Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by swiftaw
Would this all be airside?
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Yes. A Pro of IAD, I know. Surprising
Exactly, at IAD every gate is accessible from every other gate airside. Yet another option, if you do want a bit of walking, is to take the D<>main building buggy, and then walk the pedestrian tunnel over to the A/B concourse. This will put you in the middle of the concourse, not too far from the TK lounge.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
From the main building, I like to walk to A/B. But I don’t mind walking, and it might be my exercise for the day. When going from C/D to A/B, I usually take the train. Bit of a walk since under the proposed future C/D site, but it is fast and comes up in A/B right near th LH lounge.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
Also, in the mornings, the BA lounge close to the B train station should be accessible through PP.
The BA lounge does not open in the morning, I think it opens around 3pm.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:53 am

As I understand it, the BA and AF lounges are open in the morning till 2pm for PP holders, but don’t put out much food till after 2, when their own flyers start arriving, and they often turn people away. I’ll be at IAD later today, maybe I will try.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rkj2106
Anyone been to the IAD TK lounge using Priority Pass lately? Flying out of IAD tomorrow afternoon and wanted to know if they are doing capacity restriction shenanigans like other Priority Pass affiliated lounges...
so, was it crowded?

my experience is in the mid-late afternoon, and it was packed - we had to go upstairs (which I don’t think is open at non-peak). I think the TK flight leaves pretty late, but it’s the lounge Saudia uses - that flight leaves ~6:00pm IIRC, and so gets crowded in mid-late afternoon from that - there were definitely lots of folks on that flight last time I was there. But no problem being admitted (though i cant remember if I used my *G status or PP to enter, at the time).
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
my experience is in the mid-late afternoon, and it was packed - we had to go upstairs (which I don’t think is open at non-peak). ...
I've been there a bunch of times and didn't know there was an upstairs.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by joe_miami
I've been there a bunch of times and didn't know there was an upstairs.
there's a stairway that goes up to the right side where the Turkish tea machine is. I was invited up there by the chef one day and he showed me around and we chatted a bit. It was originally designed as a VIP space for dignitaries, but since the overcrowding issue they have a need for space so I'm assuming they have improvised.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Thanks. I'll look for it next time. It was packed my last visit in late 2017, but I don't believe they had the upstairs open.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Artpen100
As I understand it, the BA and AF lounges are open in the morning till 2pm for PP holders, but don’t put out much food till after 2, when their own flyers start arriving, and they often turn people away. I’ll be at IAD later today, maybe I will try.
OK, thanks for the clarification.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:33 pm

Turkish lounge has a few seats left, but the people on the 6-7 bank of flights are just showing up, I think. Lamb and curry pasta are good. They have Myanmar beer, which I’ve never seen before.LH Sen is about as crowded. Has pork loin with potatoes, carrots and Brussel sprouts, plus the usual small sandwiches. Wish they’d bring back the burger sliders. They’ve changed their cava.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 9, 2018 at 7:31 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Artpen100
LH Sen is about as crowded. Has pork loin with potatoes, carrots and Brussel sprouts, plus the usual small sandwiches. Wish they’d bring back the burger sliders. They’ve changed their cava.
I had the Cava the other day (was not impressed) started drinking Johnny black instead. In the past they catered a true champagne for the first class passengers in the evening (I asked for that however at around 1 o'clock in the afternoon the lady said it wasn't chilled yet) I think the club is starting to show some wear as well. Not sure if they're cutting back or that's just the state of affairs. I still enjoy it!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
If the D<>A buggy is running, then that's probably the quickest, but there is a fair walk from the A dock to the lounges. Otherwise I would suggest the D<>main building buggy, and then connect to the train to B.
My preferred route too. D>A buggy, C>A train. I would never take the B train, the walk from the A train stop to the LH/TK lounge is shorter than the B stop to the same lounges, for some reason the B stop is really far away from the actual B terminal.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
So I'll be in IAD from about 4pm to 6:30pm, looking at the LH departures they have one at about 7pm and then one much later in the evening, whereas Turkish seems to only have a late night departure. This would seem to imply that the Turkish lounge might be much less busy during my time there.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by swiftaw
So I'll be in IAD from about 4pm to 6:30pm, looking at the LH departures they have one at about 7pm and then one much later in the evening, whereas Turkish seems to only have a late night departure. This would seem to imply that the Turkish lounge might be much less busy during my time there.
TK takes Priority Pass, which LH doesn't, and TK seems to have contracts with some other airlines like Saudia... So it does seem to stay busy
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
My preferred route too. D>A buggy, C>A train. I would never take the B train, the walk from the A train stop to the LH/TK lounge is shorter than the B stop to the same lounges, for some reason the B stop is really far away from the actual B terminal.
I think you've confused the concourses at IAD. First, the LH lounge is closer to the B train stop than the A stop. Even the TK lounge is marginally closer to the B stop even though it is farther the B-A concourse than LH.

The C train terminal is the one a long way from the C-D concourse. There is a reason for this, of course. The C train stop is where the long planned (and currently dormant, AFAIK) new mid-field terminal will be. That terminal would be built while the current C-D remained operational hence it is farther down the field than the current 30+ year old "temporary" mid-field terminal which UA calls home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.