Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mh3265a
I had the same issue with the Turkish lounge back in January but it was a late AM flight for me. The LH lounge was also packed. I have to admit the quality at both lounges has gone down hill IMHO. I was not particularly impressed with the Turkish Lounge. It looked old and worn even thought it's relatively new.
The food was also better and more varied when it (TK) first opened. Also the liquor has apparently been subject to cost savings measures.

Still somewhat nicer than United's, but not so markedly better as once.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:53 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Having visited the TK and LH lounges both in October and March, the quality of food at TK does seem to be falling off (still decent and far better than UA's lounges, though). The crowds at TK are just insane. We at least managed to find a seat this past time, but any time either of us got up to go get food or drink, several people would ask if the seat was still taken...

As to the crowd, it did seem that a lot of them weren't flying TK--there was a Saudi flight called which seemed to be a popular one with the lounge guests right as we were leaving to walk to our CM flight (which was delayed ~1h; wish CM would actually post the delay, as we'd have stayed in the lounge another 20 minutes).
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by fumje
The food was also better and more varied when it (TK) first opened. Also the liquor has apparently been subject to cost savings measures.

Still somewhat nicer than United's, but not so markedly better as once.
Yep that was my assessment as well. The UCs aren't great but I felt in better condition and obviously closer to all UA flights. I think LH Sen lounge is good post 12noon when there is more of a booze option but the champagne there now is AWFUL!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:24 pm

Where does the United International First lounge fit into the hierarchy of IAD lounges?

LH Senator > United First > TK?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Hmmmm, good question.

IMHO, United First > Turkish for booze, but I found the food offerings in Turkish > United First.

Have not been to LH Senator in IAD so cannot comment.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jchock1
Where does the United International First lounge fit into the hierarchy of IAD lounges?

Originally Posted by big V
Hmmmm, good question.

IMHO, United First > Turkish for booze, but I found the food offerings in Turkish > United First.

Have not been to LH Senator in IAD so cannot comment.
Unless I am confused, LH SEN in IAD is just a cordoned area in the regular lounge. So not particularly better.

I have only been to the First lounge once, but I would say it's best of the options.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:49 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
UA GFL > Tk > LH > UC imho. We need the Centurion lounge that has been advertised, followed by a Polaris lounge. One can dream.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Unless I am confused, LH SEN in IAD is just a cordoned area in the regular lounge. So not particularly better.

I have only been to the First lounge once, but I would say it's best of the options.
There are separate LH business and Senator lounges and then within the Senator lounge is a cordoned off area for First Class and HON flyers.

This weekend I visited the TK lounge twice (Saturday morning and Monday evening) and the LH Senator lounge Monday evening. I managed to hit times when both lounges were fairly quiet, although the TK lounge was a bit busy Monday evening.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
If I am arriving from LHR and connecting to SAN through IAD but in Y not Polaris, what are my lounge options at IAD? I can also access AMEX and affiliated lounges such as Priority Pass, AS, etc. I am *G.

I am arriving in the morning, 11am and departing at 12.30pm so not long and my recollection is that getting through TSA at IAD is a zoo as no TSA-pre (which is a reason I try and avoid IAD for connections home usually ). I will be in IAD on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
​​
if I have more than one option which would you recommend, and why. I am unable to get a consensus from the recent postings I reviewed.

TIA

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Jun 12, 2018 at 8:20 am
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Not a lot of time at IAD

I assume that your LHR flight will arrive on time. There is not enough time to 1) go thru the immigration at Terminal C (assuming UA flight from LHR) AND 2) take a train to Terminal B and back to either C or D to catch SAN flight. The train trip is about 40 min. Alternatively, you go thru the immigration at the Main Terminal. There is Pre-Check there. Then, you take a train to Terminal B for lounge and train back to either Terminal C or D for your SAN flight. If your LHR flight arrives 20-30 min earlier, this might be a viable option. Good luck.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
There are separate LH business and Senator lounges and then within the Senator lounge is a cordoned off area for First Class and HON flyers.

This weekend I visited the TK lounge twice (Saturday morning and Monday evening) and the LH Senator lounge Monday evening. I managed to hit times when both lounges were fairly quiet, although the TK lounge was a bit busy Monday evening.
Ah, right. Thanks for clarifying; I always get the LH status names mixed up.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
If I am arriving from LHR and connecting to SAN through IAD but in Y not Polaris, what are my lounge options at IAD? I can also access AMEX and affiliated lounges such as Priority Pass, AS, etc. I am *G.
With that set, you have access to almost every lounge at IAD except the GFL (United Club, LH, TK, AF, BA, VS). If you only have 1h30 arrival-to-departure though, I would just use the United Club. It's definitely the worst lounge, but with that little time I wouldn't want to add the trek around the A/B concourse just for 15 minutes in a nicer lounge. Timing permitting, I might even just stand in the gate area.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Ah, right. Thanks for clarifying; I always get the LH status names mixed up.
The cordoned off first class are is a bit of a joke. Basically if you're in first class you get a rose on your table; that's the only difference. :-)
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by jchock1

LH Sen has best food, TK second, but GFL has the best champagne. Go early and visit two or three.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I agree you'll have to get lucky in flight arrival, immigration and security to make the trek to the B lounges (they are all next to each other, near the B train stop) worthwhile. If I were on that itinerary, the reason I might push it is to shower. IME, it's about 10-12 minutes by train one-way between B and C (but you have to walk fast, as the C train station is actually in West Virginia). LH and TK have showers, but UCs do not; I don't know about the others. For a quick stop, I'd go to whichever had the food I wanted in the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.