

If you have to fly *A but it is not SQ codeshared, then consider buying a separate ticket with higher than normal amount of time in between.

Actually, if you are flying EWR to SIN nonstop, that flight leaves in early morning. I would just get whatever flight the day before, where B6 or UA on separate tickets.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.