Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Sorry if this should be posted elsewhere... Have a long layover (4 hours) at Dulles. Flying in Polaris Business and wondering what lounge I should spend my time in. One of the United Clubs or venture to the other concourse. Is the Lufthansa business lounge or Turkish lounge worth a visit?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Turkish lounge is the best IMO. Definitely worth your time, and not too hard to get to. Just take the train or shuttle to A, then walk over to B. Next best would be Lufthansa, better than UA clubs but not too spectacular. I'd definitely try Turkish. It is very nice.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Concur, TK > LH > UA. But with four hours, you might as well see them all. The TK lounge's advantage is greater early in the day; until early- to mid-afternoon, the food at LH isn't that special. Bar service is better there, though.

If you have a Priority Pass card, the AF lounge by the A-concourse train stop is also worth a visit before it closes to PP guests at... what, 4 p.m.?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Another vote for TK.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I'll do a diplomatic posting in Germany and Turkey and then earn hazard pay and a promotion in the 3rd world of terminals C and D. #loungestruggles #firstworldcrisis #doucheypost
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
TK > LH > AF (PP) > BA (PP) > UA

imho
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I have a slightly different view... would go LH>TK>UA, but that is dependent on the time of day.

I am a relatively frequent visitor to all three lounges and find the TK lounge crazy in the afternoon. Also, power ports and a place to work are important to me. The TK lounge has very limited places to plug in and no high tops to sit and work at like the LH and UA lounges.

On the food front, you can't go wrong with TK or LH, and both are better than anything UA has at IAD. I personally love Mediterranean so I'd go for the TK food.

Just my two cents.

Edit: realize you have 4 hours. In that case, go to both of them if you feel like getting a change of scenery. The IAD UA clubs are totally ok to skip IMO.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
+1 for TK. Superb place to spend a couple of hours and in a different league to the usual UA dumps at IAD....
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Whether you have time or not, simply skip the UA lounges. Spend more time at LH and TK lounge.

There is absolutely no need to try the UA lounges. Why? For a good laugh? Don't waste your time, IMHO.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
TK has been so crowded lately, I have been going to LH more. LH also has sparkling wine/champagne, and German beers, which TK does not. But with 4 hours, check out both. UA clubs are only worth visiting if you have little time, since they are at the C/D gates, or to pick up a newspaper.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up Ditto

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Whether you have time or not, simply skip the UA lounges. Spend more time at LH and TK lounge.

There is absolutely no need to try the UA lounges. Why? For a good laugh? Don't waste your time, IMHO.
Absolutely agree.

I would skip the BA lounge (access via Priority Pass).
They have limited selection, until they kick out the PP folks.
IMHO, I never give them the "satisfaction" (entrance fee from a PP swipe).
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

+1!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
TK lounge wins, hands down, in IAD (as others have noted). I don't think I've stepped foot in a UA lounge at IAD for over 2 years. However, if you want a proper glass of Champagne, best option is either LH Senator lounge or Air France lounge (accessed via PP, although closed to PP members during the early-evening rush).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Echo everything above. TK > LH > AF > BA > > > > > > > > > > UA

Just plan an extra 10-15 minutes to get back over to your departure gate in C or D, especially if you haven't frequented IAD and aren't particularly familiar with the layout.

If you arrive in D take the moon buggy over to A and walk. If you arrive in C take the train and either get off at A and walk or go around to B and start at LH.

If you depart from D leave some extra time to catch the moon buggy back over to D - depending on time of day it can take longer than you expect.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Agree with above posters, only problem not mentioned about TK lounge is there is only 1 bathroom for the entire lounge. At least in the LH lounge there is a large multi-person bathroom. And since it gets packed and full and is a fairly small lounge lining up in that tiny hallway isn't pleasant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.